Dynadot

question Can someone please show me how?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Michael Martins

Established Member
Impact
Can someone please show me how to buy and sell domains for profit. I have had a ton of domains I registered and had to let expire because someone said they were all crap. Plus I know nothing about the best way to promote the sale of my domains

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Nobody will "show" you how ... you need to read and learn. Since you have already registered some names and let them expire, you now have some experience. And since you are not giving up and still interested in the domain business, I've written about Buying and Selling Domain Names for Profit ... reading and learning now that you at least have tried it may be your best bet. Good luck!

•••
•••
•••
•••
Michael,

I suggest you start reading here on Namepros. Also start reading on Domaining.com. You need to carefully study the domains that sell every day. Study the extensions, the words, the prices, etc. You need to know a deal when you see one.

Otherwise, buy low, sell high, like any other investment. Learn how to research a domain name on your own. It's history, value, potential end users, etc.

Domain names are a very complex area of investing. We are all teaching you. "We" means every domain investor that has ever posted here on Namepros, and every person that contributes to the industry.

Take your time. Set short term learning goals for yourself. Always search for your answers before asking questions. You will learn much, much more that way.

•••
To reduce the risk of losing your money you must first invest in yourself

Here is What you should do:

1) Read some books about Domain Investing, Flipping Domains, Buying and Selling Domains
2) Check Daily Domain sales report on namebio, DNjournal, namepros
3 ) Don't rush to buy domains until you do some research.
4) When you reg names ask some pro domainers here in NP for appraisal until you know the game.
5) And finally, learn from the mistakes of others.

Last edited:
•••
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is."

Isaac Asimov

And learning from our mistakes, which @Michael Martins has admitted to :)

Asimov was one of my favourite SF authors when I was a kid, before the WWW existed.
We are living in the age of Multivac that he envisioned!

•••
And learning from our mistakes, which @Michael Martins has admitted to :)

Asimov was one of my favourite SF authors when I was a kid, before the WWW existed.
We are living in the age of Multivac that he envisioned!
Agree, Asimov and also Arthur C Clarke = visionaries 😉🙂

•••
Last edited:
•••
Funny you should mention Clarke, another of my favourites.
I wrote a piece about Arthur C Clarke's death for the paper I used to work for in Australia.
Very nice - one of favourite series in any genre was his Rama books (also Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series & Terry Brooks Sword of Shannara collection make my top 3!) but I'm going off topic, maybe for another day.........

•••
delete me - off-topic...

Last edited:
•••
everything on the internet has a price anyway, you mightve lost them, but someday if any were of that much interest you can always buy them again. Good luck. Make sure to buy some 4L.coms also and just keep them on a "shelf".

•••
Nobody will "show" you how ... you need to read and learn. Since you have already registered some names and let them expire, you now have some experience. And since you are not giving up and still interested in the domain business, I've written about Buying and Selling Domain Names for Profit ... reading and learning now that you at least have tried it may be your best bet. Good luck!
Thank you, Can I have the book you have written

•••
Thank you guys I appreciate your input, may you recommend the books I can start off with?

•••
Thank you guys I appreciate your input, may you recommend the books I can start off with?

Id listen to a lot of the blogs, podcasts and interviews with experienced domainers, much easier and faster than books...or listen the audio books 👍😊

•••
Id listen to a lot of the blogs, podcasts and interviews with experienced domainers, much easier and faster than books...or listen the audio books 👍😊

Thank you, where can I find them

•••
Search on here and also google domainer podcasts, interviews etc

This forum has all the info you need to get going though, some of the top domainers will be for when you have made some sales and want to fine tune your craft like...increase your total sales, aim for higher sales, buy more expensive names etc

•••
@koolishman .. gave you one of the place places to start reading in the very first post ...
https://www.namepros.com/threads/popular-beginner-resources.844937/

If you do a lot of walking, go back and list to all episodes of Domain Sherpa.
domainsherpa.com

Come join us on The Domain Social every Friday.
TheDomainSocial.com

I wouldn't focus on "domain books" too much .. I don't know of any that are really accurate. They're mostly about just rambling long enough to get you to pay for the book I think.

You have enough with what I've posted to keep you busy full time for a couple of months ..

If you're truly serious about learning everything A to Z from top to bottom, and want to invest in your domain education by taking an actual course, then go see @Michael Cyger at DNAcademy .. just be prepared to do some actual work.

Last edited:
•••
This is a highly competitive business. If you are just entering you need realistic expectations.
It will likely be a long journey and take years to learn and potentially turn a profit.

Good luck.

Brad

•••
For beginners:

1. Don't buy a name that does not have at least 1000 possible buyers you could contact. A name like Trolty might sound great but who are you contacting about this name? Instead pick names that have keywords for major industries. FastCatering, QualityCleaning and even 3 word domains that are exact match keywords (EMD) are better than trying to guess a brandable name.

2. Stick to dot com

3. List names with a BIN + make offer.

4. Offer payment plans, if you use SH, Dan etc it's an option

5. Do outbound, even 5 minutes a day, 10 contacts a day, always set aside some time for that.

6. Some names take years to sell. When you register a name ask yourself how many renewals is it worth? If you have to think about it, its probably not a name you should register as a beginner.

7. Learn to sell. Pitch the name, sell it. Most people doing outbound / inbound make no effort to get the buyer excited about the name. Share some data like number of searches the keyword gets, in what extensions its registered, its age, any inbound links, comparable sales, general domain sale data, hype it up while being honest and you will see results.

How do you know you hyped it up enough? When you yourself start having doubts if you should even sell the name especially at the price you are asking for it. I once pitched a name so good, I started doubting if such a good name is really in my account.

8. Give the potential buyer ideas what he can do with the name. Most people you contact already have a name, they already paid money to SEO it, they built a brand around it, why should they buy your name? Explain to them the benefits of building out a site just for traffic, to exchange links with others in their business, maybe start a community on that domain, explain they can redirect it to their main site. Depending on the name and industry you must help them think.

9. Everyone is on alert for scams. Don't try saving a few % and risk sales. Explain how you protect them, escrow, third party etc.

10. Do not send them to a page full of other domains (especially if they are not yours). He is finally excited enough to click, now what? He sees names priced less than yours, even if you know the reason why its priced less, to the buyer it brings the entire value of domains down, they are not domainers. Other names can get them distracted too. You must keep the buyer focused or you will lose.

11. Visuals help. If you could include a logo or a few logos on a page, do so.

12. Always make sure people visiting the domain know its for sale and it leads to a buy now / make offer / payment plan option.

•••
•••
Back