Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
:lol: TRUE...at least .CO should be as good as .US, though! ;)

If it's even half as good, your onto a winner. ;)

•••
Last edited:
•••
I have my JEANS.CO waiting.

•••
some of the .CO generics will make low x,xxx per year, so it seems a good investment if you can get them for 1-2 years revenue in the landrush auction.

•••
@snicksnack: $x,xxx ? I don't really think so. At all.

•••
some of the .CO generics will make low x,xxx per year, so it seems a good investment if you can get them for 1-2 years revenue in the landrush auction.

On what do you base this assumption?

Anyone paying $x,xxx for a .co better be able to risk the fact that it might become $0, just like it happened with .mobi

Only saving grace is that there seems to be a fairly large local populace, how this converts to online traffic, revenue and sales are important to define value.

•••
I have a few keywords on preorder but it's certain they will be subject to auctions. So my total allocated budget might actually amount to $0.
I don't want to waste money in bidding wars (especially bidding against people who have no clue). (*)

Now it's possible that in the aftermath the auctions we will see some quick flip sales here and there. Good deals could still take place after the dust has settled.

I want to stress that I will go after Spanish generic keywords, or keywords that are otherwise fit for the local market. .co will be valid in Columbia no matter what.
Trying to market .co as an alt extension to the rest of the world is quite another matter (hint: many domainers will be disappointed).
I don't even think that .co will perform as well as .me/.tv. Because the proximity with .com will be a source of confusion for non-savvy Internet users.

That's what people need to understand, for a TLD to thrive, a certain amount of critical mass must be attained. The critical mass will be there in Columbia because, like other countries, they will embrace their extension. They already have, with .com.co.
For the rest of the world, it's yet another vanity extension.

(*) It is quite funny that newbies are so desperate, they are looking for the second coming of .com in every new TLD launch, and they are blind to the bargains that are available to them every day. There are here, right in front of you.

IMO, this is the *only* way to play this extension; as a ccTLD, nothing more. Buy keywords relevant to that country, in their language (there's obviously also typo value here, but I don't play that game)

I prefer to limit my ccTLD exposure to my own country, and a couple others- I have enough risk owning Indian names.

•••
So, you DON'T want "GIBO.CO"? ;)

GIBO aint no company, just a project started by my company :P so www,GIBO,project maybe!! :lol:

---------- Post added at 05:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 AM ----------

Iand a couple others- I have enough risk owning Indian names.

:lol: so you admit to the risk owning/investing .in for now?

•••

Last edited:
•••
e.co = WINNING BID: $81,000

Congratulations to B52 Media!

B52 Media paid $81k to get in the news.. lol

•••
I personally would prefer a LL.COM in this price range, but I DO see potential for e.CO :)

•••
•••
May be his net cost is less than $81000 after income tax deduction.

:lol: who will be paying income tax? them guys only!!

•••
I have a few keywords on preorder but it's certain they will be subject to auctions. So my total allocated budget might actually amount to $0.
I don't want to waste money in bidding wars (especially bidding against people who have no clue). (*)

Now it's possible that in the aftermath the auctions we will see some quick flip sales here and there. Good deals could still take place after the dust has settled.

I want to stress that I will go after Spanish generic keywords, or keywords that are otherwise fit for the local market. .co will be valid in Columbia no matter what.
Trying to market .co as an alt extension to the rest of the world is quite another matter (hint: many domainers will be disappointed).
I don't even think that .co will perform as well as .me/.tv. Because the proximity with .com will be a source of confusion for non-savvy Internet users.

That's what people need to understand, for a TLD to thrive, a certain amount of critical mass must be attained. The critical mass will be there in Columbia because, like other countries, they will embrace their extension. They already have, with .com.co.
For the rest of the world, it's yet another vanity extension.

(*) It is quite funny that newbies are so desperate, they are looking for the second coming of .com in every new TLD launch, and they are blind to the bargains that are available to them every day. There are here, right in front of you.

This is possibly one of the most sensible posts I've seen around here. Also agree with a lot of what Brad has posted.

The last part of what SDSINC is saying is soo true! People are too busy looking for the next .com and wasting so much money on speculating on new tlds that they don't see the great deals they could've had with the same amount of money on whats already established.

Its true, "no risk no reward" - but theres also a need to be sensible somewhere in between. The past doesn't always tell you future trends, but it should act as a caution in this case.

My .co budget is also $0 - right now. I know most of the names I'd want will be going through auction and as SDS said above, getting into bidding wars with people who have no idea is not going to benefit anyone other than the registrars.

%%-

•••
A friend's small company is taking a shot at getting their 3-letter company name acronym in .CO; it is unavailable in every other relevant TLD, and would be prohibitively expensive in .COM even if it could be pried out of the current holder's hands. Even the .US was too much.

Although not a word its definitely a premium due to the vast number of definitions the acronym can cover in numerous industries.

The one advantage is they have held a U.S. trademark on the acronym for over 30 years so they ordered during the global sunrise period. Assuming nobody else bothered, they'll get it. If it comes to an auction, though, probably not (it's a _small_ business).

They don't rely on type-in traffic at all; everything is links and email via address book entries, and their current domain would be set to forward all needed traffic. I can foresee a problem with hand-typed email addresses where the users autotype .COM but only till the correct one is in their address books.

So... a valid reason to spend a few bucks on a .CO, at least for this one company.

For myself, no thanks. I may do some browsing once open availability hits, but I don't expect to buy anything.

•••
"I can foresee a problem with hand-typed email addresses where the users autotype .COM but only till the correct one is in their address books."
======================================================

You are right ; it is a serious remark from you.
If I have already regged my family name, myfamilyname.com, I will regg right now the myfamilyname.co just to protect my recveiving emails.

•••
Are you people saying that visitors would rather visit SITE.COM instead of SITE.CO ?

•••

Absolutely, 100%. If someone gave me a choice between .com and .co, I would choose .com every single time.

.co is a ccTLD and will always be ranked as such.

Are you people saying that visitors would rather visit SITE.COM instead of SITE.CO ?

•••

Absolutely, 100%. If someone gave me a choice between .com and .co, I would choose .com every single time.

.co is a ccTLD and will always be ranked as such.

Unless it replaces .COM! ;)

...which will probably never happen :P

•••
Unless it replaces .COM! ;)

...which will probably never happen :P

Never happen.

#1, #2 and #3: .co is Colombian, and .com has much more protection in US courts. A Colombian parliament decision and your name is kaput.

•••
Of course.

What do you think is going to happen - major companies are going to rebrand to .CO instead?

Brad

•••
Given a choice my friend would absolutely rather have the .COM, but that isn't going to happen. But the three letter .CO is more appealing to him than some bastardized or extended .COM.

The email concern for him is not people sending mail to .CO, its that for folks being told the email addresses 'user@xxx dot co' will just automatically assume the dot com instead (until they get the right address stored in their address books) so mail gets sent to that other domain, the one he can't get. He's not concerned that folks will accidentally send mail intended for the .COM to the .CO. If that happens it will be down the road if and only if .CO takes off as a .COM competitor, which neither of us really expects.

If he had the .COM then the .CO sales wouldn't be of any interest whatsoever.

•••
How can some of you guys really believe people are going to prefer .co rather than .com? :-/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back