IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Did you really just compare Oprah to Joan Rivers?

Brad

--------> Quote of the day.

+20 points. The two are not even in the same universe in terms of influence, charisma, or...anything else.

•••
funny... Joan Rivers

... the problem with Joan Rivers is that she's one of those people that people either like or they "really don't"

i'm one of the ones who REALLY DOESN'T like her

.. so what happens when i see Joan Rivers in a magazine or a commercial?
i completely, 100% look away and tune her out as much as possible. I could care less what this idiot has to say about anything... why should anyone else?

that's actually two very funny (stupid), very odd and very UNfitting pushers of domain names within the past year - Don King being the other to play a part at TRAFFIC... ya can't exactly say that the domain industry is doing a good job in choosing their identity through celebrities.

who's next... Jose Canseco? Spencer Pratt?
... god help me... Snooki??

geez - WEAK decision from GD - grossly disappointed
... i hate that i have to root for this to work right now.

•••
I don't know what Bob and the .CO folks were thinking, it doesn't work at all. Plus the reaction of the average joe is exemplified by the people in the audience in the ad, total disbelief. They had to be egged on to cheer, which seems to be the case irl.

I think they changed their agencies from beer guys to Madison avenue types, the advertising appeals to a completely different demographic, or maybe that's the idea. Don't see this as a great advertising line for .CO, unless their aim is to target geriatrics who can't tell the difference between .com and .co :p

And not sexist???!! I think both were, in a bad way - cyber joan slapping her butt and the extended 'double d' take on the other one. If this their idea of humour they should have stuck to sexy and it would have been less sexist.

•••

The commercial was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad that I loved it.

GoDaddy spoofing itself, LOL.

Remember, more than half of the population are women who find the whole GoDaddy girl thing a total bore. Ugh!

I wouldn't be all that surprised if GoDaddy will slowly begin rebranding itself as a more professional organization.

Even adolescent boys eventually grow up and old.

:)

•••
I must have missed the .co commercial during the superbowl but I did see the Joan Rivers commercial. She looks great for 87 years old

D-:

•••
Did you really just compare Oprah to Joan Rivers? Is Joan Rivers really the right choice to help build credibility in something? I think not.

They would have been better off not even having a .CO girl, and making a 30 second pitch for the extension instead. If I didn't already know what .CO was the commercial didn't do much to make me want to buy it.

Brad

I was comparing their tactics, not their overall influence. but nice of you to find what you were looking for there. That's not a surprise. If it had been a hot bikini babe, you would have found something also wrong. At the end of the day you will find what you want. If its all wrong to you, once again, that's your perception, nothing more.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

The commercial was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad that I loved it.

GoDaddy spoofing itself, LOL.

Remember, more than half of the population are women who find the whole GoDaddy girl thing a total bore. Ugh!

I wouldn't be all that surprised if GoDaddy will slowly begin rebranding itself as a more professional organization.

Even adolescent boys eventually grow up and old.

:)

Exactly. That's the point. The approach is slightly more serious and the spokeperson is a mainstream person, not fringe. I'm sure their marketing department thought long and hard about this. A lot longer than most people's knee-jerk reactions.

If anyone was against the "sex sells" thing before, I don't see what your problem is now. Still you have a problem (not you ms. domainer) and now its something different. Nothing better to do than knock things. Do you even know who Joan Rivers is? Look into her biography a little deeper. Really is not such a bad choice overall. I'm sure they have a development plan for this. We'll see.

•••
sorry - Joan Rivers is a MORON and is widely thought of as nothing more than a JOKE!

WHAT normal, business minded person is going to take her seriously as the GD pitchman.. c'mon now??

"so.. i was thinking about a buying a new domain name for my business... i heard of this really cool idea called DOT CO... i heard Joan Rivers saying it would be a good idea to do so i think i may take a shot."

.. Riiiggghhhhhtttt!!!
that's gonna happen

not to mention the demographic of 50-80 year old women who can barely work a computer, let alone to type a domain name in the ACTUAL address bar ("no - that's not the address bar grandma, that the goodle search bar")

just a waste of time... they can have all the plans they want - this is just plain stupid from any and every angle - nothing more to say about it than that

•••
sorry - Joan Rivers is a MORON and is widely thought of as nothing more than a JOKE!

WHAT normal, business minded person is going to take her seriously as the GD pitchman.. c'mon now??

"so.. i was thinking about a buying a new domain name for my business... i heard of this really cool idea called DOT CO... i heard Joan Rivers saying it would be a good idea to do so i think i may take a shot."

.. Riiiggghhhhhtttt!!!
that's gonna happen

not to mention the demographic of 50-80 year old women who can barely work a computer, let alone to type a domain name in the ACTUAL address bar ("no - that's not the address bar grandma, that the goodle search bar")

just a waste of time... they can have all the plans they want - this is just plain stupid from any and every angle - nothing more to say about it than that

And how many people actually say "hey that jillian richards is real hot, i think i will buy a domain from Godaddy." Joan Rivers is an entrepreurial figure, that's all. Better leave the marketing to the big cheeses. There is more in this than you imagine.

•••
Joan Rivers is an entrepreurial figure, that's all. Better leave the marketing to the big cheeses. There is more in this than you imagine.

Agreed, this has nothing to do with people identifying with Joan Rivers and then registering a .CO name. Godaddy's ads have always been about creating a "ripple" and reaping the benefits of the reverberations, and that's basically what Joan Rivers does. Has nothing to do with connecting with the viewer. Simply an awareness tactic.

.CO's success will have little to do with who is standing in front of it, and much more to do with how many people know it / consider it. I can guarantee you my endeavors on the internet have zero to do with Danica Patrick's endorsement of the medium.

•••
And how many people actually say "hey that jillian richards is real hot, i think i will buy a domain from Godaddy." Joan Rivers is an entrepreurial figure, that's all. Better leave the marketing to the big cheeses. There is more in this than you imagine.

right back at ya...

because there's a BIG difference in 'Marketing' 'Branding' and 'Advertising'

The whole Danica Patrick, hot girl campaign that helped form the GD image was about 'Branding' and 'Marketing' - NOT the same thing as 'ADVERTISING' a new product or extension.

... i wonder how the suits over at DOT CO feel about this... they can't possibly be happy that with all the hard work they have done, that their prized new extension is going to be associated with Joan Rivers.

i'm sorry man... i don't why you're so in favor of this whole thing (the only one), but you can't tell me there weren't AT LEAST 10,000 BETTER options available than JOAN RIVERS!!!

•••
right back at ya...

because there's a BIG difference in 'Marketing' 'Branding' and 'Advertising'

The whole Danica Patrick, hot girl campaign that helped form the GD image was about 'Branding' and 'Marketing' - NOT the same thing as 'ADVERTISING' a new product or extension.

... i wonder how the suits over at DOT CO feel about this... they can't possibly be happy that with all the hard work they have done, that their prized new extension is going to be associated with Joan Rivers.

i'm sorry man... i don't why you're so in favor of this whole thing (the only one), but you can't tell me there weren't AT LEAST 10,000 BETTER options available than JOAN RIVERS!!!

This is about perception and leverage. Leverage being the operative word. Sex sells, but only for a while. A new approach is then needed. Look up Joan Rivers, you might be surprised what you find. If you understand mainstream media.

•••
Ultimately, perhaps the only way to see how well it went is (ignoring value of awareness raising in general) to get a sense of how many .co domains have been purchased likely due to this promotion.

The numbers for GoDaddy in general are awesome, like 2x last year.

Anyone know what .co regs look like now?

•••
.CO's success will have little to do with who is standing in front of it, and much more to do with how many people know it / consider it. I can guarantee you my endeavors on the internet have zero to do with Danica Patrick's endorsement of the medium.

I agree with fact that our endeavors have nothing to do with who's endorsing the medium. But in this case no one will remember (dot)CO. Just the crazy lady and GoDaddy.

Ask anybody on the street what they remember from the commercial... Joan Rivers making a full of herself and GoDaddy. Not (dot)co.

•••
I agree with fact that our endeavors have nothing to do with who's endorsing the medium. But in this case no one will remember (dot)CO. Just the crazy lady and GoDaddy.

Ask anybody on the street what they remember from the commercial... Joan Rivers making a full of herself and GoDaddy. Not (dot)co.

Yeah perhaps. But if they remember Joan Rivers making a fool of herself, they may tell their friends at work who may watch the ad on their computers etc etc. I think it has viral potential, independent of how it played in the instant on tv.

•••
•••
I noticed something which may serve as an indication of whether or not the .co commercial was effective.

On television site Hulu, it is currently listed as one of the most popular pieces: hulu.com/popular

Maybe this ad is actually a brilliant idea. It's so weird that people are discussing it - and, while not seeing the immediate .co thing, it is getting into people's heads.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks, but it's a tad early yet. According to SEDO, the Great Domains Premium Auction runs 2/17 - 2/24. Currently at SEDO members can submit their names for consideration for the GreatDomains auction. SEDO has their Premium Auction running 2/10 - 2/17.

-Regards

I doubt any .CO would make it into Great Domains at this point - their criteria is pretty strict. .CO isn't old enough to be considered "Great," in some people's eyes. If they mentioned somewhere that this is not the case, then I didn't hear about it. Sedo's planning a second .CO auction in March or April, but it depends largely on the outcome of the first one.

I can't imagine anyone talking about this commercial at the water coolers at work today. It was utterly forgettable. It would have been better to have a cool montage of people emphasizing the various uses of "CO"...community, company, etc. I still don't get the Joan Rivers thing. *mental grace delete*

On a completely different note, I received an offer on one today that was already entered into the second auction. C-o-r-d-u-r-o-y (dot) TLD.

I do not think it has anything to do with the commercial. Best of luck to everyone this week. I have a million things going on so I probably won't be around much.

Last edited:
•••
It looks like all valuable GEOs are taken. A couple of days ago I was about to register NewBedford.CO but I was beaten by none other than mr. Page Howe (and I'm sure many others of the big time .COM owners have been secretly acquiring .CO's).

•••
It looks like all valuable GEOs are taken. A couple of days ago I was about to register NewBedford.CO but I was beaten by none other than mr. Page Howe (and I'm sure many others of the big time .COM owners have been secretly acquiring .CO's).

That's actually bigger news than on first glance. It's also interesting that it was registered right before the SuperBowl. I think a lot of people had the same idea. If there was a particular name you wanted in .CO, better get it before the Superbowl, before any kind of rush in the market over the next few weeks.

•••

I've seen the name Page Howe all over .mobi Whois info as well. I fail to see how another domainer registering a .co means anything???

I wouldn't read into somebody elses registrations too much!

•••
I've seen the name Page Howe all over .mobi Whois info as well. I fail to see how another domainer registering a .co means anything???

Keith, nobody is reading anything into things. Every industry has its leaders and sometimes the opinions of those people are worth listening to. Peruse this link:

dnjournal.com/cover/2008/august.htm

The fact he registered a GEO domain (which he is known for) in the .co extension is interesting. Maybe some just like to hedge but interesting, nonetheless. If a high level domainer registers a .CO, there must be some degree of advocacy there. Since he doesn't own newbedford.com, clearly it's not a defensive measure. Thus one can asssume a degree of advocacy for .CO.

Last edited:
•••
If a high level domainer registers a .CO, there must be some degree of advocacy there. Since he doesn't own newbedford.com, clearly it's not a defensive measure. Thus one can asssume a degree of advocacy for .CO. I think this is what the poet is getting at.

Many of these "high level domainers" also registered .mobi. How'd that work out for them? It's pure speculation IMO.

•••

I'm not reading into anyone's anything. I meant just that: 20 seconds after I was about to register the domain, Mr Howe got it. This doesn't prove the big time domainers embraced the extension, in fact (excluding Mike Berkens and Elliot Silver) they've been critizing .CO on different levels, at least officially, but I'm sure at the same time many of them have been quietly buying into it.

Many of these "high level domainers" also registered .mobi.

Yeah, but they didn't talk so negatively about it as they have been doing for .CO (which paradoxically to me is a measure of their interest in the extension).

•••

Just curious.

What do you think about 3 and 4 NUMERICAL .co domains, especially if they spell something out on a phone keypad?

Last edited:
•••

Just curious.

What do you think about 3 and 4 letter .co domains, especially if they spell something out on a phone keypad?

So, are you talking about numbers then...?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back