IT.COM

Certificate scam from fake 123 Reg Uk e-mail

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Vebster

Established Member
Impact
Since I can't post in the alert section I wanna warn you, that I received this scam from this Email

info(at)123-reg-co-uk.info

Hello!

I represent a businessman who is going to buy (Domainname).

I located your contact information in a domain name whois lookup and understand that you own the domain name.

Are you still interested in selling?

I work for a hosting company based in UK.

I help our clients to buy and sell web sites and domains.

Do you have more names? Can you send a list?

Are you an experienced seller?

Best Regards,

Stephen Kane

Vice President

123 REG UK

After i asked for an offer:

Your buyer is a well known investor in Norway.
He offers $12,000. He is also interested in

(6 more domainnames)

Do you have a certificate?

He needs this for accounting/tax purposes.

If you don't have it's not a problem. You can order it online.
This is not the full mail, but you should know where this is going ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Received this also.

Thanks for the heads up!

-Omar

•••
Wow! Thanks for sharing.

•••
Received this as well just today, from [email protected]

In a second email he cites a big offer and he's demanding (needed "for accounting/tax purposes") a certificate and indirectly suggesting a service from a site with a domain created on September 24th 2015. On that site they claim to have sold around 60k domains with an average sale price of $18k.

•••
Thanks for the heads-up!
I found it very suspicious that being a registrar they would opt for a .info recent (2015/09/10) domain for email accounts.

•••
Received one similar today from this address: [email protected]

but "my" vice president has a different name :laugh:

•••

You can tell by looking at the domain (after the "@") that this is a cheapy made up domain that someone like 123Reg wouldn't bother with:

123Reg wouldn't have loads of hyphens and a dot info TLD:
123-reg-co-uk.info
;)

•••
•••
Same email, same appraisal scam, different name, different email addy:

"Hello!

I represent a professional investor from Scotland who wants to buy (my domain).com for a new project.

I located your contact information in a domain name whois lookup and understand that you own the domain name.

If you have more names I can help you to sell them.

Best Regards,

Walter Dawson

Customer Support

Domain Names Department

1and1 UK"

His email addy was [email protected]
That .info domain forwards to 1and1 (dot co dot uk), to make it look legit and like he's a real domain broker with a large company. Have fun kiddies, hope he didn't fool any of you out of your cash.

•••
There should be some penalty or something for these scams. Its really annoying how you get that rush and thrill that somebody likes your domain and 2 minutes later... you realize that its a scam... oh well...:(

Do others still constantly get those requests by people to build out your domain as its so good?? Its the same emails each time but from different people.

Regardless, do others still get emails from "Domain Service" that their name is about to expire and pls come and renew it by them..even though it was never registered with them...

•••
Hello!

I represent a professional investor from Scotland who wants to buy xxxxxxx for a new project.

Best Regards,

Walter Dawson

Customer Support

Domain Names Department

1and1 UK

Got one :)

•••
Do others still constantly get those requests by people to build out your domain as its so good?? Its the same emails each time but from different people.

Regardless, do others still get emails from "Domain Service" that their name is about to expire and pls come and renew it by them..even though it was never registered with them...

Yes, and yes.
I constantly receive spammy emails saying they will help build my site, or make it better, or optimize it better, or whatever.

And I constantly receive emails from "domain service" giving me a friendly warning that my domain is about to expire and I can transfer it easily over to them for renewal. For the wonderful price of only $75 per year renewal. Funny (or rather, annoying) thing is that those emails come at any time and have nothing to do with the actual expiry date of my domain... I'll receive one of those 'expiring soon' emails from them even when there's ten months left to go on my reg; also, they will send me those emails for domains I have sold or let drop YEARS AGO. They obviously add to a database but do nothing to update it or keep it accurate with current whois info.

A rather annoying fact is that so many of them troll here at Namepros looking for their meat. I've regged domains for years, but it's been years since I received an appraisal scam, and a 'I'll help with your site' spam, both immediately after registering a domain. And it's been years since I posted one of my new regs in the 'your reg of the day' thread. On a whim - because I forgot that I receive such a sudden increase in spam/scams whenever I post a new reg on that thread - I mentioned my new reg there a couple days ago, and BAM, immediately I receive my first appraisal scam email in about five years, and immediately an offer to help build a website for that domain. They nibble fast, those rats :) But it reminded me why I stopped posting new regs here. Too bad.

•••
I just got one of those now and Google'd to see if they were legit. I saw the .info in the name but didn't copy paste, so I typed it into Google and I was like "wow, this is a real webhost with an alexa rank too!" but then I double checked the e-mail addy because I was wondering why a company set up with Sedo's premium would bother me and not even take the time to haggle in the offer.

•••
here is another fake email that they use:

info(at)hostgator-web-host.info

•••
Maybe all of us should start messing with these people. We'd keep them very busy for nothing in the end, lol.

•••
Just got one of those too :guilty:

Thought I was going to get rich... Till I read this thread.

Thank you guys.

•••
Received same just this afternoon... "professional investor" in Canada

Lol

•••
•••
Hello,

New email is rebecca@1-2-3-reg-uk. co

Email is completely messed up. Can we together take steps to bring the real person down?

I almost lost $450 in this process. They redirect us to Domain-analysis.com
Please be wary.

Also, I have many one word domains. What can I do to sell them? I want good sales.

Please confirm if this is a scam?

Canadian investor, $15,000. etc.

Do I have any other good ways of selling?
Also, do you feel I should hold-
1) .com domains for a few years for increase in price.
2) .io domains so it increases in value as premium .io domains go for only $1,000 or $2,000 maximum (on marketplaces).

Thanks

•••
Hello,

Please confirm if this is a scam?

Canadian investor, $15,000. etc.

Almost certainly. If you really want to respond (then you'll trigger an interest flag which will have you targetted even more) than simply point them to your domain listing on Sedo, Afternic, etc. No direct sales, no direct discussion.

I would just ignore it.

•••
Just got a similiar mail

[email protected]
<[email protected]> Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 8:38 PM
To: [email protected]

Hello!

I represent an investor from Canada who wants to buy trollific.com for a new online project.

The buyer is a professional investor.

I help clients of our hosting company to buy and sell intellectual properties.

Best Regards,

Miya Ravinski

Domain Name Broker

Hell with these scammers

Last edited:
•••
and this is my reply

Hi Miya,

Thanks for writing,

I guess you are a legit broker, coz I got some similar spammy mails
earlier with the same content and later when I proposed the offer they
asked me to get an appraisal from a site, which I haven't heard of.

So if you are legit and wanna broker this domain, it has to go through
ESCROW.com and my price for this domain is $82,000.

Please let me know your take.

Regards,
Cake Code

•••
assuming this one is fake too.....?

Hello!

I represent a buyer from Oxford (England) who wants to purchase v**z.com for a new web project.

He can make you a really good offer.

Please get back to me if you are still interested in selling.

If you have more names please email me the list. I will offer your names to our investors.

Best regards,

Sophie Steele

Vice President

Investor Relations

1 2 3 R E G UK Hosting

Uxbridge

UK

1 2 3 - r e g . c o . u k

The senders email actually resolves at 123reg so they must be getting better at this now. Haven't replied as yet

•••
Since I can't post in the alert section I wanna warn you, that I received this scam from this Email

After i asked for an offer:

This is not the full mail, but you should know where this is going ;)

•••
HI Everyone,

I just got an extremely similar email from a "broker" named "Satoka Tagawai" claiming to be in Japan. He uses an email address that looks like it belongs to a Japanese hosting company called Conoha. I looked up the appraiser he suggested and the website came up on a scam alert on the site, Scam Detector, which showed it was only three months old and located in Germany. It seems the idea is that they get you to pay $99 to this phony appraisal site, then drop the offer.

•••
Back