Dynadot

Chris.net is going to fail at NamesCon - ROTD Live Auction

NameSilo
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought Chris.net and RBT.net at a price I was comfortable with. I sold RBT and made back some of my investment and I was going to sit on Chris unless I got my price. Well, long story short I ended up listing it in the Namescon Auction without really completely understanding it.
  • I am freely admitting I didn't understand how it worked
  • Nobody forced me to list the domain. In fact, I felt honored to be in
I was under the impression that it would be a handful of select names and all would be live auctioned. Nope! I am stuck with hundreds of other great names buried in the stack. Only the top names getting live auctioned. I am stuck at $1,655 with 7 days left. I am going to lose my ass on this name and its my own fault.
  • I have tried contacting every Chris known to man through email and twitter
  • I have Facebook advertised
  • I have twitter advertised
I am out of options - I feel like an idiot. What the hell do I do now, I wish I could just pull it out and sit on it like I had planned. Ugh.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have no idea what the official consequences of breaking terms of an agreement with NameCons actually are. Seeing as this auction didn't complete and you pulled it out before the end, I'm not sure if that's still as bad as waiting till the very end and not handing the domain over when you saw the final price. Personally I feel you made a commitment to NameCons to auction your domain and you pulled out. You should honour with your commitment regardless of what the price may be. Anyone getting into any transaction, deal or contract should always do their due diligence beforehand. They are fully responsible for the actions.

Anyone here can say whatever they want about the NameCons rules. Simply put, they advised you of the terms and you accepted. No one here should be commending you or telling you it was right or okay to pull out. It wasn't. It is wrong and your reputation will suffer. However I think you have considered that and you don't care as long as you get your desired price target.
I respect everyone's opinion whether critical of me or agreeing with me.

•••
Since this thread keeps going I would like to point out that I offered to pay commission on a set price that was higher than the current bid. I was willing to pay to get out of the auction, probably more than the sale price would have been.
If the auction would have ended, I would have honored the final price and transferred the domain.

•••
Should have demanded a reserve or not put it up for auction.. Too bad it didnt work out.

•••
I want to see this correspondence from Monte letting you out of the contract or I'm calling bullsh*t. You still have Chris.net for sale and potentially making someone else liable. I highly doubt he let you off scot-free, otherwise, anyone else who had a "misunderstanding" could follow suit. Though, it could be true, as Namescon won't be under the same ownership this time next year. But, this kind of action sets precedence for any other situation where a misunderstanding may occur.

I think producing this would be best for everyone interested in this name at NamePros as it appears you're bound for one year.
3. Non-Circumvention

A. In addition to any other rights ROTD may have, if a Domain is accepted for a ROTD Auction during the Exclusive Sales Period, and for a period of one year following the termination of the Exclusive ROTD Sale Period, Seller shall not, directly or indirectly:

i. Make contact or attempt to make contact, solicit or attempt to solicit, negotiate or attempt to negotiate, enter into or attempt to enter into any agreement, and/or transact or attempt to transact any business with any potential purchaser (or such purchaser's attorneys, agents (other than ROTD), representatives, employees, officers, directors, principals, owners, shareholders, members, managers or any person or entity that is connected, directly or indirectly, with such purchaser) procured by or introduced to Seller by ROTD, except to the extent such contact is through, or with the prior written consent of, ROTD; or

B. In the event that Seller violates the provisions of this Section, ROTD shall be entitled to receive its full fee as if such Domain were sold for the reserve price, or an offer otherwise accepted by the seller (See Addendum 1 Fee Schedule and Policies).
Either way, you've tarnished your name by doing this, with me at least. I could care less about other folks around here. It seems like they're willing to back you up while still tearing someone else down. It makes no sense to me, but, what do I know?

I don't completely understand your anger, how did this affect you? You sure are spending a bunch of time on something that didn't hit you in the wallet. If I did something on this site to offend people I would offer any proof requested. In this case, I don't owe you a damn thing, I have been trying to take the high road but you are acting like a lunatic.
Why is it important to see any communication between Monte and myself? He was pissed, expressed his anger, which I understand, and he moved on. In fact, he didn't even tell me he was pulling it, he just pulled it and never returned another email.
I don't answer to you, you mean nothing to me. You have already established you wont do business with me so get on your scooter take your ball and go home son.

•••
Should have demanded a reserve or not put it up for auction.. Too bad it didnt work out.

He wouldn't let me have a reserve , that was part of the issue. Other really bad names were allowed reserves and I wasn't. My mistake.
I am not trying to smell like a rose here, I was a dick. I should have never listed it and I knew that, this is 100% my fault.

•••
I want to see this correspondence from Monte letting you out of the contract or I'm calling bullsh*t. You still have Chris.net for sale and potentially making someone else liable. I highly doubt he let you off scot-free, otherwise, anyone else who had a "misunderstanding" could follow suit. Though, it could be true, as Namescon won't be under the same ownership this time next year. But, this kind of action sets precedence for any other situation where a misunderstanding may occur.

It's one thing letting the OP know he is in the wrong. It's another to fight him on it. The issue, potentially legal as it may be, is between NamesCon and the OP. We don't have to get involved. If someone wants further information, I suggest they contact NamesCon, but I'm sure NamesCon may have a policy that they do not discuss issues with anyone else but the Seller in question. Just my opinion.

P.S. Your post comes across as slightly more aggressive than it has to be. Aggression in this context will not solve anything. Properly educating all parties and other forum users is the better course of action in my opinion.

Last edited:
•••
•••
After seeing the prices at the auction-especially.net -I'm glad I pulled chris.net. Hopefully.net goes back up on the future

•••
I don't completely understand your anger, how did this affect you?
Since you closed this thread previously, I was unable to address this specific question.

This angers me on two levels:
1) I was a potential bidder for this name. I like .net, and could've gotten it for a steal watching / bidding at ROTD live now; and
2) pulling out of any contractual obligation sets precedence to any investor that this type of action is acceptable under the circumstances that it was a "misunderstanding" or "just a joke, bro" type of thing.

•••
After seeing the prices at the auction-especially.net -I'm glad I pulled chris.net. Hopefully.net goes back up on the future
Yes, you would have been around $5K I think

•••
•••
Yes, you would have been around $5K I think
I think that's overshooting it a bit...

Gory.com (a surname) went for 10k and Marcia.com (less popular first name) for 6.5k.

Looking how generic products .net went, I'm thinking that it'd be in the 2-3k range. But that, we'll never know...

•••
Your right rental.net $4k, farms.net $4K, Interest.net $1,700, Toner.net $1,900, Ree.net $1500

Most likely in the $3.5-4K range.

You don't want to be the travel.agency guy who paid $10K last year, and got $3K minus 25%.

Last edited:
•••
5k for chris.net would not be bad in my opinion.

The domain is a 5 letter .net. Sure, the fact that the five letters make the name chris make it more premium than just random letters, but I'm not so sure it's worth more than that.

The name would be perfect for a person named chris, that wanted to spend over 5 grand for the .net version of the domain. I did identify several potential end user companies by search "chris company" on big g but who's to say they would buy.

I have also looked at other 5 letter names in extensions other than .com and the prices were not good as far as I can see.

Also,
Chris.xyz is available for $1200 premium reg.
Chris.global is available for $2880 premium reg.
Chris.vip is available for $480 premium reg.
and so on.

Uniregistry offers 200 gTLD extensions and a search of chris shows that 127 are taken and 123 are available.

You should probably try to monetize the domain and hold it. As domains go, not sure what price you're looking for other than the 50k price I saw on dynadot, but you probably wouldn't get close to that.

There are threads here on NP where members tried to sell people name domains, and they didn't look like they went well.

Best of luck with it!

•••
FYI: Today's list on namebio reported sales included the sale of Jenn.net for $799.

•••
•••
FYI: Today's list on namebio reported sales included the sale of Jenn.net for $799.
I know- I wanted to buy it for my wife - 3 of us were bidding against each and he lowered the reserve - it would have went over what he got

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back