information Changes coming to GoDaddy Auctions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact

GoDaddy published a post about upcoming changes to GoDaddy auctions. As we look to the future of GoDaddy Auctions, we’re looking closely at how GoDaddy can best support domain name sellers. In order to better serve sellers, we’ll be focusing our resources on Afternic for selling domain names. Meanwhile, GoDaddy Auctions will focus its attention […]

GoDaddy auctions is for buying, Afternic for selling. No more 7 day public auctions

Continue Reading

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am trying to digest this. It's a long post but correct me if I am wrong.

1) Basically there wont be a 7 day auctions anymore. Auctions are only for expiring names.
2) No one used Counter Offer anyway on GD Auctions.
3) If you already do BIN, you are not affected.

Wait but I like auctions to clear my names sometimes though. Why did they take this away.

Is Sedo any good?

•••
Oh my! I just tried Sedo and it cost $59 to start an auction?? That's not going to fly.

•••
I think they are killing the domain flipping business, there is NO other alternatives at all.

•••
7 days auctions have been the best place for me to sell my high traffic and backlink domains. Sad to see it go, and it's even sadder that there's no alternative with similar auction structure and popularity.

•••
This change might make DaaZ more popular?

•••
I actually get sales from this part. Part of my routine of listing domains is to put them for Offer/Counteroffer at GoDaddy.

It says:

"Member to Member Buy it Now and Offer/Counter Offer listings will remain live and available until May 13th, 2024. We recommend moving your domain listings to Afternic before then."

I guess that's not available now?

Only thing I'm using Afternic for right now are adding domains with Buy Now prices to get in the Fast Transfer network.
Hi @JB Lions
We're happy to clarify this for you.

Up until May 13th, you'll be able to continue using GoDaddy Auctions to manage Buy it Now and Offer/Counteroffer listings. After that, active Member to Member listings will be removed from GoDaddy Auctions.

If you haven't explored Afternic much, we recommend using the 4 weeks until May 13th to get familiar with the platform. Afternic.com has a lot of information about seller services and features while Afternic's blog is a useful destination for the latest news and feature updates.

If you have any questions about the retirement of Member to Member listings from GoDaddy Auctions, our blog post covers a lot of ground, and the Auctions support team is ready to help you via [email protected].

•••
This change might make DaaZ more popular?

Wishful thinking. I tried an auction there a few days ago, they've got a long way to go. Specifically with ownership verification, and verifying bidder funds. As a dan.com alternative, their auctionBot escrow works well for domainer to domainer sales.

This + NameLiquidate demise = a void in customer to customer auction options

the Auctions support team is ready to help you via [email protected].

Frustrated Beavis And Butthead GIF by Stotes

Last edited:
•••
I am trying to digest this. It's a long post but correct me if I am wrong.

1) Basically there wont be a 7 day auctions anymore. Auctions are only for expiring names.
2) No one used Counter Offer anyway on GD Auctions.
3) If you already do BIN, you are not affected.

Wait but I like auctions to clear my names sometimes though. Why did they take this away.

Is Sedo any good?
Hi @NameMaxi.com
Thanks for your feedback. You're correct. In order to better serve sellers, Afternic will be the way to list domains for sale (Buy it Now and Offer/Counteroffer), and we'll be retiring 7 day public auctions.

Going forward, GoDaddy Auctions is focusing further on expired domain name auctions, and Afternic focuses on the sell-side.

For all the information, please take a look at our blog post and FAQs.

•••
Hi @NameMaxi.com
Thanks for your feedback. You're correct. In order to better serve sellers, Afternic will be the way to list domains for sale (Buy it Now and Offer/Counteroffer), and we'll be retiring 7 day public auctions.

Going forward, GoDaddy Auctions is focusing further on expired domain name auctions, and Afternic focuses on the sell-side.

If you retire the 7 day public auctions on Godaddy, why don't you open the new 7 day auctions on Afternic, with that alternative, people who do domain flipping can still make the business going.

•••

Any chance of Afternic filling the nameliquidate void by:

(a) Be it GoDaddy giving domain owners a portion of expired auction profits

(b) Be it Afternic offering dutch auctions for members to auction off their domains to other members?

•••
I think GoDaddy making a loss of every domainer as well as themselves also.

•••
Wishful thinking. I tried an auction there a few days ago, they've got a long way to go. Specifically with ownership verification, and verifying bidder funds. As a dan.com alternative, their auctionBot escrow works well for domainer to domainer sales.

This + NameLiquidate demise = a void in customer to customer auction options

They are receptive to feedback, though. On the other hand, they seem to be in sort of a chicken-and-egg situation:

We are here to listen to your feedback and improve DaaZ, thats exactly what we are doing for the last 5 years. Kindly note, we are working for last 7 years on this project. Its the time for community to recognise and support the efforts. if the domain sellers support us in closing more transactions , it motivate us to bring bigger investments to develop this platform better serve the needs of domain name sellers and buyers.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/da...-official-thread.1217160/page-11#post-9129771

Last edited:
•••
Some changes are making sense, MOST changes are NOT
If you want your company making more profit, then you should EXPAND your market - NOT limit them.
The idea is WRONG. People know Godaddy more than Afternic - Why do you shift gear to Afternic and cut the auction option?
Always ask your wife before making any decision.

Last edited:
•••
My takeaway was we will control what happens on GoDaddy auctions, the focus being expired auctions. They don't want sellers also selling stuff on there. GoDaddy auctions is for buying, Afternic is for selling. So they are trying to streamline each site so that it has a stated purpose.
This about sums up the situation.

Well Played Sir

•••
•••
The reason for closing members 7 days auctions may be an attempt to redirect the buyers and their money to sole owned expired auctions.
It is an attempt to increase their profit by removing such sellers from the market. (100% profit is better then 15% or 25% commissions)

•••
look at briht side..we are all richer 5usd by end of each year bahahah

•••
If you haven't explored Afternic much, we recommend using the 4 weeks until May 13th to get familiar with the platform.
Ya @JB Lions maybe your not familiar with afternic 😂

Sorry to see this feature being removed

Last edited:
•••
The reason for closing members 7 days auctions may be an attempt to redirect the buyers and their money to sole owned expired auctions.
It is an attempt to increase their profit by removing such sellers from the market. (100% profit is better then 15% or 25% commissions)
My thoughts exactly - they are increasing profits not decreasing them

•••
Hi @NameMaxi.com

what happens to listings distributing by dan.com which u recently implemented..... do the ones with bin price go to gd auctions... like now.... do they keep showing as bin with make offer?

•••
yeah, for me 100% of my business is now destroyed because of that.

what's the loss they will get if they keep it? I can't understand this Godaddy thing
I agree, I'm in the same boat with you guys! This really is a big negative hit with very short notice!

•••
This is an absolute terrible business practice, giving only 15-30 day notice like this! Most domainers and businesses can't pivot that quickly, especially with selling domain names (for those who relied on the 7 day auction). I also think they planned for it for over a year but intentionally gave short notice, due to greed. I noticed they have been taking out small features over time, but didn't think they would close it totally.

I think someone in the office who doesn't sell domain names thought, hey we'll make more profit without member to member auctions. I don't think they realize that having more members/domainers participate in the auction helps a lot. So the end result is that they will actually lose revenue and profit, but not realize why and blame it on something else. We all know they will still make a lot of money in all other areas, but they don't have to screw members to do it.

Now because of how they rolled this out I'll no longer buy anything from GoDaddy and move my existing portfolio elsewhere.

•••
This is an absolute terrible business practice, giving only 15-30 day notice like this! Most domainers and businesses can't pivot that quickly, especially with selling domain names (for those who relied on the 7 day auction). I also think they planned for it for over a year but intentionally gave short notice, due to greed. I noticed they have been taking out small features over time, but didn't think they would close it totally.

I think someone in the office who doesn't sell domain names thought, hey we'll make more profit without member to member auctions. I don't think they realize that having more members/domainers participate in the auction helps a lot. So the end result is that they will actually lose revenue and profit, but not realize why and blame it on something else. We all know they will still make a lot of money in all other areas, but they don't have to screw members to do it.

Now because of how they rolled this out I'll no longer buy anything from GoDaddy and move my existing portfolio elsewhere.
Totally agreed with you.

at least if they want to move the BIN/Make offer listings to Afternic, they shouldn't remove the 7 days auctions on their platform, or at least, they can move it to Afternic instead.

That's sad actually, now all of my business will get shutdown in the couple days because of that, as majority of my sales are comes from the 7 days auction.

Even Sedo who run their business for many years now, they still do the 7 days auctions as usual with no problem, also why they notice us just for 30 days. there are people who live and make money that way.

Personally, I cannot believe in this. The guys behind the scenes who works for the company, will surely destroy the company and their revenue by time.

totally sad..

•••
Totally agreed with you.

at least if they want to move the BIN/Make offer listings to Afternic, they shouldn't remove the 7 days auctions on their platform, or at least, they can move it to Afternic instead.

That's sad actually, now all of my business will get shutdown in the couple days because of that, as majority of my sales are comes from the 7 days auction.

Even Sedo who run their business for many years now, they still do the 7 days auctions as usual with no problem, also why they notice us just for 30 days. there are people who live and make money that way.

Personally, I cannot believe in this. The guys behind the scenes who works for the company, will surely destroy the company and their revenue by time.

totally sad..
This is an important lesson. Never rely on one company for your revenue.

•••
This is an important lesson. Never rely on one company for your revenue.
Yeah absolutely,

Any other companies that offer the 7 days listing auction? any options now?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back