IT.COM

discuss .COM is not the first choice but the ultimate choice

NameSilo
Watch

.COM is not the first but ultimate choice? Agree?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes I agree 100%

votes
    54.5%
  • Partially agree

votes
    33.3%
  • No I don't agree

votes
    12.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
A great point was brought forward in one of my previous discussions:

Companies go for whatever is the cheapest when starting off, and eventually, buy the .COM when they have enough funding. The ultimate aim is to get the .COM even if not use it actively like how Twitch uses .tv or Opensea uses .IO but still own the .COM and forward it to these names.

What's your thought?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thats the truth... in the end we do look for .com

•••
The brilliance. It's like.. mom and kid:

"Mommy, promise I'm your favoritest and the bestest kid on earth?"

"Yes Johnny, same as last week. Your the best kid ever and my favorite."

Children need to be reminded every now and then, don't they?

•••
COM is the first choice, and the ultimate choice

COM is the big kangaroo that lifts weights every day, powers through every workout, then he goes outside to pick a fight with 5 other kangaroos at once, wins, and then he grabs a beer at the bar

Every other "decent" domain (I stress the word decent, and only decent) is like the baby kangaroo in the pouch: You don't mind carrying him around

(For those carrying other domains than "COM", don't take offence - Tongue and cheek)

Last edited:
•••
My personal experience as publisher and advertiser is that advertisers or middlemen bidding for them and redirecting to them bid only on non-com when they run ROI campaigns with truly ultra low CPC.
I would always prefer the .com for monetization since it can have a higher EPC with just 1 x click as a domain.whatever with 1000 x. But that is just my own experience, build on years of observing networks and bidding practices there.

•••
I think both are true.

All things the same, the vast majority of non .COM owners would trade their extension for .COM if possible (with the exception being some .ORG and ccTLD, where they might be the first choice).

People generally go for other options because the best is not affordable, or not available at all.

Ultimately startups that are successful end up trying to acquire the .COM when they have the resources to make it happen.

Brad

•••
.com is popular only because it is the first commercial zone that everyone knows and everyone will remember, regardless of the context. The new zones are only popular on the Internet and users don't notice the difference when browsing the web.

google.com or www.google - this is same for people, but not for domainer.

•••
To me, I think it’s ridonculous

I mean think about it, we are a bunch of grown men arguing over what is the best extension when our focus should be to support good names, period ... this would grow the value of the industry altogether ^^^ and amazingly enough would shoot .com domain values through the roof ! whilst new .extensions start to gain the million dollar traction they deserve

Google, Bing, DuckDuck Go, all have shown us that they are not discriminatory against an .extension nor do they penalize a business’ for using a new .extension ... in fact in CCTLDs, we know that they award it based off geographical targeting marketing ...

If we could move past this ^ truly we could take this industry to new heights, parallel to that of crypto, NFTs, web3, etc

So many stubborn people, we call this dogmatism, however it makes sense, mankind wants to defend the value of what he has when he cannot face the simple reality of the inevitable

This my friends is a fact, 1,000,000,000 sites online, 350,000,000 domains in circulation, 100,000 business’ created every single day ... to think or justify that we as mankind could only utilize one .extension “.com” is insane beyond words

Last edited:
•••
To me, I think it’s ridonculous

I mean think about it, we are a bunch of grown men arguing over what is the best extension when our focus should be to support good names, period

Google, Bing, DuckDuck Go, all have shown us that they are not discriminatory against an .extension nor do they penalize a business’ for using a new .extension ... in fact in CCTLDs, we know that they award it based off geographical targeting marketing ...

If we could move past this ^ truly we could take this industry to new heights, parallel to that of crypto, NFTs, web3, etc

So many stubborn people, we call this dogmatism, however it makes sense, mankind wants to defend the value of what he has when he cannot face the simple reality of the inevitable

This my friends is a fact, 1,000,000,000 sites online, 350,000,000 domains in circulation, 100,000 business’ created every single day ... to think or justify that we as mankind could only utilize one .extension “.com” is insane beyond words

There is no argument needed. You can tell the story of .Com dominance with numbers.

It has more than half the market share of the thousands of other extensions (gtld and cctld) combined when it comes to usage.

When it comes to value, over the last (2) years 80.6% of all reported domain sales dollar volume is .COM.

That does not mean other extensions don't have value. It just means they are not .Com.

I sell other extensions quite often be it net, org, us, and others...but there is only one .com.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
There is no argument needed. You can tell the story of .Com dominance with numbers.

It has more than half the market share of the thousands of other extensions (gtld and cctld) combined when it comes to usage.

When it comes to value, over the last (2) years 80.6% of all reported domain sales dollar volume is .COM.

That does not mean other extensions don't have value. It just means they are not .Com.

I sell other extensions quite often be it net, org, us, and others...but there is only one .com.

Brad

Well of course you can Brad, how can anyone argue when .com has been the longest running .extension

In the grand scheme of things though, look at the banking industry, insurance, law and order, government, etc.

And tell me how long have these industries been running ?

40 years is a baby industry, the potential to far outgrow what we have now is insane to say the least, yes .com is a power source, I will say it is the BTC of the domain industry, however there is a massive amount of potential for us to create value in this industry that at the moment we cannot find common ground to formulate

I imagine if we were to understand each other and build value on other “good domains” over the course period of the next 5-10 years, we could radically change the domain industry ! And it should be us

Let’s be honest, who wants to shop for their groceries virtually

•••
Well of course you can Brad, how can anyone argue when .com has been the longest running .extension

In the grand scheme of things though, look at the banking industry, insurance, law and order, government, etc.

And tell me how long have these industries been running ?

40 years is a baby industry, the potential to far outgrow what we have now is insane to say the least, yes .com is a power source, I will say it is the BTC of the domain industry, however there is a massive amount of potential for us to create value in this industry that at the moment we cannot find common ground to formulate

I imagine if we were to understand each other and build value on other “good domains” over the course period of the next 5-10 years, we could radically change the domain industry ! And it should be us

Let’s be honest, who wants to shop for their groceries virtually

The dominance of .COM doesn't require any assumptions, predictions, etc.

It is what it is. It is basically as dominant now as when Frank Schilling called it "AM Radio" almost a decade ago. At the same time he was bidding thousands of dollars daily for expired "AM Radio" at auction.

Again, I have no problem with secondary extensions. I sell many, but there is still no comparison to .COM.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
If I had the chance to exchange all my non-com domains, for the same domains in .com I would do it .. just simple as that

Last edited:
•••
If I had the chance to exchange all my non-com domains, for the same domains in .com I would do it .. just simple as that
Must be some shitty names lmao

•••
•••
I personally would not profit very much from in example a polycount.com
having a polycount.xyz in my folio, using it for my brand.
The reason? only 3d Designers and game Developers understand the reason.
So even if the .com would be available, I wouldn´t invest more than $50 for
the com prestige, because the disadvantage to lose the xyz extension for the
string as such would be much bigger.
Also than I would rather redirect the com to the xyz, like I would redirect another
extensions to a superior com to fill the gap leaving nothing serious unregistered
for "freeloaders" when running a business on a com.
But this is a very, very rare case where a non-com would be a superior to a com.
We also all know com is king. And many who attemptet to assasinate the king
have lost everything, their "image", "prestige" and at least their potential to hold their
status quo in the industry. It is simply still not the time to attack the com! there is to
much capital invested in it. If you want to predict the future about the com... just follow
the capital.

•••
how can anyone argue when .com has been the longest running .extension

Net/org were introduced at the same time. Dot us just a month later.

Edit: first domain created was actually a .net if I'm recalling correctly...

Last edited:
•••
e.credit or e.com?

Can you buy e.com ?

No, no you can’t ... not even if you had $50M ...

you’re talking w/ someone who represented Q.com one time and yes you can buy Q.com / as well as z.com or x.com owned by Elon Musk ...

That’s 3 domains that are actually available and for sale ... the other 23 letters are not for sale

Last edited:
•••
Can you buy e.com ?

you’re talking w/ someone who represented Q.com one time and yes you can buy Q.com / as well as z.com or x.com owned by Elon Musk ...

That’s 3 domains that are actually available and for sale ... the other 23 letters are not for sale
You understood my point..

•••
Net/org were introduced at the same time. Dot us just a month later.

Edit: first domain created was actually a .net if I'm recalling correctly...

you are correct / ironically your name says it all, time is not everything, brand ability, marketing, and an unquestionable amount of money and time, all added up together equal what we know today

All I’m saying is, the value of the domain industry is peanuts to what it could be, yet were all caught up on who has the better extension, and why, because that’s what we’ve been told, seen, and heard

Obviously .com is still going to be number one, it is the most successful extension due to the above ^

All I’m saying is we should capitalize on the investment of “good names” it doesn’t matter what the extension is ^

Last edited:
•••
Can you buy e.com ?

I doubt those are for sale. Even at 50M ... X .com... No way.

•••
I doubt those are for sale. Even at 50M ... X .com... No way.

Pretty much everything has a price ... if you were a billionaire and offered Elon Musk an opportunity / who knows what that is ... And it’s worth it to Musk, and he accepts it, there you go

The other 23 letters are not legally for sale and are protected by ICANN

My point was there are only 3 single letter .com domains that are on the market / all owned of course /

x.com - Elon Musk

q.com - Century Link

z.com - GMO Internet (Japan)

Last edited:
•••
Pretty much everything has a price ... if you were a billionaire and offered Elon Musk an opportunity / who knows what that is ... And it’s worth it to Musk, and he accepts it, there you go

That's a big if... I've met the man on several occasions and I highly doubt he'd sell that domain for monetary gain...

Following your reasoning there'd be a way to obtain the other 23 L.coms by just throwing enough money at it. May actually work thinking of it...

Circling back, Yes. You are right, .com may not be the best tld but generally speaking it holds the most value with the biggest pool of possible endusers. Has been that way for a while, who knows what the future will bring...

•••
In my opinion .com is the first choice and the ultimate choice for the majority of businesses.

•••
Choosing com is not the top choice.

•••
First and ultimate choice .com is the alpha and omega

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back