IT.COM

.COM and .NET - Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
From Cnobin :

The VeriSign Registry for .COM and .NET domain names is requiring all Registrars to switch to the Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP).

Impact to .COM and .NET Transactions :

As a result of this change, all .COM and .NET initiated transfers will require an Authorization Code.

Also found this on : http://www.domaineditorial.com/

The original deadline for the completion of the migration was October 1st, 2006, but it has now been changed to a target date. However, as of the end of the month of October, registrars will no longer be able to connect to the registry using the RRP protocol. Thus the final deadline is the end of October 2006.

http://www.domaineditorial.com/archives/2006/09/08/com-and-net-go-epp/

It may add a little aggravation to some , But I'm all for it myself. It will hopefully slow down some of the hijacking taking place.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thats an interseting insight, I hadn't heard of this before, I don't have any problems with the idea..

•••
Hmm, interesting, could (hopefully) prevent some scams

•••
•••
Yeah - I'm attempting to transfer a few left at aggravating registrars ATM ... to make it a more comfortable transition.

Nothing worse than Reg's you have to call / email for Auth Codes :'(

•••
Nice! Looks like I need to finish off my site eppcodes.com :)

•••
Original link for the subject:

http://www.verisign.com/Resources/N...gistrar_Connections/page_038962.html#01000003

VeriSign plans on making an EPP Automated Batch Pool will be available in parallel with the RRP Auto-Batch Pool beginning on October 3. The hostname for the EPP server will be epp-auto.verisign-grs.com.

The VeriSign plans on decommissioning the RRP Protocol will be decommissioned from the .com/.net Production and OT&E Environments during scheduled maintenance on October 28, 2006. This will include decommissioning the RRP Auto-Batch Pool, per the July 27 notification.

Registrars must use EPP following the October 28, 2006 decommissioning maintenance and will no longer able to perform transactions using the RRP Protocol.

Just a note for those who are not familiar with this that SOP for transferring
.com domain names remain the same, with the eventual and additional step of
providing the auth code to the gaining registrar. Some domain providers also
call this an EPP code or transfer secret, the latter used mostly by webhosting
companies.

(What's with all these labels!?)

Note: Verisign replied to my query, confirming what's posted on that blog.

Last edited:
•••
This was in the plans of ICANN for a long time, just waiting for the .net/com contracts to renew.

On the one hand, I like the safety of EPP. On the other hand, it makes it very difficult to move a large amount of domains from one registrar to another. I just wish they would come out with a way to make a bulk transfer simpler by temorarily changing all auth codes in an account to the same code just before transfer. However, I don't see many registrars wanting to do this, as it would make it too easy for customers to leave them.

•••
To me it maybe one more step in transferring. But I dont think I would mind just a little inconvience for safety measures.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back