Domain Empire
NameSilo
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Sdsinc -

LOL. Excellent article puts a whole new light on my thoughts. I would love to see what happens if/when the single letters are allocated behind closed doors.

Thanks,

Anthony.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Hi,
I'm Looking for the right place to sell my .co domains faster

1. NYv.co
2. Nagasaki.co
3. Saves.co
4. Fragile.co
5. Hitz.co
6. Implantation.co
7. Pakalolo.co
8. Rebellious.co
9. Stereotype.co
10.VisitQatar.co
11.VisitDoha.co
12.Orangutan.co
13.FamilyPhysicians.co
14.Abalone.co

Any Idea?

Thanks

•••
yeah, CoInternet has claimed that it was a false alarm and they've yet to hit the 1m mark.

Code:
http://www.cointernet.co/blog/false-alarm-folks

•••
•••
I prefer to invest rather than 'speculate' :)

I see. Please explain me the difference with some examples in domaining. It's so hard for me to grasp.

•••
I see. Please explain me the difference with some examples in domaining. It's so hard for me to grasp.

"Investing" is usually a long term venture where prospects for future gain/profit are quite high. Take for example buying "Doors.com". A solid generic product domain with a 25 year old, highly branded extension behind it. Future prospects of selling this domain at a higher price than you paid for it are very high. Thus you have a good" investment" for the upcoming years.

.so, on the other hand, is speculation, unless you have the very best keywords. If you have THE best keywords, that would be like an investment because the market is liquid with the top-top keywords. Any other registrations with .so would be speculative. Unheard of extension, no marketing and tough competition (ie .com, .net, .co etc). If you put big money in .so, you are actually "hoping" or trying to predict a totally uncertain future. Speculating always has a very high degree of uncertainty and risk. .com, on the other hand, is not uncertain because of it's history. It's like old real estate and thus a good "investment". Almost every new extension will be speculative, IMO, so choose wisely.

.Co, IMO, stands somewhere in between. The fundamentals are so good that it offsets its relative youth (although this extension had a demand 15 odd years ago and brings a lot to the table). I consider .CO an investment rather than a speculation, based on fundamentals.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
•••
I would say the level of risk makes the difference.

Example #1: you buy a strong domain in an established extension, say quotes.com.
It's a domain that is already worth something today. Most likely, its value will appreciate over time.
In case of a financial emergency you can even liquidate it today, possibly at a loss but it's better than nothing.
This is an investment.

Example #2: you buy solid .mobi or .co keywords because you believe you think these extensions still have a chance and they might become more fashionable in say the 5 or 10 next years.
But right now they are illiquid (hard to resell) and tend to be liabilities because of the upkeep (renewal) costs.
This is speculation.

Example #3: you buy domains in junk extensions such as .so or .tel.
This is throwing money away, because I don't see how those names can really be worth something one day.

•••

The answer provided are true but underneath it all there is an element of haughtiness about it. Investors know what they are doing and are older and wiser... Speculators are noobs still wet behind the ears.

Just IMO.

Last edited:
•••
so how are .co domains going lately?

and cheapest .co Registrar is...?

Thanks

•••
Is the o.co marketing driving traffic to the non-existent o.com?

Check out the traffic comparison between the two. If I recall correctly, January was about the time when Overstock began to aggressively promote the o.co rebranding. Is there a correlation, who knows, but I would imagine the Overstock advertising campaign is driving some traffic to o.com.

Is .com the typo of .co?

Code:
http://siteanalytics.compete.com/o.co+o.com/

•••

Check out the traffic comparison between the two. If I recall correctly, January was about the time when Overstock began to aggressively promote the o.co rebranding. Is there a correlation, who knows, but I would imagine the Overstock advertising campaign is driving some traffic to o.com.

Is .com the typo of .co?

Code:

That is interesting. Compete shows the .CO line as flat, and the .COM line as exploding since Overstock starting advertising O.co

Alexa shows O.com as 225,113 with no real trend upwards. O.co is 10,183,484

I am not sure what to make of the stats. The numbers seem to be way too low for how much they have advertised O.co

Brad

Last edited:
•••
That is interesting. Compete shows the .CO line as flat, and the .COM line as exploding since Overstock starting advertising O.co

Alexa shows O.com as 225,113 with no real trend upwards. O.co is 10,183,484

I am not sure what to make of the stats. The numbers seem to be way too low for how much they have advertised O.co

Brad

Yep, there is something off with those stats. I can believe that O.com has got a lot of traffic since Overstock rebranded, more than O.co, IMO, but the flatline is a dead giveaway that there is something askew. I think Compete has mixed the two together, somehow. I doubt that there is zero traffic to O.co.

•••

Is .com the typo of .co?

Code:

Although it's undoubted that o.com has been getting more visits than o.co, o.co's flat line was actually 'too flat' for me, that's why I wanted to check it with Google Trends and my suspicions were confirmed:

Code:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=o.co%2C+o.com&ctab=0&geo=all&date=ytd&sort=0

Obviously, O.com is still receiving a higher number of visits, but the difference between the 2 is more limited.

In particular, if we consider only 2011 (which makes sense as Overstock started promoting heavily O.co with the Christmas commercial), this is what the difference looks like:

Code:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=o.co%2C+o.com&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2011&sort=0

•••
Throw in b.com and x.com.

Code:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=o.co%2C+o.com%2C+b.com%2C+x.com&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2011&sort=0

Does this tell you anything? The point of o.co is that people type it in.. not search for it.

•••
•••
Well the .co registry expects to reach the one million domains mark before the Landrush anniversary however the last published figure was around 600K late last year. The Godaddy Superbowl promotion has added domains and special offer prices are now available. The ccTLD has been heavily speculated with many of the high value single keyword domains being long gone.

Pushing development in the ccTLD is going to be the major task for the .co registry in the next year or so. PPC parking and holding pages counts are high in the ccTLD and while there is development, it will take another year or two for it to gain critical momentum.

Godaddy might be the best priced registrar at the moment but I have not checked.

Regards...jmcc

•••

Cheapest registrar for .co domain is GoDaddy specially when they offer 30% off on NO MINIMUM codes which will reduce the renewal price to $20.99 which in my knowledge no other registrar is offering at so lower renewal price.

•••
Haha, right. This occurrence deserves its own topic thread.

The question remains, will they move the site over to the .com now? Domainers everywhere will be eagerly watching what happens. :gl:

The question has been answered. BenchMob.co is no more. The switch to the .com is complete. Smart move.

•••
"Investing" is usually a long term venture where prospects for future gain/profit are quite high. Take for example buying "Doors.com". A solid generic product domain with a 25 year old, highly branded extension behind it. Future prospects of selling this domain at a higher price than you paid for it are very high. Thus you have a good" investment" for the upcoming years.

.so, on the other hand, is speculation, unless you have the very best keywords. If you have THE best keywords, that would be like an investment because the market is liquid with the top-top keywords. Any other registrations with .so would be speculative. Unheard of extension, no marketing and tough competition (ie .com, .net, .co etc). If you put big money in .so, you are actually "hoping" or trying to predict a totally uncertain future. Speculating always has a very high degree of uncertainty and risk. .com, on the other hand, is not uncertain because of it's history. It's like old real estate and thus a good "investment". Almost every new extension will be speculative, IMO, so choose wisely.

.Co, IMO, stands somewhere in between. The fundamentals are so good that it offsets its relative youth (although this extension had a demand 15 odd years ago and brings a lot to the table). I consider .CO an investment rather than a speculation, based on fundamentals.

Hope that helps.

I would say the level of risk makes the difference.

Example #1: you buy a strong domain in an established extension, say quotes.com.
It's a domain that is already worth something today. Most likely, its value will appreciate over time.
In case of a financial emergency you can even liquidate it today, possibly at a loss but it's better than nothing.
This is an investment.

Example #2: you buy solid .mobi or .co keywords because you believe you think these extensions still have a chance and they might become more fashionable in say the 5 or 10 next years.
But right now they are illiquid (hard to resell) and tend to be liabilities because of the upkeep (renewal) costs.
This is speculation.

Example #3: you buy domains in junk extensions such as .so or .tel.
This is throwing money away, because I don't see how those names can really be worth something one day.

It seems that what we see as investment and what as speculation is very subjective.

When Ostrofsky bought Business.com for $150.000 in 1997, people thought (especially the "serious investors"): "only an idiot would pay so much for a domain name". He had to hide his identity as buyer in order not to disqualify himself as serious businessman.
Investing in domains (and .coms were probably the only domains people invested in at that time) were DEFINITELY considered speculation, although it turned out to be a much better investment than the type of investments which people called "investments" in 1997. By the way Ostrofsky sold Business.com two years later for 7,5 Mio$

Today you consider buying .com as an investment, while for example real estate investors still consider buying .com as speculation.

So it is a question of the subjective risk assesment and the subjective valuation of the potential roi, what we consider to be investment and what speculation.

It looks like "investment" is what the mainstream does (or what the writer does) and speculation is what the others do ;)

By the way LONG TERM "investments" in regard to internet are extremely risky, so they dont deserve the name "investment" according to your definition. To realize this just compare the internet in 1995 with 2011 - nobody can say how internet will look like in 2025.

Note that for people who bought or registered .com domains in early days (for investment) these domains were liabilities for a long time before there appeared any monetization possibilities. And despite that exactly those investments were the most profitable.

Now let's take a REAL scenario in order to compare investing in .com or .co using your definition of risk and possible profit:
Take 10.000$ you can afford to lose.

1) Would you invest in ONE third range .com domain (with a possibility to flip it for 20.000$ or maybe 30.000$ in a long term if you are lucky)?

2) Or would you prefer to register 400 Top .co domains in landrush with a possibility to sell each of them in the first year for $10.000 (see the sedo auction), or maybe for $100.000 in a long term?

Which action bears more risk? Which action constitutes more chances, higher possible profit? Which choice deserves the name investment, and which speculation?

Last edited:
•••
1) Would you invest in ONE third range .com domain (with a possibility to flip it for 20.000$ or maybe 30.000$ in a long term if you are lucky)?

2) Or would you prefer to register 400 Top .co domains in landrush with a possibility to sell each of them in the first year for $10.000 (see the sedo auction), or maybe for $100.000 in a long term?

Which action bears more risk? Which action constitutes more chances, higher possible profit? Which choice deserves the name investment, and which speculation?

I would invest in one .com vs many .co.

1. There is zero chances of selling several .co for 10k in the first year. Not by the same owner anyways!

2. Consider renewal fees on hundreds of names vs just one nice .com.

3. .com is proven and recognized worldwide. .co will never achieve recognition on a global scale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back