Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
I assume the statement was in jest, because on the facts it is totally ridiculous.

Brad

It's marketing spin. You take something that's obviously absurd but align it to something that's a universally accepted truth to prove a point.

The point is not that .com stole anything from .co. The point is that there is a history (which there really isn't because it's made up) to the extension thereby wrapping a truth around a lie gives actually adds an air of legitimacy.

The absurdity of it all means that it can't be taken at face value so he's not selling a lie.

It's very clever.

•••
•••
I assume the statement was in jest, because on the facts it is totally ridiculous.

Brad

What are your facts? Here are mine.

Technically, Juan is correct. When we remove the dot from both and compare co with com, co has the much richer history. "com" is a contemporary invention spanning only 25 years. TV commercials and financial matters were never shortened to "com". In the 1950s, it wasn't "hey how about that new TV com". But we have been hearing for centuries, "What's the name of your new business...oh yeah, ABC Trade CO". com never took off as an abbreviation and even to this day, maybe .ooo1% of the public can identify "com" as "commercial".

".tv" is also a very nice extension because it has the "television" recogniton already spanning several decades which is technically older than "com" as well. When we get into the technicalities of the abbreviations, com is the young guy. This is why Juan Calle called out this whole typo argument that has gone on. For people who want to believe co is a typo of com, clearly, history proves differently.

Even in terms of branding, co has been around a lot longer than com. Go to the annals of any trademark registry and find out how long they have been trademarking "co" and how long they have been trademarking "com".

•••
My first .co domain - peliculas3d.co - in Spanish 3d movies

•••
•••
•••
Thanks for replying, anyway that's the same commercial posted by silentg, which you said is the old one. I was referring to the one you were talking about.

Oh yes I see now. Silentg actually posted links to separate commercials so overstock is running 2 ads now. I hadn't seen the valentines ad before last night.

•••
Oh yes I see now. Silentg actually posted links to separate commercials so overstock is running 2 ads now. I hadn't seen the valentines ad before last night.

I like the way they're slowly getting people used to the new brand. Initially you could view 'O.co' only in the last 2 seconds of the commercial, now they're highlighting the transition with the old 'Overstock.com' logo that rolls into the new one. Pretty effective.

Opportunity.CO has a directory of developed domains. Some nice ones there:

Code:
http://www.opportunity.co/case-studies/directory.php

•••
I knew Morgan had kind of taken a hot/cold stance on .CO. but he seems to be becoming a bit warmer over time. He wrote a short article on a company called Mercury Web Media and is advocating them. They seem to be selling a whole range of category-killer .COs. Check it out here:

morganlinton.com/looking-for-that-category-killer-co-look-no-further-than-mercury-web-media

•••
I knew Morgan had kind of taken a hot/cold stance on .CO. but he seems to be becoming a bit warmer over time. He wrote a short article on a company called Mercury Web Media and is advocating them. They seem to be selling a whole range of category-killer .COs. Check it out here:

morganlinton.com/looking-for-that-category-killer-co-look-no-further-than-mercury-web-media

Thanks for posting, but that's a sponsored post (meaning they paid Morgan to write it, it's listed right there under the article), and it seems to be nothing more but a domain investor's company selling .COs. Their actual website is on a .com.

•••
Just bought falsenails.co and dogbowls.co

•••
Thanks for posting, but that's a sponsored post (meaning they paid Morgan to write it, it's listed right there under the article), and it seems to be nothing more but a domain investor's company selling .COs. Their actual website is on a .com.

HEEEEH! Shame on Morgan for endorsing something he doesn't endorse. What do domain people think they are, football superstars or something? LOL

BTW, I don't see the problem selling .COs on a .com website. Godaddy.com does it all the time.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Just bought falsenails.co and dogbowls.co

I like dogbowls.co. A nice 2nd tier 2 word product generic. Falsenails.com is all right, but somehow, IMO, the keywords always come from the wrong side.

•••
All I'm saying is, don't read into it. Morgan owns a couple of .COs, but that post is nothing more than a paid endorsement of someone's overpriced .CO portfolio (many of those names are $15,000+).

•••
All I'm saying is, don't read into it. Morgan owns a couple of .COs, but that post is nothing more than a paid endorsement of someone's overpriced .CO portfolio (many of those names are $15,000+).

But obviously he must be getting 'warmer" to do the endorsement, don't you think? Thoughts about the portfolio prices, well, that's a different thing.

•••
I like dogbowls.co. A nice 2nd tier 2 word product generic.

"2nd tier" says it all. In these alternative extensions you must have 1st tier, high quality names or else you're going to almost always lose money. A few will get lucky sales but I wouldn't bank on luck!

•••
"2nd tier" says it all. In these alternative extensions you must have 1st tier, high quality names or else you're going to almost always lose money. A few will get lucky sales but I wouldn't bank on luck!

I disagree and agree. .CO has an infrastructure that other extensions had not. They have already told us their long-term plan. Buying 2nd tier keywords is not as lucrative as 1st tier but hey, it's not a bad risk. It still has some value, even at this point.

•••
I disagree and agree. .CO has an infrastructure that other extensions had not. They have already told us their long-term plan. Buying 2nd tier keywords is not as lucrative as 1st tier but hey, it's not a bad risk. It still has some value, even at this point.

Don't believe any plan but rather think real world. Mtld (mobi) talked a big game too and we see how that worked.

I would skip 2nd tier and buy 1 solid top tier name. Your chances of success will be greatly improved and renewal fees, if any, will be reduced. Most 2nd tier buyers purchase lots of names and then are forced to sustain renewals or drop. Either way they lose money.

•••
All this really makes me curious as to how many .co domains were registered in the last week/or total.

Tomorrow the sedo .co auction starts. Hopefully it will go well. Drugstore.co seems to be up for $250,000 which strikes me as highly unrealistic - is that so?

(Since I have two names that are similar to drugstore.co, am even more curious than would otherwise be) =)

I feel that many of the .CO domains in the sedo auction have unrealistic reserve prices

•••
Don't believe any plan but rather think real world. Mtld (mobi) talked a big game too and we see how that worked.

I would skip 2nd tier and buy 1 solid top tier name. Your chances of success will be greatly improved and renewal fees, if any, will be reduced. Most 2nd tier buyers purchase lots of names and then are forced to sustain renewals or drop. Either way they lose money.

I agree with you. If you have the money, buy the 1st tier, no argument, all the way. If you have $8, buy the solid second tier and don't look back.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

I feel that many of the .CO domains in the sedo auction have unrealistic reserve prices

That depends on who you are talking to. If one is a multi-million-billion-aire, then no, the reserves are fine. If you are scraping to find $250000, than yes, the reserves are high. It's a matter of perspective. Of course if you have only $50000 to spend, all will seem very high. If you have 50 Gs to spend, better to look at the other ones, not the best of the best.

•••
Just registered one more - barrios.co

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back