Domain Empire

question Company wants to buy my social username

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dondomainer

domainnamescom.comTop Member
Impact
This is the first time that happens to me, a company has offered me $ 400 for one of my username in one of the social communities, I don't know why I think they are willing to pay even more...

what do you think I sell?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is definitely nice to have and if it is available, i'd go for it, but if /rightbrand is not available (which it wasn't of course), I just go for /rightbrandcom which I did...

I think you have good chances to get your emd handle on Twitter by reporting a trademark issue here https://help.twitter.com/forms/trademark (use option 1 “I have a trademark and someone is impersonating my brand.”)

I did exactly that for my Twitter handle and it worked perfectly :xf.grin: I recall my emd handle was created back in 2012 and there were only 2 old tweets.

Your emd handle was created in 2009 and there is just one tweet posted in March 2009. No retweets, likes, etc. Account is dead and was created for the sole purpose of reserving the handle.

Good luck :xf.wink:

With that said, companies can easily get their exact match names on facebook, instagram, (not sure for twitter) by filing a trademark or copyright infringement. I did it once for one username on instagram and it workd, they gave me that username of course after proving i'm the legal owner of the TM.

Last edited:
•••
congratulations! I saw you sold it for $1700 good price.

•••
People are talking about TM's like if someone had Namepros and Namepros had the tm. The most valuable handles on Twitter and Instagram are generic, no one is getting based off of a tm. @M @beauty @Esports etc... Those accounts get followers from the get go because people just look to follow the handle of an interest they like or participate in.

•••
Exact match social handles bring the "trust factor" just like exact match domains. If you can get an exact match social handle and pair it with an exact match domain you are ready for business. You will gain instant trust. It shows establishment and seriousness. It looks clean. Your message is clear.

•••
People are talking about TM's like if someone had Namepros and Namepros had the tm. The most valuable handles on Twitter and Instagram are generic, no one is getting based off of a tm.
Were you referring to my post? I haven’t mentioned that I have a tm (I don’t), and I didn’t need it to successfully “hijack” my 2-word twitter handle.

When you submit a request to Twitter there are a few options to select from and you simply follow “brand impersonation” route. Nothing to do with a tm infringement.

Here is the screenshot from step 2:

B52F9BC4-C538-4B6B-8E38-F139A6AB0CD9.jpeg

•••
Exact match social handles bring the "trust factor" just like exact match domains. If you can get an exact match social handle and pair it with an exact match domain you are ready for business. You will gain instant trust. It shows establishment and seriousness. It looks clean. Your message is clear.
To me, it’s more like having a .com vs any other extension.

If your twitter handle is brandCOM/brand2/brand.something than anyone knows there is also just *brand* exist (and it was on twitter first :xf.cool:).

Last edited:
•••
Were you referring to my post? I haven’t mentioned that I have a tm (I don’t), and I didn’t need it to successfully “hijack” my 2-word twitter handle.

When you submit a request to Twitter there are a few options to select from and you simply follow “brand impersonation” route. Nothing to do with a tm infringement.

Here is the screenshot from step 2:

Show attachment 143450

No I did not even see your post, and brand impersonation does work if they are impersonating you. It's how Chase got theirs, they offered $20,000 the guy turned it down. But later they said there was a confusion and I believe he had time to change that perception but did not and lost the handle. I know plenty of people who have tried and lost as well. Parody is a very successful defense, but you need to note somewhere that you are not the person or brand and not affiliated with.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back