NameSilo

Cloudflare Domain Registry NOW OPEN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Picture0001.png

Got my notification that I am eligible to start transferring domains to cloudflare.

Will start with a few to see how well it works but you can't do better than cost so I think it will be tough for any other registrar to compete. Especially since I'm paying quite a bit for the godaddy discount club.

So I will test on my new domains and if it works out I will transfer my domains as they expire or when my discount club ends.

I think this is an EARLY ACCESS preview, I signed up when it was announced so I'm not sure if it's open to everyone yet.

Here is the link:
https://dash.cloudflare.com/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Clever from CloudFlare. Been expecting this .

•••
Anyone experienced their transfer processes yet?
I was planning on checking them out, but decided against it. Not that keen having any of my domains hostage to CloudFlare :xf.wink:

If you like the pricing, Namebright offers the same ($8.03 for .com). Ditto Epik, if you fund your account by bank transfer or BTC. Not to mention transfer promos where transfers are around $6.50 a pop.

Last edited:
•••
So, how is cloudflare going to make money and pay for staffing/programming/customer service?

I can't believe they are doing this out of benevolence.

•••
So, how is cloudflare going to make money and pay for staffing/programming/customer service?

I can't believe they are doing this out of benevolence.

They said the process was all automated and is at no cost to them.
I read that in one of their articles, it went on to say that domain owners should not be marked up just for a computer algorithm.

•••
Very simple: this is a loyalty program aimed at attracting new customers to their core business and making them stay put as long as their domains are registered with CF. Why bother with pennies (annually) on domain registration, when you make $xx or $xxx (monthly!!) on your existing services? :sneaky:

They have the infrastructure and staff already in place. Their only cost is the annual $3,000 ICANN accreditation fee, insignificant when spread over hundreds of thousands of domains (read: potential new customers for their core services).

Last edited:
•••
From Cloudflare....

The marketplace for domain registration has been stagnant and manipulative. Registrars lure customers in with low registration fees and end up charging them extremely high renewal fees. They also trick users into purchasing services they do not need or charge fees for critical services that are otherwise offered for free, like SSL. Cloudflare’s Registrar does away with the misleading pricing model, offering a fairly-priced solution with no markup from wholesale pricing—initially and at every renewal—to all of Cloudflare’s customers.

The full Press Release
https://www.cloudflare.com/press-re...ches-the-first-domain-registrar-you-can-love/

LOL> They are using manipulation by using fear tactics to the unsuspecting. There are registrars out there that are decent without fear tactics or pricing games. Namecheap, NameSilo and Dynadot. All very popular.

Hmmm, very good question

If transfers are free then other Registrars better start crapping themselves now.

For me, control panel means a lot. Not saying CFs CP is bad, I wouldn't know. But I like NameSilo's CP the best and their prices are comparable. 6.99 for new .com and 8.99 for renewal. Although, no SSL. But that doesn't matter much since there no real use I can think of for having SSL on a parked domain that google isn't going to even think of ranking anyway. As the old saying goes, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig lol

I doubt many regs will be worried about CF.

Besides, of you want to put up a one-pager with SSL, Let's Encrypt SSL is free with just about any host nowadays. Buy a cheap hosting account, point your domains to the host's nameservers and and install the SSL. Now you have a domain with free SSL and you can put up a one-pager or a full site, whatever you want.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back