Dynadot

question .Com is taken, but others are available. Advice please.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Found a domain name I love, which I found on brandpa.com - the issue is, they have registered the .com and is up for sale for $3k but the .co.uk (which is the one I am looking for) is available with every other domain extension going. .net. .info .biz, etc.

What would the disadvantages be of me registering and creating my business with the .co.uk and not owning the .com? I don't think the domain name is trademarked, but obviously do not want to run into issues in the future with potentially getting sued. Unsure how this works when it is not an established business.

Thanks,
Ben.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
your key risk: you may lose some traffic (people usually tend to visit .com versions) and if your business grows bigger you might need to buy the .com version as well but the price will be bigger (the seller will see that you have more cash and traffic for your business becomes more valuable). Now it has 3k USD price tag, later it might be offered to you for 100k. You can google a number of these / similar business cases.
Probably, you can be ok with UK domain if you target only UK visitors and do not have a plan to get the business to the global scale.
Domain is your intangible asset and usually it appreciates in value (although it is not a liquid asset).

Disclosure: Brandpa seller (have a number of domains listed there)

•••
Found a domain name I love, which I found on brandpa.com - the issue is, they have registered the .com and is up for sale for $3k but the .co.uk (which is the one I am looking for) is available with every other domain extension going. .net. .info .biz, etc.

What would the disadvantages be of me registering and creating my business with the .co.uk and not owning the .com? I don't think the domain name is trademarked, but obviously do not want to run into issues in the future with potentially getting sued. Unsure how this works when it is not an established business.

Thanks,
Ben.
If it's the type of business which targets only that desired market then it should not make any difference. If its a business that is primarily targeting online sales then you need the .com.

•••
If your target market is solely UK, .co.uk should work just fine but owning the .COM would certainly give you a peace of mind. Which you already seem to understand... Tricky. You could always buy the .COM later if your business takes off.

•••
.co.uk along with the .uk extension is the preferred choice for those in the UK, and a good choice if you are solely looking to target UK customers. Owning the .com would be great as it will cut out possible competition providing it isn't trademarked. I don't see why just snapping a UK name would disadvantage you.

Last edited:
•••
If it was generic it would be worth it but don't build another's brand when simple decision now avoids it.

•••
Don't create an online business without owning the .com.
If its an offline business, then .co.uk is appropriate

•••
Back