Dynadot

Can registrars "lock" you until the next renewal?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

FNet

Established Member
Impact
Hello, I 'm puzzled about something. I noticed that many registrars have very low prices for hand registering (cost below than the registry charges them) followed by a much higher the next year. So when the registrant renews the domain they will have profit or at least break even. So my question is how do they "lock" the registrant to not transfer the domain to another registrar after the 60 days got elapsed? And if they don't , how do they cover the loss?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. They don't have any rights to block transfer-outs (after 60 days).
2. Such prices are just some kind of advertising...

•••
they don't lock aftr 60 days
its illegal.

some may take loss, but most probably do not and simply sell to you based on discounted prices they get from their supplier.

•••
•••
Also thanks @Jurgen Wolf .

Sorry for the newbie question. Just wondering how that's true.

•••
Read the terms carefully. The registrars do a lot of stuff... just because they can. And even where they are not allowed to, they will do it anyway as long as nobody is watching (or making it a public issue).
What will likely happen though: you will be required to enter valid credit card information, then they will keep the details on file and renew the domain early, without prior notice. By then you will likely have forgotten until you see a pleasant charge on your statement.

Choose your registrar carefully and don't be lured by cheap prices :)
PS: could be useful to search the forums for nasty experiences.

•••
good advice from Kate.
some cheap lame registrars who do not care for reputation will play tricks and renew early. I read stories too.

so just be sure on whichever registrar you are on, make sure to turn off all renewals right after regging domains. or soon after. and u should be okay.

most registrars play no tricks luckily.. try sticking with major ones like godaddy for example. sometimes its just plain best to be where most people are.. for ease of push of domain after sale/buy etc.. and in world of domaining, most popular and biggest = goddady. it is also one with most complete best features for domainer... on a one to one registrar comparaison basis.. of course.

good luck

•••
Some registrars can charge you to unlock the domain. This practice is allowed by ICANN and says so on the ICANN website.

Make sure you always read the T's & C's before jumping at any promos.

•••
•••
there is no catch.

stick to major rergistrars like godaddy, namecheap, dynadot, moniker, namesilo (google top 10 registrear or somehting like that for full list) and do not waste your time worrying about 1 in million exceptions. u have more chance of hit by lightning than regiatrars playing tricks on you.

or do not even google anything and stick to godaddy only and you'll never be tricked. thats where most people are. and its the best place to be. enjoy domaining and happy learning.. this is supposed to be fun and enjoyable business, so do not waste yoru time with nonsense worries. gl.

•••
•••
I don't think so many registrar can lock you or charge anything on transfer out.

One registrar I came upon is Names.co.uk which will unlock the domain after you pay GBP 10+VAT. Should not register with them. Actually they're affiliated with register.it and also resell domains from them.

•••
Thanks Kate, I didn t play any tricks, neither do I have more than one account in the same registrar. I asked because I was curious how do they risk to get a loss (some people can abuse this).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back