Domain Empire

advice Chairman of Crypto coin company reached out to me on a LinkedIn!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Hey guys.

I'm like you guys. We invest. And most of our investments never pan out. Wasted money but every now and then we get lucky as hello right?

So I'm on LinkedIn . Have over 14,500+ connections.

The chairman of a $72 million marketcap company reached out to me to connect.

Innocent enough . I accept pretty much anyone and get like 10-15 connection requests daily. Mostly people trying to sell me a service or product or wanting to promo their stuff.

I charge $100-$250 per blast to share their stuff.

So backstory I registered a "chain" domain in King.

Didn't mind it. Though it was a bad reg really.
Like what would it be for?

Can't really say the name now because I think this whale is gonna make an offer.

I find out this whale is the chairman of a company with the exact match name for my domain except his is in .io.

Wooooooooooooooow!

I connected now and just checked now.

It's got over $50 million market cap but under $100 million. Price of coin is in pennies though.

They registered the .net and .org.

Oh and someone reached out to me via my whois email asking for price for the coin.

I said make an offer. Did not think anything of it.

Why the hell did I not bother checking the name of my domain on Google like I did just now?

Seems as though this coin just opened up shop recently.

So yea those are the specifics as much as I can say right now.

So......what do you think guys? How much should I price this damn thing? Lol

I was gonna say $1 mill and call it a day? Or no?

Don't want to blow the deal being greedy.

He'll probably offer me coins. Should I accept?

If you want to know the name of the domain pm me.

Nice way to wake up in the morning right?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My suggestion: Be prepared to say no if the offer is bad. Execs hate to be told no. You can say it politely and say "we're probably not a good fit. But, thanks for your inquiry." Do this over the phone-make the email about setting up a phone call. But, I also agree not to get too greedy. Look for the DomainSherpa with the Uniregistry employee that brokers deals-it was a great primer on how to work a deal. He gets them talking about how they plan on using the name. And for God sakes, don't start spending the money in your head or worse, spend prematurely. It will F with your negotiation skills.

will give it a look. Thanks.

•••
Looks like LinkedIn might be paying off for ya then? (y)

•••
Looks like LinkedIn might be paying off for ya then? (y)

yea I guess. had people reach out to me via Linkedin to buy domains already.

•••
so doing some digging. the .org version on my domain has been registered up till 2020? and registered just this year 2017?

odd.......oh wait. that's three years from now! lol

•••
I would be skeptical on how lucrative a want name in a king extension is when they have secured other extensions and don’t actually need your version. You made it sound like they don’t have the com which is where the money should be going. Wonder what the story is with the dot com.

The one thing that might make this name more valuable than it appears is the 2nd non related other company product using the same name that you mentioned. This could be a bargaining tool.

I would be monitoring this name for trademark applications as someone is likely to go for that. When a name is trademarked or in the process you have to negotiate with more care than when deal is struck without one.

•••
I would be skeptical on how lucrative a want name in a king extension is when they have secured other extensions and don’t actually need your version..

what the heck are you talking about?

they have all extensions but the .com ???

its not a minor wish to complete
they need it
as that's the only good one

.com rules
and they know it

and you?
you don't?????

•••
This is all moot without even knowing the domain, especially for a hand reg, we are talking about 5-7 figure quotes.

This is one of those Disney movie threads again, it's just a fairytale.

There are so many domains out there, that have exact match Multi million dollar end users sitting with parked pages, this is yet another, big deal.

I hope you make your grand slam sale, but this is premature hysteria.

Last edited:
•••
Hey guys.
..........So I'm on LinkedIn . Have over 14,500+ connections...........

...........I charge $100-$250 per blast to share their stuff.

........................................."
That's so awesome regarding the name and good for you BUT, I am a bit curious about this thing you got going here.
$100-$250 per blast?
14,500 connections?
I guess the connections comes with time.
Heck, a blast or few a week sounds like a pretty good gig in itself.
How does that work?
Is that like the youtube money I hear about?

Good luck with the name. Lots of great advice here.

•••
don't let your excitement ruin this... keep calm!

•••
It looks like you are onto something @Avtar629!
Looking forward to see how it ends!

Personally, I'd probably choose to close the deal with cash + coins.

•••
Did you make these golden sale?

•••
•••
Follow-up:

It's a Domain Name Wire Podcast with Jeff Gabriel of Unregistry that has some great tips on Domain selling and negotiating. Well worth the listen:
https://domainnamewire.com/2017/02/20/sell-domain-names-dnw-podcast-124/

if Jeff Gabriel at uniregistry knows how to sell domains
why haven't they sold any of my domains in the last year?

- having 46 inquiries within the last 12 month

upload_2017-11-29_13-0-24.png

Last edited:
•••
Frank,

Who knows. Maybe you should post them and tells us what you were asking for them. You might find the answer. I bet most of the inquires are from domainers to figure out how to price their similar names.

I had inquires there and the question from my Uni reps was "what price do you want me to respond with?" It seemed ass-backwards. (Although, I could have chosen BIN, as well.) So, I saved the 15% commission and have been using a Bodis landing page with Inquiry fill in screen. That way I can see the name, email address, their initial offer, if they fill it in and research the inquiry-see if they are an end-user. (None of that transparency when I had my Uni inquiries-leaving me in the dark on inquiries). Experiment.

Last edited:
•••
yea I guess. had people reach out to me via Linkedin to buy domains already.

What's your Linkedin? Let us connect with you!:xf.cool:

•••
Did you make these golden sale?

No not yet. This chairman just said he will keep in touch.

And to be honest he did not ask me yet even about the domain that he obviously wants nor have I pushed it or mentioned it either.

Just chit chat.

Should I push? Like "do you wanna but my domain ?"

Fyi this .com recently had other extensions regged in

.fr
.net.cn
.com.cn
.com.org
.co.kr
.cn
.com.bm
.co

All by another company in China not this chairman who owns the .io

Not .co.uk though. If you want to reg it pm for name.

•••
These are extremely premature rumblings, there isn’t even an offer or inquiry on the domain let alone a deal in sight, but still - who knows, one hopes that he connected with you because of the domain. Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
These are extremely premature rumblings, there isn’t even an offer or inquiry on the domain let alone a deal in sight, but still - who knows, one hopes that he connected with you because of the domain. Good luck.

Thanks. This is correct. I was excited to first
It shows . But now reality sets in and now I am thinking more grounded

Other worry is that this crypto doesn't seem to have much "action".

And went from $249 million market cap after ico then now is down to to $50 million.

It's not even listed in the big exchanges .

Should I assume this chairman is in holding pattern waiting for the marketcap to go up?

What is curious is that China company registering All those extensions for keyword ATMChain. Except .io.

Should I ignore those? Or are they perhaps indicator of something brewing?

•••
Why don't you just message and say that " I noticed that you are associated with XXX cryptocurrency, as it happens, and perhaps this is why you messaged me originally, I own the domain with the same name as your currency [list domain]. " - or something like that, depending on whether you two have specifically discussed his currency yet or not.

This is assuming you two have had some conversations already. If all he did is connect to you, no messages, then modify the above message to refer to "perhaps this is why you connected with me."

I would say just that, or something like that, nothing more. Chinese take suggestion quickly and will know what you are getting at. If he is interested, he will take the conversation further.

Last edited:
•••
Update. Finally couldn't resist. So ask him if he is interested in my domain . You won't believe this crap reply.

"Hello dear I am interested to know about Xxxxxx.com but can’t find anything on the web. Please send me something to read about it. As for xxxxx.io, it is new concept based on blockchain having as blah blah blah. We did our ico last May. And we have xxx token as cyrpto currency already in trading."

Maybe I'm too short tempered but is this guy implying that my domain ain't sh*t because he can't find anything only about it?

And he wants me to provide him "something to read about it?"

Already this guy is rubbing me the wrong way.

And I get the feeling I'm not going to get the big money I was hoping for.

Advice?

It's taking all my strength to stop me from replying with witty comeback.

The nerve of this guy trying to downplay my domain.

Not that it matters but he's Arab and lives in Paris, France.

But his cofounder who registered all the other extensions of my domain is Chinese .

•••
Update. Finally couldn't resist. So ask him if he is interested in my domain . You won't believe this crap reply.

"Hello dear I am interested to know about Xxxxxx.com but can’t find anything on the web. Please send me something to read about it. As for xxxxx.io, it is new concept based on blockchain having as blah blah blah. We did our ico last May. And we have xxx token as cyrpto currency already in trading."

Maybe I'm too short tempered but is this guy implying that my domain ain't sh*t because he can't find anything only about it?

And he wants me to provide him "something to read about it?"

Already this guy is rubbing me the wrong way.

And I get the feeling I'm not going to get the big money I was hoping for.

Advice?

It's taking all my strength to stop me from replying with witty comeback.

The nerve of this guy trying to downplay my domain.

Not that it matters but he's Arab and lives in Paris, France.

But his cofounder who registered all the other extensions of my domain is Chinese .

I recommend contacting the Chinese co-founder.

Secondly, I just sold a exact match .com to a Swiss company using .ch and when I contacted them, they were not interested and said they were happy with their .ch domain but I explained to them the value of the .com and Escrow just verified payment has been received. :xf.grin:

Tell him that .io is shit and his customers will get confused and mistakenly visit the .com. Hope for the best. But remember that most of the times you can't change someone's mind, if they don't realize they need the .com you can't do anything about it.

•••
For some reason I thought that the Chinese co-founder was the one who had contacted you. Anyway, you have nothing to lose you may keep trying, but I don't see this going anywhere, I mean I assume they picked up most of those other extensions for reg fee. Also it's not like they would be stepping up by acquiring your extension, more like a horizontal move.

This is all assuming that I understand what you have, and what they have, you haven't been very clear.

Last edited:
•••
I recommend contacting the Chinese co-founder.

Secondly, I just sold a exact match .com to a Swiss company using .ch and when I contacted them, they were not interested and said they were happy with their .ch domain but I explained to them the value of the .com and Escrow just verified payment has been received. :xf.grin:

Tell him that .io is sh*t and his customers will get confused and mistakenly visit the .com. Hope for the best. But remember that most of the times you can't change someone's mind, if they don't realize they need the .com you can't do anything about it.

What is the value of a .com? Besides the obvious? That it's the king?

I know I tend to get winded. So whatever I reply I want to be short and succinct and to the point.

But it's hard to do.

I was gonna go with they will spend all this money on promoting their Coin and my .com benefits from their ad budget.

•••
For some reason I thought that the Chinese co-founder was the one who had contacted you. Anyway, you have nothing to lose you may keep trying, but I don't see this going anywhere, I mean I assume they picked up most of those other extensions for reg fee. Also it's not like they would be stepping up by acquiring your extension, more like a horizontal move.

This is all assuming that I understand what you have, and what they have, you haven't been very clear.

What was the point in emailing me (assuming it was them who emailed me)? And reaching out to connect with me on LinkedIn . Do these people think they can just get their dream domain whi h is exact match to their .io for a bag of nickels?

Depressing. I guess it's not going to be the awesome Christmas I was hoping for.

:xf.frown::banghead::banghead::xf.laugh:

•••
What is the value of a .com? Besides the obvious? That it's the king?

I know I tend to get winded. So whatever I reply I want to be short and succinct and to the point.

But it's hard to do.

I was gonna go with they will spend all this money on promoting their Coin and my .com benefits from their ad budget.

Every domainer must at least know the benefits of owning a .com. Tell him that most people aren't aware that there is a .io cctld, and that when you tell someone your business name for example is ShitCoin, they automatically imagine that your website would be ShitCoin.com, not .io or .crap. Customers look at businesses with bad domains with somewhat distrust. And his customers can get confused and visit the .com instead of .io. Finally, send him to NameBio.com and he will then be able to see how much .com's are selling for.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back