.com vs .us question

SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
NamecheapNamecheap
Watch

Pb.com

Established Member
Impact
0
Say a site is worth 10k as a .com

What would the .us be worth?
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Some great discussions going on here and also some not so great arguments. But all in all good topic. Would be nice to make it a sticky or something.

If anyone has any more input, please reply. I did decide to purchase the domain that was a .us version of the .com. My logic behind it is that the domain and market for it is heavily centered around the United States
 
0
•••
With the economic situation, possible trade war issues, etc. I think there is a least some chance of end users wanting to make a patriotic statement.
 
0
•••
wow for some reason i never thought about .com meaning communications. makes more since.

I personally like .us extention, but i just dont see the point in using it over .com

i've owned only 1 .us domain, and it sold for the same amount as my .com's usually do, so all is cool.

i don't see the point of opening up the .us to people in the non us. Some countries want to whore their cctld for money. US doesn't need spare domain registration sells here and there.
Also many of the sites hosted with many cctld's arent even used for sites in that country, which ruin the purpose.

i'm very shocked that .co.uk is very popular in the UK, and is very active there because like i said most countries whore the names out and dont really use them.
 
0
•••
Some great discussions going on here and also some not so great arguments. But all in all good topic. Would be nice to make it a sticky or something.

If anyone has any more input, please reply. I did decide to purchase the domain that was a .us version of the .com. My logic behind it is that the domain and market for it is heavily centered around the United States

Would be nice to hear what you think personally :)

Good to see that you made the right choice though, only 299,999,997 to go :p

With the economic situation, possible trade war issues, etc. I think there is a least some chance of end users wanting to make a patriotic statement.

So...waving a flag will tell the world how patriotic you are? To tell you the truth, no one cares.

There is a well known secret why other extensions have been as successful as they have and that is advertisement and money. When one shows an advert on the television and then hundreds more do too the public perception is that it is the norm, when you have to get down to an argument like waving the flag you might as well take it out to the pasture and shoot it.

The last 500 years of your country have been about wealth and accumulation of that wealth, patriotism is all very well and good but it is a politicians tool and nothing more.

If you want to get people to start accepting it then you have to show them how it will affect their pocket big time, not give them a false sense of idealism that hasn't existed since the days of Abraham Lincoln.

I am not a particularly great salesman but I do know one thing if nothing else, idealism does not put food in your childrens mouth or get your wife (or husband) to stop screaming at you...money does.

Money is the only thing that is going to save that extension, telling every single person in America that is makes far more sense for the burger bar to have an extension that fits to their locality...If I find an advert on Google for a taxi firm called SpeedyTaxi.com I do not have a clue where they are based, or even on which continent, it makes far more sense to have SpeedyTaxi.us so then you are at least narrowing it down.

Keep international concerns to international extensions and use local extensions for local businesses...and open up the damn extension to everyone, no matter where they are. There is nothing better to kick start an ailing entity than to find out that someone else might get their share first. Domainers do not buy and sell .us for the most part because they do not need to, there is no competition and what is going rotten and festering today will likely still be rotten and festering in 20 years. Get them thinking that their prime steak might be disappearing down someone elses throat in 10 minutes and light a fire under their ass.

If you start marketing a domain purely on patriotic levels of false sentiment you have stopped being a businessman, domains are about money and nothing more to virtually every business, keep the patriotism to when you sell a domain to a retired servicemens charity. A vendor wants to know that the $1000 he spent today will recoup itself tomorrow while bringing in a good profit next week...that is all that matters to him and while he may wear a red and white pin badge while sitting at his computer looking at porn it means nothing in the real world.

wow for some reason i never thought about .com meaning communications. makes more sense.

I have been trying to explain this forever and a day now when it came up in conversation but you are the first person to even start to think that there may be some truth to it, for that, I salute you :)

But it does make much more sense that the DoD that actually set up the .com in 1985 way before the internet got commercial would use it for communications doesn't it? :)
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Americans are after all raping the whole world of their extensions aren't they?

You lost me after that.

Just between us rapists...

You have good points to make, but the underlying bitterness takes the legs right off of them. Sad to see.
 
0
•••
Americans are after all raping the whole world of their extensions aren't they?

You lost me after that.

Just between us rapists...

You have good points to make, but the underlying bitterness takes the legs right off of them. Sad to see.

It has to be said and it has to be said harshly sometimes, when a country is far more interested in going out and taking the domains of other countries rather than their own because of perceived profits in the greener grass what would you call it?

The whole of American domains is closed off to outsiders and yet they can freely take whatever they want from anywhere, there is something seriously wrong with that picture.

I am not bitter, it is a little too late for bitterness, I just believe in equality rather than empty platitudes. When a country keeps banging on about how freedom is paramount for all wouldn't they have learnt by now after 230 years that you have to lead the way in that?

I reiterate my point, I have nothing against American people as individuals as they do not make up the stupid rules, my argument is at the worthless management that put your extension in the crapper. Which is really what this discussion is about. I say again: love the person, dislike the behaviour.

If a country is to be truly free then it has to be truly free to all, not just a select few and that is where the crux of the extensions problems lie, they have closed it off to outside investment so now it just sits there festering while they go off and hog the domains of other countries around the world.

The GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!1!! deserves the greatest extension in the world, yet the Americans hate it and ignore it as one...so what is actually going on there and whose fault is it? I do not know the exact ratio of land mass that America has but if I was to say that it was 4%, are you going to blame the rest of the 96% of the world or blame those that were given charge of it?

Here is the line that keeps getting crossed: ----

At some point Neustar have to be held accountable for destroying what could've been one of the single most powerful extensions in the world in that there was no marketing (for a start), so little in fact that the biggest registrar in the world that is all about marketing based in America barely mentions it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I may be a miserable old coot and somewhat provoking on certain things but that is passion, when I believe in things I believe in them fully...somewhere along the lines it has been lost across the puddle. No one cares and complete and utter apathy rules the day, that saddens me.

It is not just this I have a problem with and I am angry about, I also really hate the way some extensions are set up on a shortsighted whim simply to take all the best keywords and auction them off years later...and do not even get me started on the .cm scam lol

We are in serious danger of descending into politics here but I will say this, if a company is ever given charge of something so important then they should have ALL their private assets stripped from them, that way they have to make sure it is a success and not simply a tool to line their own pockets that they can forget about.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
I'll keep the discussion confined to domains, otherwise we'll just go straight down the rabbit hole.

when a country is far more interested in going out and taking the domains of other countries rather than their own because of perceived profits in the greener grass what would you call it?

Capitalism. It's what people have been practicing for 1000s of years. It's why Chinese and other nationalities buy up US real estate, for example. If you think buying the cctlds of other countries is a bad (which the use of the word "raping" would indicate), then why would you want the US to allow other countries to buy the .us extension? People put their money where they see the most opportunity. And, oddly, I agree that the .us should be made available to all. I also think it's vastly under-appreciated by people in the .us, for a number of reasons.

You seem angry about the US not doing this, but who has been hurt by it? The .us domain itself has been hurt.

It's odd because I agree with your thoughts on the issue, but you pack so much emotion and hyperbole into it, it's obvious that your feelings about the .us extension are just a venue to express your feelings about the US.

That's what's sad.
 
0
•••
It's odd because I agree with your thoughts on the issue, but you pack so much emotion and hyperbole into it, it's obvious that your feelings about the .us extension are just a venue to express your feelings about the US.

That's what's sad.

I find it hard sometimes to take a step back due to an Aspergers slant in my personality, sometimes I have to be reminded that there are other people in the world that might have differing views on the matter lol My name is actually borrowed from the Sparrowhawk, which is a vicious little bird of prey from England that will never let its victim go even if it means flying into certain death...that is part of my personality lol

(Reminds me of the time I went up to the biggest bully in town and called him an ugly spineless b*stard to his face, that didn't go down too well either as I recall :p)

I do not believe it is exaggeration though, charity and also business has to start at home, yet it has been done all backwards. When all is said and done, Neustar have screwed the pooch and have to be held accountable for everything, their complete closed gates policy and complete lack of marketing being the two major ones.

The original question was how much value does a .us have compared to a .com and it has to be said truthfully that there is absolutely no comparison. A .com could be worth millions and the exact same keyword mere hundreds or thousands if you are lucky at this time.
 
0
•••
Sparhawke, your arguments are weak. All you've basically stated is that the US preaches freedom, yet limits ownership of .us to Americans. Limiting ownership of ccTLDs is what sets them apart from .com.

The motive for this thread is either a hatred of the US or you recently had a .us domain stripped from you. So which is it?
 
0
•••
I neither hate the US or have had a domain stripped from me.

What I hate above all things in all its forms is hypocrisy and mismanagement from those that are in charge.

Again, I go back to the original question to try to drag this back into normality since it has derailed; (admittedly by my own fault of trying to explain why the extension is a pile of crap in the eyes of the world) The extension has little value at all, there are some great keywords there and they may bring high values from those who want them but to create truly high prices you need competition and desire, something that no one has on this matter.

You may get the occasional burger bar owner that can see the forest for the trees, but speaking realistically you need hundreds of people doing that for it for it to have any appreciable effect on prices beyond a lucky crap shoot.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
.. don't know what bit to quote..


Couple of things.

Firstly, I think you've raised the importance of a ccTLD to something FAR MORE than it it. .us exists for registries/registrars to make money. Domainers are a by-product of a poorly regulated, poorly managed global commodity regardless of extension.

Domainers can quite happily making money in .US if you understand and know how to market and sell.. just like some make money with "hacks" some with .TV and many with Org.Net.Com. I personally think that registries/registrars and maintainers of extension have a responsibility to (a) Their stockholders/owner/investors and to the (b) Legal Framework (i.e. TMs, Cybersquatting, legal ownership, anti-theft). I assume that they they do (a) often neglect (b) and simply don't care about (c) Domainers. Why should they ?

You talk about patriotism in negative terms when it comes to business; however, you tie patriotism to the extension when defending its maltreatment. It's odd.

I would prefer if all ccTLD were managed for the benefit of the country. In the special cases- .me, .TV they should be permitted to sell the rights and convert to a gTLD... but here we have the issue of a lack of global oversight.

I don't think, however, that you understand America, Americans, or American marketing as it actually works. To put it in somewhat cynical terms - you have what I call a "Daily Mail" understanding of the US. {Though underlying all your words there seems to be a Grauniad coming out}. I think that much of what you say has some merit - but it seems to be with a clear bias.

The problem is that it's easy to say you separate the country from the man; but that's much easier said than done. It's the Baby Boomers "but I've got a Gay/Black/Lesbian" friend argument. That's not to say that you don't and it's not to say that you haven't... You're obviously a smart guy... so why raise the doubt in the first place?

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

I find it hard sometimes to take a step back due to an Aspergers slant in my personality
It's even hard when you're far apart and the words are typed! The limited :imho: ability to be nice :hearts: makes it hard sometimes :red:

Rule 1 of forums for me: NEVER take anything PERSONALLY. Ever.

The original question was how much value does a .us have compared to a .com and it has to be said truthfully that there is absolutely no comparison. A .com could be worth millions and the exact same keyword mere hundreds or thousands if you are lucky at this time.


Wow we could have saved some time if this was your first response :lol:
 
0
•••
I have thought a lot about .US removing Nexus requirements and can see both viewpoints.

.US is a rare registry that actually has Nexus requirements, and enforces them. Several domains have been seized from people who don't meet requirements (see Video.us 2x in one year)

Removing nexus requirements would certainly drive up reseller pricing, as it would bring more money into the extension. However, at the same time it would turn turn .US into something it is not meant to be.

I have no problem with countries having nexus requirements for their ccTLD. Extensions like .CA have requirements and I do not deal in them because of that.

If the other option is having a bastardized ccTLD that is marketed to mean something else, like .CO or .ME, I prefer to keep nexus requirements.

Brad
 
Last edited:
0
•••
The GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!1!! deserves the greatest extension in the world

Well, now that you mention it, greatestcountryintheworld.com is available, as is .us and all other extensions.

Halfway tempted to reg it - I'm well within my quota on silly domain buys this month.

I pick up the occasional premium .us, simply because I see the current situation as so bizarrely incongruous that it just has to change sometime. And, for localized services like taxis or ballet classes, it might even be preferable in the future, when the Chinese own all the .coms.
 
0
•••
You talk about patriotism in negative terms when it comes to business; however, you tie patriotism to the extension when defending its maltreatment. It's odd.

Patriotism and pride for the tools of your trade are not the same things...Im English and I think that has well been established, but I think the queens various hangers on like Prince Edward who have nothing but a title are a bunch of parasites; those that take a paycheque without actually doing anything. Diana wasn't like this, she actually went out and campaigned against land mines and she was well known throughout the world for this.

If you take a typical Google search the top suggested term for "what does prince" is "what does prince Edward do"...

It has nothing to do with the singer, or any other prince but the general feeling that he is useless and that is echoed perfectly by Google completing your query in such a way. Google knows he is useless and knows that if you are asking about a certain prince then you must mean him.

Now, I am patriotic to my country and tell everyone I meet on the internet that it is a great country, but we do have a useless asshole like him with a remote possibility that he could be our king one day.

Yet to be patriotic would mean that I have to love him unconditionally and our monarchy.

Mirror that in the pride I take for my chefs knives, a beautiful set of Henckels and I think they are wonderful, just because I have pride for them does not mean I am patriotic to them. They are simply a great set of knives, the best in the world.

Where is the pride and passion of the .us extension from its citizens, without all the feelings of patriotism to get in the way?

.US is a rare registry that actually has Nexus requirements, and enforces them. Several domains have been seized from people who don't meet requirements (see Video.us 2x in one year)
Brad

I wonder if anyone would've cared if it was simply a random collection of letters and it didn't have the Salem effect :p

I know people are likely to ask so I had better explain shortly, the Salem effect is where you have a piece of land that I covet, but I cannot afford it or simply do not wish to pay so I call you out as a witch and you are surely going to lose, by which point your land becomes forfeit and I can put in a claim. Basically legalised theft backed by the Powers That Be. And the thing is, there is no possible defense to having someone claim that you are a witch, you are simply going to lose. It is rumred that the old man who was pressed to death had valuable land that someone else wanted and this is why he lost his life, it had nothing to do with the witch trials, but money and power.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
if it was lkadjsflkajfasl.us and wasn't malicious, no one would have cared. Someone who tried to buy it and failed was butt hurt and told the popo :p
 
0
•••
I wonder if anyone would've cared if it was simply a random collection of letters and it didn't have the Salem effect :p

I know people are likely to ask so I had better explain shortly, the Salem effect is where you have a piece of land that I covet, but I cannot afford it or simply do not wish to pay so I call you out as a witch and you are surely going to lose, by which point your land becomes forfeit and I can put in a claim. Basically legalised theft backed by the Powers That Be. And the thing is, there is no possible defense to having someone claim that you are a witch, you are simply going to lose. It is rumred that the old man who was pressed to death had valuable land that someone else wanted and this is why he lost his life, it had nothing to do with the witch trials, but money and power.

The .US registry seized the domain because the owner did not meet nexus requirements. There is not much more too it than that.

Proving you meet nexus requirements is a lot easier than proving you are not a witch :)

Brad
 
0
•••
Appraise.net

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back