Companions.com - Need Broker

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Furgen

Established Member
Impact
I recently posted in another forum and have asked business associates for thoughts and ideas on this.

After discussing the possibility of selling this domain, I've come to at least one conclusion which is I will sell it at the right price or seek out a joint venture using the domain. To learn a little more about the history of this domain, please visit the site.

I believe this wonderful word tied to the right service could be an opportunity. I am constantly reminded about this by the sheer number of contacts looking to buy it.

The main reason for considering selling is because we don't know when we'll get around to working on this. We are bogged down with other projects and cannot focus on this just yet. I'm not sure when we might be able to which is why if the right price comes along, I'll sell it.

When I posted, I received some interesting input which helped me to better understand what I am willing and unwilling to do.

For example, I am unwilling to do a stacked deal and prefer a percentages deal. Based on what I believe this domain will sell for, I prefer not simply handing off a fixed percentage offering and would like a broker to send me their offer.

Next, I am already familiar with how business works, even if it is not buying and selling domains. No one is going to fly to a customers location to talk about this domain. No one is going to spend much money marketing or promoting this because the right broker will already have an established channel. Mainly, it will take time using emails and phone calls.

The right broker will already know who to put this in front of and will already have strong contacts. This is a great name so any potential buyer will know immediately if they are interested in not. It won't take all that much. The main thing will be to know how to negotiate and get the very best price.

I am not sure how one goes about finding the right broker because most talk the talk and I've no way of knowing if they can walk it too. It seems to me that the right broker should be one who can quickly get some idea of what they can sell it for, contact me about it and we go from there. In other words, someone who contacted me with initial details over someone who contacted me telling me they would do a good job seems like the better way to go.

Anyhow, I'm mainly looking for the right broker. That person will be someone who already comes to me with one or more leads and not promises of working hard for me.

The bottom line is that I expect this domain will sell at a price that can earn someone some very nice income for the work they will do. Contact me if that's you.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Perhaps this will help someone else in my situation.

After a short time of this post being live and my asking for input here and in other places, I have come to another conclusion.

A number of people have contacted me either on the site where I posted or through the contact page on the domain itself. Based on the offers I am receiving,

Many people are offering to broker which is very nice but much better are those who are contacting me with actual offers. Some want to buy the domain from me so they can resell it to a buyer they already feel will want it and some have an end user interested in buying and the broker is offering to handle the sale and tells me what their expected commission might be.

I have learned two things from this experience so far.

1: Cutting a deal with a broker who would then look for a buyer is hard to do because there is no way of knowing what you can expect from someone. However, when someone contacts you with an offer and a potential buyer, this makes it much easier to consider whom one might want to work with.

2: Based on the offers, it becomes easier to price the domain. Based on multiple factors, I have a price in mind. Initially, I thought my price might sound unrealistic to some but based on the offers I am seeing, I can see that I have already under priced it in my own thinking.

As I have explained to those asking what I think the price is, I am working that out using the following facts.

1: The constant offers I've received over the years.
2: Have been offered up to $500K yet knowing this was not the end buyer.
3: The fact that it's never been officially offered for sale.
4: Now that it's public, I've received private offers which are already higher.

I can see how difficult this game could be to someone who is eager to sell. Many brokers hide behind free email accounts to not give away who they might be working for and other factors make this experience even more difficult for sellers wanting the best price they can get, and should get.

I will update this when/if I have new information which could help anyone else in my kind of situation.

Also, I appreciate those who have contacted me. Please feel free to do so, either on the site where I've posted or on the domain itself.

•••
If you've been offered 500K for the name, you don't need a broker...

•••
•••
•••
Only brokers have contacted me to date, not end buyers. A couple of contacts talking about developing a site.

Keep in mind, I'm learning as I go and it is thanks to those who post and contact me that I learn a little more each time. When the right offer comes along, I think I'll know it. However, I suspect I should find someone who can put the domain in front of several potential buyers at the same time.

Last edited:
•••
(Had posted asking for form. No longer need form)

Last edited:
•••
Now that it's public, I've received private offers which are already higher.
Ditto on not needing a broker at $500k. If the above is true, then you really don't need a broker.

•••
Yes, it's true but in my mind, what ever I'm being offered by a broker means I can probably get double that if not triple that since most brokers will try to buy it then resell it to someone they know will pay much more for it. In my mind, I'm not trying to be greedy but I don't want to just give it away to someone who is :). I want a fair price and I know good domains is very hard to find anymore.

I don't know for sure but it's my sense since having posted and having been contacted in private. The very first offer was $200K in private and since I've put the notice on the site, a few other contacts and offers have come in. I don't know what to believe so I've not said yes to anything since I am not in a rush to sell.

I wanted some input here, not so much from a brokers point of view but from people who are in this environment. I think I was assuming the wrong things when I posted this here but that's ok.

Some day, someone will contact me and the offer will sound real, interesting and it'll be that day when I feel like it's time to let it go. In the meantime, I constantly feel that waiting is ok too because maybe I'll get some time in the future and finally come up with a really good idea for this lovely domain name.

Or, someone will contact me with a good idea that we can work on together.

In the end, I'm hoping that my posts might have some value to someone else who is sitting on something interesting but to be honest, I really don't know what that value might be. It depends on the individual I guess.

•••
Take the 500K and run. Its not worth that much IMO.

•••
Your to in love with that domain. It is not "all that" and at $500,000 I would have said SELL IT and live life nicely. Don't feel since you have one offer that more are coming and will be at more then the first. You will soon find yourself either selling it at a much lower price down the road or even not at all.

•••
Fair enough, I appreciate the input. Thanks.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back