NameSilo

Consequences for Parking a Trademark Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I usually register domains for parking and I usually pay attention about clear TM violations.
However if you search words for trademark variations the result is that you cannot register anything ...
So let's make an easy and clear violation example.
I register aventoh.com and I park it.
aventho, avento, avent are TMs so I receive an URDP.
I don't answer, move the domain to no-content and wait that the domain expires.
Apart loosing the domain (for expiration or for the transfer of the domain name to the complainant), what risks can I take?
Or in other words, when can I owe monetary damages for that infringement?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess it all depends on name etc..some tm may contact u... and others may just ask park company to remove it... maybe some are in need of getting the name .. others do not care but just want it not parked.

•••
I guess it all depends on name etc..some tm may contact u... and others may just ask park company to remove it... maybe some are in need of getting the name .. others do not care but just want it not parked.
I don't see any dangerous consequence

•••
Or in other words, when can I owe monetary damages for that infringement?

When the TM owner has had enough, and decides to file suit under the ACPA for statutory damages of $100,000 plus attorney's fees. After you find out you can't afford an attorney to defend yourself, and after you find out saying "oh, okay, just have the domain name" won't work, then it will be time for you to either decide to pay whatever they are demanding to get you out of the suit, or you will simply default and the judgment will follow you for the rest of your life.

Other than that, no worries.

•••
When the TM owner has had enough, and decides to file suit under the ACPA for statutory damages of $100,000 plus attorney's fees. After you find out you can't afford an attorney to defend yourself, and after you find out saying "oh, okay, just have the domain name" won't work, then it will be time for you to either decide to pay whatever they are demanding to get you out of the suit, or you will simply default and the judgment will follow you for the rest of your life.

Other than that, no worries.
This again is country specific. Nothing is going to happen to the domain owner living in Middle East or Asia Pacific region, this probably might apply to countries like US, UK

•••
You'd be surprised. Virtually every country has conditions and procedures for the enforcement of foreign judgements. The prevailing party simply has to want to try hard enough, since the enforcement procedures can be complex.

Since you mentioned Asia, for example, this summary is for Korea:

http://koreanlii.or.kr/w/index.php/Foreign_judgment?ckattempt=1

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back