Domain Empire

域名|Chinese Perspective

NameSilo
Watch
I believe only short and easy-to-remember domain names are sustainable, regardless of where in the world you live and which cultural background you come from.

Now that the Chinese domain market has become a hot topic, I myself want to understand this trend too. Is there any real meaning behind each domain name sold in China? Here, I'd like to share with you what I've found as I read the Chinese news everyday.

GZX.com
GZX can stand for 更自信 (even more self-confident) which can be used in many fields such as education, self-help, and even consumer products to raise your self image.

XLY.com
XLY can stand for 夏令营 (summer camp) or 新领域 (new field) which can be used in recreation and high-tech products.

New: Follow my blog posts on NamePros for updates.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How to create acronym for Chinese characters

Example: 域名 (two Chinese characters)

1. Visit Yabla.
2. Paste Chinese characters (域名) into Search box.
3. Focus on the one with exact match (域名 | yù míng | domain name)
4. Take the first character of each ASCII word (Y, M).
5. Create acronym (YM).

So in this case, the acronym for 域名 is YM. You can see that the number of Chinese characters is equal to the number of letters in the acronym. Also, there is only one acronym possible for the Chinese characters. In other words, it's a one-to-one relationship.

•••
BP can also be fearless correct ?
YES. And few more possible Chinese phrases:

BP:不怕>Not to be afraid
BP:宝牌>Precious brand
BP:不胖>Not fat
BP:百品>Hundred things

•••
Can I expect to sell my 0424.com in the $13K-$15K range, with some patience (maybe in a few months)?
Sorry, I'm not a domain expert and I don't know what the future will be. There seems to be many experts on this forum, so you may want to ask them.

•••
Further to what I reported in a Dec 8 post about 395.com sold for 2.5m RMB in an auction at the 10th Anniversary event, now we know that the domain name was bought back in May this year for 1m+ RMB.

The news gives me the impression that this domain name has soared in price over a very short period. It's an interesting time.

Source: news.ename.cn

•••
Market Watch Transaction Date: 2015.12.15

Numerics
3N1,550,000 (v)58,888 (=)15,888 (^)47,000 (=)
4N151,000 (^)5,388 (v)999 (=)3,888 (^)
5N4,636 (=)216 (^)60 (^)299 (^)
6N109 (^)49 (=)55 (=)130 (=)
[th][td]com[/td][td]net[/td][td]org[/td][td]cc[/td][/th]
Numerics w/o 04
3N3,500,000 (=)148,888 (=)16,999 (v)125,699 (=)
4N368,000 (=)13,999 (=)2,450 (v)14,888 (=)
5N22,999 (v)1,500 (=)255 (v)2,345 (v)
6N1,208 (^)104 (^)58 (=)645 (v)
Initials, Letters, and Characters
3I999,999 (=)27,388 (v)10,888 (=)16,888 (=)
3L420,000 (^)15,988 (=)10,888 (=)3,566 (=)
3C6,666 (v)258 (=)69 (=)199 (=)
4I14,899 (^)2,058 (^)137 (^)968 (^)
4L2,350 (v)98 (^)55 (v)218 (^)
Currency: RMB
Prices: Highest BIN prices of day
Symbols: ^ increase, v decrease, = no change (or no sales?) over previous day
C=L+N. I =Initials
Source: Chaomi.cc

•••
Is it GoDaddy or DogDaddy?

This news is about GoDaddy buying a domain portfolio from Michael Berkens. But, when you read it in Chinese, it's amusing.

The title is: 狗爹卖了60个三声母.com域名 (DogDaddy sold* 60 3L .com)

I don't feel DogDaddy is an elegant translation. It's more like a nickname in Chinese. A dog walking service? A pet shop?

It just shows how difficult it is when you try to invest in names to be used in another culture. A native speaker of that culture is always helpful.

*Typo. Should be 买(bought) not 卖(sold)

•••
The top five new gTLD registrars (with registration numbers)

1. Chengdu West Dimension (1756k)
2. eName (588k)
3. Alpnames (519k)
4. Alibaba Cloud (441k)
5. Internet Domain Name System (361k)

When it comes to new gTLD domain registration in the world, Chengdu is No. 1 with registrations double that of No. 2 Godaddy. It is also No. 1 in the world in terms of .xyz, .top, .win, and .ren registrations

Source: www.chinaz.com

•••
Chinese companies really love numbers.

Among the 11 speakers at the upcoming first Chinese domain festival, three own a company using a number as their business name. Here are the business names and their corresponding domain names.

258集团:285.com
1788.com:1788.com
190数交所:190.com

Let's pause and think about it. These speakers are the smartest guys in the Chinese Internet industry. If 27% of them have no problem using a number as their business name, then what can we tell about the future of number being adopted as business name in China?

Source: www.cnsoftnews.com

•••
ChinaMobi, AO can be used as abbreviation for Aomen (Macau) province? Or MC is the correct form?
I have aokj.top (kj = tech)

Also, HA can be used for Hainan, or only HI is the correct form?
I have hakj.top and halc.top (lc = finance)

Many thanks.

•••
@ChinaMobi Thanks for the daily stats ChinaMobi. I have a ticker on my site and I use your stats. Of course, there is a link to your thread and a "Courtesy of ChinaMobi.
You can see at prycr.com...Thanks again.

•••
ChinaMobi, AO can be used as abbreviation for Aomen (Macau) province? Or MC is the correct form?
I have aokj.top (kj = tech)

Also, HA can be used for Hainan, or only HI is the correct form?
I have hakj.top and halc.top (lc = finance)

Many thanks.
When it comes to abbreviation, Hong Kong and Macau may be different from the rest of China. Because of historical reason (being outside China as colonies), many names in these two places are still pronounced using Cantonese instead of the mainstream Mandarin. So I'm not sure if Aomen can be popular. The traditional abbreviations for Hong Kong and Macau are HK and MO respectively.

For Hainan (海南), see How to create acronym for Chinese characters and get HN as abbreviation.

Hope this helps.

•••
@ChinaMobi Thanks for the daily stats ChinaMobi. I have a ticker on my site and I use your stats. Of course, there is a link to your thread and a "Courtesy of ChinaMobi.
You can see at prycr.com...Thanks again.
That's a very creative way of using the data. I improved on the source data, and you've made it look like part of a stock trading system! Thanks for linking to my thread. I appreciate it. If there's anything I can do to help you make better use of the data, please let me know. BTW, I like WeBuyChips.com. How trendy!

•••
The traditional abbreviations for Hong Kong and Macau are HK and MO respectively.

Hi,

So HKCN.biz would be used as Hong Kong China maybe ?

•••
That's a very creative way of using the data. I improved on the source data, and you've made it look like part of a stock trading system! Thanks for linking to my thread. I appreciate it. If there's anything I can do to help you make better use of the data, please let me know. BTW, I like WeBuyChips.com. How trendy!
Thanks for your hard work sharing the market data and helping us decypher a little Chinese! If there is anything I can do to assist you, please let me know. You're helping all of us so much!

•••
•••
YES. And few more possible Chinese phrases:

BP:不怕>Not to be afraid
BP:宝牌>Precious brand
BP:不胖>Not fat
BP:百品>Hundred things

Yabla only shows bp as meaning British Petroleum or base pair
How do you get these other meaning?

•••
Hi,

So HKCN.biz would be used as Hong Kong China maybe ?
Not sure if HK and CN can form a meaningful name. Many Hongkongese are still learning to become part of China (mindset), even though it's been 18 years since the British government handed HK back to China.

•••
Yabla only shows bp as meaning British Petroleum or base pair
How do you get these other meaning?
One source is reading Baidu news on domain names everyday.

•••
Interesting naming convention

Afanti (阿凡题) develops educational apps for students. The company has just received US$ 60m Series B funding. So, it's a serious startup.

What do you think is the domain name they use? Afanti100.com

The Pinyin part is the name of the company, and 100 implies 100% score. Well, it does make sense for an educational app developer. Agree?

The company also owns afanti100.cn and aft100.cn. Unfortunately, Afanti in .com, .cn, and .com.cn extensions all belong to somebody else.

•••
A domain investor Ai Mi Yi Jiu(nickname?) just bought 77777.com for 7 figures RMB from an overseas seller.

This domain name is easy to remember and has a wide range of applications: gaming, lottery, etc.

•••
Thanks for your answer, ChinaMobi.

You said that the abbreviation for Macau is MO and for Hainan is HN.

In Wikipedia says that for Macau is MC and for Hainan is HI.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_China

Is Wikipedia correct also?

•••
Thanks for your answer, ChinaMobi.

You said that the abbreviation for Macau is MO and for Hainan is HN.

In Wikipedia says that for Macau is MC and for Hainan is HI.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_China

Is Wikipedia correct also?

Macau(澳門)
The name Macau was probably given by the Portuguese in the 16th century when they occupied it. So, the Pinyin system does not work here. Judging from the name, I think you are right. MC is the natural choice. I got MO from country code lists such as http://sustainablesources.com/resources/country-abbreviations/.

Hainan(海南)
Using Pinyin, I get HN as the abbreviation. In your explanation, I think HI was decided for administrative reason. Since HN's already taken by Hunan (also as HN based on Pinyin), I guess the government decided to give HI to Hainan.

I must apologize that I'm not versed in these two cases. Maybe a good solution is to consult someone from Macau and Hainan.

Sorry, not much help.

•••
@ChinaMobi
You have been of great help here.
Please let us know, can all ccTLDs and gTLDs can operate in China freely?
The internet sensorship is restricted to second level domains or even top level names also require permission. For ex. I have some good names in rare ccTLDs like .hn .gy etc. Are they accessible in China?
Thanks.

•••
How to create acronym for Chinese characters

Example: 域名 (two Chinese characters)

1. Visit Yabla.
2. Paste Chinese characters (域名) into Search box.
3. Focus on the one with exact match (域名 | yù míng | domain name)
4. Take the first character of each ASCII word (Y, M).
5. Create acronym (YM).

So in this case, the acronym for 域名 is YM. You can see that the number of Chinese characters is equal to the number of letters in the acronym. Also, there is only one acronym possible for the Chinese characters. In other words, it's a one-to-one relationship.

Can you tell me please if "ncij" means something in chinese , it is an acronym ?

Thanks.

•••
Receive numerous offers from Chinese buyers for AOMK.COM
The domain is not Chinese premium. Why so much interest?
Thank you in advance

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back