Dynadot

Chinese Real Estate bubble has popped. Domain bubble popping next?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Premium gTLD

Established Member
Impact
The real Chinese investment money is, or was, in foreign real estate. The sky-high domain valuations based on Chinese investors looking for a place to park some cash followed real estate investing.

If you have an investment model based on purchasing random LLLL.net, LLLLL.com, NNNN.com, NNNNN.com or NNNNNN.com, it might be time to dump as many of those domains as possible right now because it appears the Chinese investment bubble is about to pop.

WSJ - Chinese Pull Back

Chinese Demand for Real Estate Waning

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have been following china for a couple years now and it's quite complex but if you have followed the trends especially the recent tech stock bust and thier housing bubble you'll get a good idea whats going on in the domain world. The tech stock bust shows how easy the public are influenced.

To get a good idea watch this 2015 documentary.

It outlines how China spreads influence via social, industrial or financial means.

I had decent gtlds with 88888, 8888, 888 etc in my cart at one point but didn't pull the trigger because thier governments control scares me. I didn't know the N boom would hit so fast, oops. :)

Watch that doc it's interesting.

•••
•••
I don't watch much of those one-sided documentary and it is the opposite of Chinese propoganda. Ton of doomsayers about china for decades, and China is still going strong. Chinese media mostly pick good stuff to broadcast, and western media pick the horrible stuff to draw the attention.

Different political systems, different cultures, and economic structure, and i don't think anyone is perfect. Like US, it just has more or less problems to deal with than China. Being the second largest economy and most populous country, i don't think anyone else can manage China better than the Chinese, or understand China than the Chinese.

Ghost cities, not just in china, honestly i would rather they have housing crash so i can buy some property there. one thing i am sure is that Chinese don't buy house with a big mortgage, so they don't have large loans unpaid unlike other countries. They don't need to sell because they can't afford the mortgage. For the speculators, yes, they might be hit hard, and it applies everywhere, including domain investing.

Last edited:
•••
Pronounceable LLLLL.com will only be a good investment unless its a good acronym! Most of the Chinese buying spree is purely speculative as in any other biz.
As more and more gTLDs are being introduced, there would be more confusion and chaos in domain market. Ultimately, people would be more content with the dotcom domains. DOTCOM WOULD REMAIN THE KING!
Once the dotcom domains are fully utilized, the focus would definitely shift to other TLDs. IMHO it could take at least a decade or so.
IF YOU HAVE GOOD DOMAIN NAMES, HANG ON TO THEM. RIDE OUT UPS AND DOWNS. RENEWAL FEES ARE ALSO ANOTHER FACTOR THAT SHOULD BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT. DON'T PAY RIDICULOUS RENEWAL FEE...
HAPPY DOMAINING!

•••
The north american real estate bubble is about to burst and with that will be a surge of investment money needing to go somewhere and domains will be one if the niches offshore investors will be gobbling up.

Don't think it's only China that wants these domains either!

Just wait out and hang on to your gems cause IMO this is just the start of the increase in domain values. The trends your friend!

•••
I do not think this going to be a bubble, just join any QQ Chat Group and you will realize that what names are being bought and sold, Western or English speaking people from rest of the world could not even think of it, just go and see what not is being used as domain names as Chinese people. They are not changing the rules, they are changing the game.

•••
They like number and collectables. What you want me to say. ;)

•••
I have been following china for a couple years now and it's quite complex but if you have followed the trends especially the recent tech stock bust and thier housing bubble you'll get a good idea whats going on in the domain world. The tech stock bust shows how easy the public are influenced.

To get a good idea watch this 2015 documentary.

It outlines how China spreads influence via social, industrial or financial means.

I had decent gtlds with 88888, 8888, 888 etc in my cart at one point but didn't pull the trigger because thier governments control scares me. I didn't know the N boom would hit so fast, oops. :)

Watch that doc it's interesting.
Not sure what was there before, but this is what's there now:
Screen shot 2016-01-15 at 8.40.53 PM.png

•••
the chinese are looking for places to put there money and liquid domains are digital assets. i don't see a bubble.i see the chinese building a market for thereselfs don't get me wrong there are things will fall and some things will maintain value the only thing i think that will effect this market is renewals and if there government puts regulations on domains.

•••
Domain investors do not like to hear negative predictions related to domain names.

Real estate investors do not like to hear property prices collapse.

Stock market investors do not like to hear bear market predictions.

Asset classes may vary but investors and their psychology remains same. That's why we see boom and bust cycles whether investors like it or not.

•••
the chinese are looking for places to put there money and liquid domains are digital assets. i don't see a bubble.i see the chinese building a market for thereselfs don't get me wrong there are things will fall and some things will maintain value the only thing i think that will effect this market is renewals and if there government puts regulations on domains.
I like your ideology, it's progressive

•••
•••
I thought that it burst 8 years ago...:xf.smile:
Every industry is a "pump n dump", longevity depends on the amount of people you can get involved, and the amount of exposure you can get .... No real estate bubble per se, it will shift to more investors because of a credit crunch, but there won't be a bubble. Homeostasis will not allow it.

•••
Every industry is a "pump n dump", longevity depends on the amount of people you can get involved, and the amount of exposure you can get .... No real estate bubble per se, it will shift to more investors because of a credit crunch, but there won't be a bubble. Homeostasis will not allow it.

My comment was purely referred to the American house bubble mentioned above. I was wondering if we are about to face the 2nd burst as it crumbled the first time during the GFC.
I was off topic :P:xf.grin:

•••
My comment was purely referred to the American house bubble mentioned above. I was wondering if we are about to face the 2nd burst as it crumbled the first time during the GFC.
I was off topic :P:xf.grin:
You r fine. I hope I didn't offend you. I wasn't arguing I promise, you are correct, I was kind of adding to what you said. But I don't know your angle and should have just kept my $.02 to myself. My bad.

•••
You r fine. I hope I didn't offend you. I wasn't arguing I promise, you are correct, I was kind of adding to what you said. But I don't know your angle and should have just kept my $.02 to myself. My bad.

All good here! No prob at all and not offense taken.

•••
Not sure what was there before, but this is what's there now:
Show attachment 22269

Weird, it was a BBC documentary on China. It was quite interesting, it talked about China's relationship with its neighbors and how it invests in other countries etc.

•••
Rather than discussing this buy some good Chinese domains and make some money ....qq chat...west.cn .4.cn ...all r making some good money for good domains.....i dont hink so there is any bubble burst for now...and Chinese new year is coming up i see rise in feb for sure

•••
if chinese real estate falls, thats good news for domaining as the funds will get moved to move mobile assets like domains which technically will rise with more investments!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back