Dynadot

question Consult, Consultant, Consultants, Consulting, Consultancy. Which is better?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which is the better word for a company providing consultancy service.

Haris

Best Domainer Of The End-TimesTop Member
Impact
Hi guys,

Which is the better word for a company providing consultancy service.

And what word do most end-users prefer?

Consult, Consultant, Consultants, Consulting, or Consultancy.

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would go for Consulting. "Consult" looks and sounds incomplete. "Consultant" and "Consultants" are OK too. We use a "Consultants" domain for other business and have to keep stressing the "s" when we say the name. Fortunately we also own the same name in the singular "Consultant" version, which forwards to the plural domain in case someone forgets the "s". "Consultancy" is a less common version and would likely be misunderstood or misspelled.

•••
I would go for Consulting. "Consult" looks and sounds incomplete. "Consultant" and "Consultants" are OK too. We use a "Consultants" domain for other business and have to keep stressing the "s" when we say the name. Fortunately we also own the same name in the singular "Consultant" version, which forwards to the plural domain in case someone forgets the "s". "Consultancy" is a less common version and would likely be misunderstood or misspelled.

Thanks a lot mate. Very helpful answer.

•••
•••
consult because it is short and simple

•••
i think consultants would be the best.

•••
consultancy as you can target larger firms

•••
consult because it is short and simple

In this case, just because "consult" is the shorter word doesn't make it the best one. You wouldn't say "I am a Business Consult", you would say "I am a Business Consultant" or "We are Business Consultants" or "We undertake Business Consulting". I can't see a scenario here where "consult" would work.

•••
In this case, just because "consult" is the shorter word doesn't make it the best one. You wouldn't say "I am a Business Consult", you would say "I am a Business Consultant" or "We are Business Consultants" or "We undertake Business Consulting". I can't see a scenario here where "consult" would work.

Consult is used by some European businesses.

•••
yes choose what explains your business best. consult and consultancy might suggest different ideas from field to field

•••
With the limited context provided, I voted "consulting" (like most people, it turns out). In actual practice, naming a business, this really depends on the context. There are many different kinds of consulting services and it is often better to focus on the specific activity and use that as part of the name instead of the more general "consulting".

Last edited:
•••
consultants is the best but it still depends on the kind of business you have

•••
Consultancy and consultants I believe because that's how the firms are usually named or that's how they advertise themselves.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back