IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Two ways

Yes, they definitely care. In mature markets, consumers strongly identify with their home TLD. This is valid for most of Europe, to varying degrees. .de is the prime example of an extension that has been instilled in the minds of consumers.

This is a real interesting discussion. In Sweden - I´m in Sweden - ".se" is the main extension. The cctld. The natural.

Dotcoms in swedish are seen. But there´s another competitor: .nu, which means "now" in swedish. .com, for swedish domain names, is inferior to this extension derived from a small island kingdom in the pacific.

.Co is a dream, but a vivid one.

Relations to extensions grow over time. .co has meaning, however maybe not as poignant as ".nu" for an extension, but it has the potential of being some sort of ".nu" for english speaking countries. It also has a head start on the new gtlds.

I guess there´s just two ways of thinking really. Newbs and wealthy veterans alike invest in what might be.

The newbs that didn´t loose everything but got a little burnt, swing the other way and become grinders that buy and flip .coms for meager, and safer profits.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, they definitely care. In mature markets, consumers strongly identify with their home TLD. This is valid for most of Europe, to varying degrees. .de is the prime example of an extension that has been instilled in the minds of consumers.

For that reason, saturation in the local extension (.de being a good example) is not going to translate to higher demand for whatever 'alt' extension.

Yes, .de IS the valid address for Germany and everyone HERE knows it. But does everyone around the world? No. Do they care? No. People want functionality. If you survey 1000 people, 99% want functionality and they don't care about hair-splitting. If you can cater to the market in this way, you are ahead of the game. The people behind .CO know this and that is why public awareness of the extension is growing.

•••
glow.co auction at SEDO. $2500 bid. And two lowball bidding wars on racquetball.co and superstar.co.

•••
For you .co speculators, this could be very good. Oakland A's/ Raiders stadium is being named Overstock.com stadium and I'm sure will become O.co stadium

Link

•••
Oakland A's/ Raiders stadium is being named Overstock.com stadium and I'm sure will become O.co stadium

They might leave it Overstock.com stadium though.

Bad news is that stadium is a dump compared to the new standards, i been there, closest NFL to where I live

The black hole is now the big O lol

The Raiders have a history of not selling out their tickets. I can hear the references to Understock.com stadium already. LOL

Have a safe trip back from .FR sdsinc

Last edited:
•••
They might leave it Overstock.com

I'll bet all my $NP that this time next year and the year after they are STILL overstock.com (unless they are bankrupt or get o.com) and o.co is still just a shortener and their logo.

I don't see any real effort to rebrand.

23NP?!?! Wow ! Can you handle that kind of non-monetary wager? :)

•••
They don't care about the meaning behind it but what it has come to represent. People don't care why it's co.uk and not .uk - they just use it. People obviously understand .de and .es and use it. No one knows why .com but they use it quite happily.
Most of .com's position in any country level market (apart from the US and Canada is historical. The .com was effectively the first and most well branded of the TLDs.

What matters is how that has been used and ingrained in society. German companies use .de. Spanish use .es. People? They use what they're told to use. If enough people tell them the same thing - they get comfortable.
The ccTLDs belong to the countries in a way that .com and the gTLDs do not. People identify with their country. They see their local ccTLD being used on television and media advertising. After a while they assume that all domains and websites selling to their markets use their ccTLD and that .com etc are for selling to the rest of the world. There's also an interesting aspect to the way people remember websites. It used to be (before the rise of the ccTLDs) that people would assume that any website address ended in .com. But the saturation of the ccTLD markets changed that. The ccTLDs also have another interesting angle in that people don't really have to remember the extension because they are in the country. It makes ccTLD websites and domains more memorable.

It's more obvious that use beats intent when you look at hyphens. Germans have no problem with hyphens... Americans? Who knows? No one uses them - and as a result no one trusts them (because a lot of hacker/adsense/domainer sites are hyphens).
It is a strange thing. But some German words are combinations of smaller words.

Once upon a time there were no .DE and no .CO.UK so the argument for .CO is - time is needed to establish, and of course, we're not there yet, and only nine months old.
It will take time for a ccTLD such as .CO to become established and it will be measured in years.

.MOBI fits a needs but .MOBI is failing as an extension (but the NEED is still there and the solution is still unknown... )
Actually .MOBI has been increasing in registrations. However it is an application specific TLD (mobile devices) and many domainers still treat it as a .com equivalent. Indeed much of the early investment/domaining in .mobi was driven purely by the value of the equivalent domain in .COM TLD.

1. Domainers who are renewing.
The most reliable segment of renewals will come from brand protection registrations. Some domainers will hold on to their domains for at least one renewal cycle. A lot of the junk will drop in the first Landrush anniversary but the effect of the second anniversary may be more important.

The GREAT .CO are more out of reach than a HIGH QUALITY .COM. This is the reality that .CO investors are fighting.
Agreed to some extent. There's still some opportunity left in .co but many of the high-value single keyword domains are long gone.

Regards...jmcc

•••
For you .co speculators, this could be very good. Oakland A's/ Raiders stadium is being named Overstock.com stadium and I'm sure will become O.co stadium

Link

I can hear it now. "Welcome to OH-COH Stadium". Sounds pretty good and fits nicicely with "OH-kland".

•••
Glow.CO now Auction at Sedo,
Glow is a Premuim Word,So Many Enduser,Glow.co.uk sold $31,015 at Sedo on 2008

•••
"Even the Overstock.com moniker is temporary because the company is in the process of rebranding itself as O.com."

Code:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f825df/article/report-raiders-stadium-to-be-called-overstockcom-coliseum

I think the reference to an o.com rebranding, perhaps a typo, is more accurate than a complete rebranding to o.co. O.com is the name that Overstock wants.

Check the Alexa rank for o.co, granted some are perhaps entering the term in search engines, but only a handful of people are actually typing that into their address bars, it certainly hasn't caught on yet as even a shortcut despite all the promotion.

We'll see what happens but rebranding from an identifiable and established name to an ambiguous and meaningless letter on a new domain extension would not be very wise. Even a complete transition to o.com should it become available to them doesn't make much sense. If Amazon got a hold of A.com or Google obtained G.com, I'm pretty sure they would not attempt to rebrand. But, for whatever reason, it seems Overstock believes that such a move would be beneficial. I just don't see it.

•••
The ccTLDs belong to the countries in a way that .com and the gTLDs do not. People identify with their country. They see their local ccTLD being used on television and media advertising. After a while they assume that all domains and websites selling to their markets use their ccTLD and that .com etc are for selling to the rest of the world.

Somewhat. People identify with their ccTLD because this is how they were used. There was not an innate association at birth which your argument implies. After a while they assume (because enough use it this way) that .co.uk is for the uk. I for instance, actually use amazon.co.uk AND amazon.com depending on what I'm buying and for who. The companies are using the extension that way.

But the other point is that the association is created through use more than anything else. That use established meaning. If before co.uk came around everyone decided to .england or .com.uk or .gbr or .51stState then that would have been fine.

No one question back in 1992 why we had ac.uk for our university e-mail. We just used ac.uk. No one asked why and no one cared. No one asked why it was Mosaic.com (remember that?) and then mono.co.uk. I guess we knew it was in the US vs UK but it wasn't an issue. People say that the young grow up with new TLDs so are comfortable - so are those of us older folk who grew up with it :)

The problem for .co is that it is trying to have global reach which won't happen because most of the users are going to be SMB who often demand LOCAL reach.

I think that the extension would have been great for ONLINE ventures... just not as a catch all. It's kind of meaningless. It's just another extension. This could change if there is a correlated use for .co. .me is trying to find its meaning and .TV is trying to find its meaning. They are more obvious to me but each person is different and travels in different circles. It's unclear to me what .co is to become. Everything I read is about .CO as purely an investment .. or typo of .com.

.mobi is interesting because I think .mobi still has a lot of promise but it is relying on first adopters (even now, 4 years later!)

There's also an interesting aspect to the way people remember websites. It used to be (before the rise of the ccTLDs) that people would assume that any website address ended in .com. But the saturation of the ccTLD markets changed that. The ccTLDs also have another interesting angle in that people don't really have to remember the extension because they are in the country. It makes ccTLD websites and domains more memorable.

I agree with the first half in non-USA. In the US.. you say X.TV or Y.ME they still think XTV.com or YME.com. It's a real problem to startups that don't budget marketing properly or assumet that name = brand without effort.

The main issue is that companies don't know how to effectively market and brand. The DOT is the most misused punctuation in branding. .TV is a prime example. Many companies brand as XXX.TV but DON'T own the .TV. Many companies own the .TV and market as BRAND TV.

Too many dumb people in marketing.

It is a strange thing. But some German words are combinations of smaller words.
German creates words from other words. This is true. Doesn't explain the hyphen though!

It will take time for a ccTLD such as .CO to become established and it will be measured in years.
i don't know that it will. Not sure what its meaning is. But I will NOT be the one deciding. Developers harp on about development development development.. and this is true ... but it's not about development it's about real usage. Domainer curated garbage means Sweet FA!

Actually .MOBI has been increasing in registrations. However it is an application specific TLD (mobile devices) and many domainers still treat it as a .com equivalent. Indeed much of the early investment/domaining in .mobi was driven purely by the value of the equivalent domain in .COM TLD.
I'm looking into this. I think there is promise. The question is not whether the platform and the solution need .MOBI.. it's whether .MOBI make the solution easier. I'm an advocate of separation of mobile/main site.

The most reliable segment of renewals will come from brand protection registrations. Some domainers will hold on to their domains for at least one renewal cycle. A lot of the junk will drop in the first Landrush anniversary but the effect of the second anniversary may be more important.

A lot of non-junk will too. I will predict that a number of people will pick up .co for regfee/dropcatch fee that they sell for $!K+

Agreed to some extent. There's still some
opportunity left in .co but many of the high-value single keyword domains are long gone.

My point was not that there isn't opportunity in .CO - there is. My point was that for a non-reseller that there is great opportunity in .com. Not every great domain is $1 M.

I love reading your posts. They're not like most. They're Unbiased, Reasoned, Supported, and matter of fact. I try to be that but opinion sneaks in and people focus on that and and misunderstand that I'm trying to be rational.

Rep your way if allowed.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

"Even the Overstock.com moniker is temporary because the company is in the process of rebranding itself as O.com."

A company that has its focus on branding itself as O.com ? Drop your holdings.

O.COM means NOTHING. What is O.COM? NOTHING.

The problem overstock.com has is that overstock.com makes it sound like it carries all the crap no one else wanted.

If Overstock.com wants to rebrand itself it needs to define what it IS first and foremost.

O.com is the NAME and not a BRAND. What they sell, provide and to whom is their BRAND. The Name gets associated to that brand first and foremost. It does not work the other way around unless the new name is extremely well thought out and planned. O.anything is not that.

But that's not .co and off topic to the strict moderators of this thread :)

Last edited:
•••
I keep hearing this story about overstock wanting o.com. I am yet to hear one valid reason why overstock, a company who no one outside the US has ever heard of, would just be given o.com.

Surely single letter dot coms will be auctioned off to the highest bidder. This overstock company, who from what I have read sell tat and make an loss every year, will be competing with various other organisations such as Oracle.

Love to hear the reasoning behind this story.

•••
I keep hearing this story about overstock wanting o.com. I am yet to hear one valid reason why overstock, a company who no one outside the US has ever heard of, would just be given o.com.

Surely single letter dot coms will be auctioned off to the highest bidder. This overstock company, who from what I have read sell tat and make an loss every year, will be competing with various other organisations such as Oracle.

Love to hear the reasoning behind this story.

They clearly want O.com, as you can see from their trademarks. However, the odds of them ever getting it are very remote.

Here is something back from 2005 -

Meanwhile, a handful of companies have asked ICANN to free up the single characters. Overstock.com Inc., for instance, prefers a single-letter brand of "o.com" because its newer businesses no longer fit its original mission of providing discounts on excess inventory.

There are only (3) L.com grandfathered in, and the other L.com will more than likely never become available.

If they were released it would clearly be via some competitive process.

They have no realistic claim for O.com. They are a relatively small company ($345M Market Cap).

There would be many other interested parties in O.com, I am sure with a budget well above what Overstock could pay.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Thanks Brad,

Thought I was missing something.

Anthony.

•••
•••

That was a great read! One thing is for sure...this industry needs to be cleaned up in a major way. Too many shady happenings going on in order to capture elite domains.

Btw, you may all refer to me as k.com from now on instead of Keith. With the help of all you NPers I may be able to establish rights to a true gem. K.com shirts and hats coming soon :kickass:

•••
Somewhat. People identify with their ccTLD because this is how they were used. There was not an innate association at birth which your argument implies. After a while they assume (because enough use it this way) that .co.uk is for the uk. I for instance, actually use amazon.co.uk AND amazon.com depending on what I'm buying and for who. The companies are using the extension that way.

I think JMCC has it right. .co.uk is the odd bird in the ccTLD games. Most ccTLDs are more sensible. If we look at other ccTLDs many are using the same code as the abbreviation of the country. For example DK is the short way of writing Denmark and sure enough it is also our ccTLD.

I did a bit of research for my masters thesis on the implications of choosing a ccTLD over a gTLD for MNEs. Although I only did the study on Danish consumers it can act as a trend indicator. I found that Danish consumers put inheritly more trust in their ccTLD than in gTLDs. On a trust index scale from 1-5, .DK received a trust index score of 3.2, compared to .com which received 2.3. Quite the difference. Though it must be remarked than Danes in general have a large degree of trust in all things Danish.

•••
IMHO they had been after O.com for years, but when they learned about the chance of getting O.co, they focused their attention to this one. It's very unlikely that Overstock will ever obtain O.com and, after paying $350,000, I think they aren't very interested in it any longer. After all, they already proved they can run a business on a non .com (O.biz).

•••
BTW it looks like the new brand is starting to catch people’s attention. I attached a screenshot of some of the most searched phrases about it on Google (just a few months ago Google showed only one or two suggestions). It’s interesting to notice the last one "how did overstock get o.co".

Attachments

• 29x8cug.png
    29x8cug.png
    94.5 KB · Views: 48
•••
I really can't see them completely rebranding as o.co. So far, it appears the trial implementation and marketing of the new o.co name has not been successful. The name is either not sinking in or being understood by the public viewing their commercials or visiting the site. It's not clear whether the low numbers are a result of confusion over the name or simply the strong impression that the Overstock name has already made. But, one thing is certain, there are only a very small number of people typing o.co in their address bars. Look at the Compete.com or Alexa numbers. If just one office at Overstock corporate started typing o.co for direct navigation, it would probably have a higher ranking than it does now. O.co is not working from that standpoint.

So, .co domainers or those thinking about investing in .co names based on the hype surrounding the potential name change should not count on Overstock becoming o.co. Could it happen, perhaps, but other options appear more plausible. They may continue to use it as a shortcut or perhaps they'll spin it off as a minor site as they've done with O.biz. But, a complete rebrand doesn't seem likely now.

And wouldn't this be the perfect time to make the change rather than spending a significant portion of the naming rights money for a period of time promoting the Overstock name as well as moving forward with the Overstock name on all the signage and ancillary things that will display the stadium's new name.

•••
@rusty1000

I agree with you, maybe Overstock will not rebrand itself completely. But whether it will or not, the mainstream coverage this has been attracting, both online and offline (TV commercials), is all free exposure for the extension.

•••
I'll bet all my $NP that this time next year and the year after they are STILL overstock.com (unless they are bankrupt or get o.com) and o.co is still just a shortener and their logo.

I don't see any real effort to rebrand.

23NP?!?! Wow ! Can you handle that kind of non-monetary wager? :)

Ill take Juanny's 2 year 23np bet on the Oakland Stadium being called O.co Bankrupty or getting o.com nullifies the bet lol

"But don't get used to the Overstock.com label. The Salt Lake City-based firm is in the process of re-branding itself as O.co in an effort to gain customers around the world and the company has the right to change the Coliseum's name to the O.co Coliseum at any time."

There going to spend $1.2 million a year for the next six years. to name the stadium. That 7.2 million. They will pony up the cash to get O.com when the time comes to them.

•••
@rusty1000

I agree with you, maybe Overstock will not rebrand itself completely. But whether it will or not, the mainstream coverage this has been attracting, both online and offline (TV commercials), is all free exposure for the extension.

I can't argue with that. The press regarding the potential change and the advertising of the new name are beneficial to .co.

I will admit that perhaps it's too early to judge whether the rebrand will ultimately be successful and if continues to be promoted with a strong marketing push, it could still catch on. Right now, the o.co name is competing with the Overstock name and until a complete rebrand is effected, the Overstock name will continue to stick in the public's mind. They've left the possibility of a complete rebrand open so maybe they will continue to assess things for a while longer.

•••
So far o.co is a redirect, so it's nothing more than a URL shortener... anyway Overstock is just one prominent .co user. Extensions don't become mainstream just because a few high profile websites are using it.

•••
anyway Overstock is just one prominent .co user. Extensions don't become mainstream just because a few high profile websites are using it.

Exactly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back