Dynadot

域名|Chinese Perspective

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I believe only short and easy-to-remember domain names are sustainable, regardless of where in the world you live and which cultural background you come from.

Now that the Chinese domain market has become a hot topic, I myself want to understand this trend too. Is there any real meaning behind each domain name sold in China? Here, I'd like to share with you what I've found as I read the Chinese news everyday.

GZX.com
GZX can stand for 更自信 (even more self-confident) which can be used in many fields such as education, self-help, and even consumer products to raise your self image.

XLY.com
XLY can stand for 夏令营 (summer camp) or 新领域 (new field) which can be used in recreation and high-tech products.

New: Follow my blog posts on NamePros for updates.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Yes you are right. It doesn't represent the pinyin configuration of GuangZhou. I was looking at if you take away the vowels in a word and leave only the premium letters, will it still be seen as an acronym for that word?

For example, if you search GNGZH in Google, you will see GuangZhou as the result
Kachi, I can see your logic in removing the vowels to (hopefully) arrive at a useful 5L character string that may have some pinyin relevance.

In fact, you have increased your chances of landing a good combo that may be a relevant to the Chinese market - but its only a marginal improvement.

Google tries to be as helpful as it can - the fact that it returned a somewhat plausible result for GNGZH is a function of the strength of its algorithms, not the strength of 'GNGZH' as a useful term.

Last edited:
•••
Don't sweat the small stuff though.
Take a bit longer to absorb what Andy has indicated BJFDC and FCZJ could be used for.
They are AAA terms!

•••
Kachi, I can see your logic in removing the vowels to (hopefully) arrive at a useful 5L character string that may have some pinyin relevance.

In fact, you have increased your chances of landing a good combo that may be a relevant to the Chinese market - but its only a marginal improvement.

Google tries to be as helpful as it can - the fact that it returned a possible result for GNGZH is a function of the strength of its algorithms, not the strength of 'GNGZH' as a useful term.

The curious thing is that all the cities have been taken by the Chinese with this same logic :)

So I wonder, if this type of configuration makes no sense at the pinyin level, why are they all registered, some many years ago, and some expiring in 5 years time?

•••
Don't sweat the small stuff though.
Take a bit longer to absorb what Andy has indicated BJFDC and FCZJ could be used for.
They are AAA terms!

Right bro! So what's your opinion on 5L with or without the name of a city?

•••
The curious thing is that all the cities have been taken by the Chinese with this same logic :)

So I wonder, if this type of configuration makes no sense at the pinyin level, why are they all registered, some many years ago, and some expiring in 5 years time?

I have no idea Kachi. I do know that the best abbreviation for Beijing is not BJNG however. And that BJNG is a great pinyin acronym anyway.

•••
My recent purchase of xxxzxxx has "true smile" in the middle of it then.

Whaddyaknow.

•••
Hi guys,

I know this has already been discussed. For those who were not aware. You can check the meanings of your short domains here -

https://translate.google.com/#zh-CN/en/

Google to the rescue !

- V

•••
Great information. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

•••
•••
.club auction started on Oct 29 and here are some interesting names with their promoted Chinese meanings.

C 车(car), 吃(eat), or 财(fortune)
HJ 红酒 (red wine)
YM 域名 (domain name)
JD 酒店(hotel)
PJ 啤酒(bear), 配件(parts), or 评价(evaluation)

The auction is scheduled to end Nov 5.

•••
Do Chinese investors like geo combinations, like we do in the West? For instance - ChicagoPlumber.com - where the Chinese combination would be something like Bei Jing plumber (Google Translate tells me Plumber == ShuǐGuǎn).

So, of possible combinations, which would be better to a Chinese:
BJSG.com
SGBJ.com
BJShuiGuan.com
ShuiGuanBJ.com
BeiJingShuiGuan.com
ShuiGuanBeiJing.com

thanks - just curious :D

•••
Thanks for the help guys, useful thread.

Seen some sales of terms like 'msc' or 'xpj' , 'mgm' ,'tyc' etc followed by numbers(up to 4) so for ex msc1234()com, what are your views on these?

•••
Some of the .club being auctioned in China now are:

GW.CLUB,standing for
购物 (shopping)
顾问 (consultant)
国外 (overseas)

LY.CLUB
旅游 (tour)
露营 (camping)

•••
•••
Here are some possible combinations off the top of my head.

BWZ
不外走 (don't go outside)
不武争 (don't resolve conflict with force)
步稳重(walk steadily)
不微赚 (make no small profit)

There may be many more possibilities. Branding with letters or numbers is an art which requires a lot of thinking.

Certainly, It's not the best explanation in Chinese.

BWZ:
Explain as a whole phrase
保卫战 (the war fights for the protecting of our home/family)
八王子(the eighth king's son. it's could be a brand name)

As Abbreviate of a phrase:
宝物站
百味站
百威站
Z is the first letter in PINYIN of 站(single word to express WEBSITE):)

To be honest, it's may NOT as valued as other LLL for example ZXD. Just because ZXD means an industry. And it's super hot at the moment:)

•••
Do Chinese investors like geo combinations, like we do in the West? For instance - ChicagoPlumber.com - where the Chinese combination would be something like Bei Jing plumber (Google Translate tells me Plumber == ShuǐGuǎn).

BJSG.com
SGBJ.com
BJShuiGuan.com
ShuiGuanBJ.com
BeiJingShuiGuan.com
ShuiGuanBeiJing.com

1: BJSG.com > SGBJ.com
2: BJShuiGuan.com > ShuiGuanBJ.com
3: BeiJingShuiGuan.com > ShuiGuanBeiJing.com

I cant compared them all at the same time. Because they are different types of the domain, even in Chinese marketing.

Just because it's a phrase included for words(BEI JING SHUI GUAN), the values of LLLL is the best.

However, we can't guess END USERS' thoughts. WHO KNOWS!

In Chinese domain marketing, many of investors just think about other investors who may pay more money to buy their domains. Because the prices raises up, just like the stock. They never consider the END USERS. WHO CARE!!

If any buddy here is using wechat, pls feel free to add me. My ID is binglancd

•••
>八王子(the eighth king's son. it's could be a brand name)
Excellent! I like it too as a brand. Thanks for helping.

•••

BJSG.com
SGBJ.com
BJShuiGuan.com
ShuiGuanBJ.com
BeiJingShuiGuan.com
ShuiGuanBeiJing.com

IMO,BJSG and SGBJ are the best. Both of them have more meaning, so different endusers can take them as their website. For example, BJSG is the abbreviation of BeiJingShuiGuo, it means Beijing fruit.
And BJSG(BeiJingSuGuo) ,SuGuo is a famous supermarket.
BJSG(BeijingShouGang) means Beijing ShouGang group, ShouGang group is a large state-owned iron and steel enterprises.
BJSG(BaoJieSheGong) means cleaner and so on.

•••
IMO,BJSG and SGBJ are the best. Both of them have more meaning, so different endusers can take them as their website. For example, BJSG is the abbreviation of BeiJingShuiGuo, it means Beijing fruit.
And BJSG(BeiJingSuGuo) ,SuGuo is a famous supermarket.
BJSG(BeijingShouGang) means Beijing ShouGang group, ShouGang group is a large state-owned iron and steel enterprises.
BJSG(BaoJieSheGong) means cleaner and so on.

You are right, but I dont think we should be analyzing 4L. They are all gone.

Anyone who wants to get in should rather focus on 5L. They are going faaaaaaast!

•••
I like short 3 character combos since all other shorter coms, etc are regged.

For example:

Bj0.xyz

:xf.grin:

•••
So I guess zx =online then?

Does it have any other meaning?

I
What about xy,zx,zy qx?

Do these have any meaning?

Do the Chinese use letters and numbers combined much?

If you can list a few other examples like these 2 letter acronymns and add translations that would be awesome!

:xf.smile:
xy can stand for credit or cigarette, and zy can stand for specialty:xf.grin:

•••
Recently the following domain name was sold.

QFW.CN
抢房网 (website for grabbing houses)
去访问 (to go and interview)

The domain name was sold for more than 100k RMB.

•••
Could you comment on the Chinese view of hyphens? My interest is in L-L-L.com, there are also L--L, LL-L, L-LL and various mixes with numbers. I have seen many Chinese buyers in L-L-L.com over the years, but the bulk investors have not arrived.

•••
Thanks for this informational thread.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back