Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
-found a great available dot com
-checked the value on govalue,
-checked on estibot

after 2 hours domain are taken by someone through Sav com

who have had the same experience?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
SAV is Sport Activity Vehicle, according to BMW, who did not like the word Utility associated with their vehicles )

In domain industry, it is a weird registrar, that has not decided whether it is a registrar or a domain investor working with $280/domain model (while claiming that those names are listed by someone else, of course, under privacy), whether it wants the business of domain investors via cheap .com offers or wants to destroy their business model by $280/name listings.
so u can't edit $ 280 price? 🤔

•••
In domain industry, it is a weird registrar, that has not decided whether it is a registrar or a domain investor working with $280/domain model (while claiming that those names are listed by someone else, of course, under privacy), whether it wants the business of domain investors via cheap .com offers or wants to destroy their business model by $280/name listings.

Do you know what happens with their expired domains stream? I think most of us don't have domains with them for longer than a year so it's hard to tell.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're warehousing. They are domainers after all.

•••
Not sure what kind of domainer he is, but I suspect strong affiliation, possibly stakes in SAV, because that is the only way $280 would make sense at such a scale (drive traffic to another product).

There is a model to this, but it's rather tough to nail. Market price sales (under $500). Advantage is better cashflow when in early phase. But there are many disadvantages, and you need a lot of supply.

Edit: I've seen one domainer here that uses it (can't remember who). He priced everything at either $199 or $299 at most.

Last edited:
•••
Edit: I've seen one domainer here that uses it (can't remember who). He priced everything at either $199 or $299 at most.
interesting why not $99 or $125? is $199 a min bin?

BTW @twiki do u have a twitter taccount?

Last edited:
•••

BTW @twiki do u have a twitter taccount?

Hehe, I'm the odd kind without a twitter and not even a linkedin account. Had some but unused so they are long closed now.

Edit: that was just his pricing scheme.

Last edited:
•••
so u can't edit $ 280 price? 🤔

That is not the point. They claim it is some mystical investor that registers the names and posts them on SAV at $280 even before anyone else new them. He does it perhaps in tens of thousands of names. That is ridiculous because no one else does it/done it on any other platform. The phenomena appeared with SAV, I found out about SAV because of this and everytime I check for names, I come across this. And, of course, the privacy at this scale also shows who might be responsible for the fire that causes the smoke.

•••
Do you know what happens with their expired domains stream? I think most of us don't have domains with them for longer than a year so it's hard to tell.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're warehousing. They are domainers after all.

Not sure. They are new. Probably not a big stream for them, as most names are probably theirs and some are new, I am not sure even if they had a year anniversary since they started acquired a registrar and rebranded. I just believe all domain investors should stay away from them. We need to know each registrars policies in regards to competing with their customers transparently. Even GD has to formally create some firewalls with its NameFind arm and doesn't engage in buying retail either directly or via NF.

I'd move all my names away the next day GD decides to hand regs and dump them into the market at $280.

•••
There is a model to this, but it's rather tough to nail. Market price sales (under $500). Advantage is better cashflow when in early phase. But there are many disadvantages, and you need a lot of supply.

Yeah, no one can be doing what SAV is doing without being a registrar. a) that domain investor probably is buying cheap at $1 netsol or $3.99 elsewhere and at $299 his sell through might be 3%+ so the math still might work, but that is different model and class of names and different scale registering each name with a coupon b) many don't know this, but registrars get special deals from Verisign, so SAVs cost base might be lower in average, then they use the $280 model and even at a loss they'd still win because of the traffic.

I say we all stay away from them and let them be the registrar for their own names. The more names they can show, the more generous the kickbacks and the more they can compete with the clients further.

•••
I guess it depends on how completely sure you feel, but in general I think pausing to think through a hand reg and at least do the obvious things of checking related terms in company names on OpenCorporates, the TM situation, past sales, other TLDs reg especially those in use, and some measure of search results and search volume makes sense.

Yes, more than once, a name I was almost sure I wanted was then gone. Is it possible someone somewhere harvested my search? Possibly, but I prefer the simpler explanation that with hundreds of thousands scouring domain names, someone else independently was looking for it too. Occasionally, especially in TLDs outside the legacy big 3, the registrar availability will be wrong is another explanation.

Sure, natural to feel regret, but I think it is best to simply move on to the huge pool of other possible names, and not dwell on the one that got away.

Best wishes to the OP in future catches, and thanks to the many who expressed multiple worthwhile viewpoints in the thread. I will still personally research and sleep on possible acquisitions to reduce buyer's remorse, but totally respect that many feel differently.

Bob

Last edited:
•••

Innovative. If there’s any success to be had with the aforementioned business & pricing models, someone will implement it.

Maybe $19 .XYZ or .TOP premiums marketplace to follow?

•••

Innovative. If there’s any success to be had with the aforementioned business & pricing models, someone will implement it.

It's a risky model in my opinion. The margin is too small there, you need a lot of supply. Renewal cost will be high as price per domain sold is not that great. It's probably worth for someone doing a lot of hand regging. Again I see it as risky, and you leave the big money on the table.

•••
It's a risky model in my opinion. The margin is too small there, you need a lot of supply. Renewal cost will be high as price per domain sold is not that great. It's probably worth for someone doing a lot of hand regging. Again I see it as risky, and you leave the big money on the table.
Yes, I agree with you. There’s not enough time to manage such volume of names with such low margins for profit.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back