IT.COM

Can I use a domain for free?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Portos

Impact
My team and I are currently working on a big project; building a website. We are using a personal server. Our aim is to make the website as professional as possible but we don’t want a purchase a domain. Can we really get an unused domain that we do not have to pay a subscription to a company? Or is there a way you can register a personal domain without having to buy it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello!

You can register free domains here: www.freenom.com/

Not sure it's very professional though... :)

•••
You can use freenom but be careful bcos if it's a free domain then if someone else pays or decides to buy the domain then it will go to them.

Also, considering you are your team are working on a big project surely it would make sense to spend even $1 or something on a .xyz domain or I even think name.com has .online domain registrations on special this month for a $1 as well...

•••
fasthosts.com also give .com domain for GBP 1.2.

I don't understand , such a big project and why there is hesitation for getting a domain name? even a dummy one for test will do..just pick one from the daily deleted garbage bin :)

or the big project is part of ISIS and you dont want to own the domain , which will reveal your identity :)..just kidding

Last edited:
•••
Just purchase the domain name stop hassling with Free.

•••
•••
Big project and don't want to spend money buying domain name! What kind of big project and your idea is!!

•••
You can try rukiddingme.com. They have daily deals like free domains for big projects.

Last edited:
•••
We can offer free domain for big projects on personal servers. You have to arrange the conveyance and hotel expenses for our inspector who will visit to assess if the project is really big and the server is personal. Once our inspector is satisfied, we will send you the domain through international courier.

•••
moonfruit.com lets you do website projects for free. They want you to buy after a trial or you can keep it free, up to you.

•••
Hey you can use one of my names for free if you wish. Let me know what it's for and we can discuss it.

•••
We can offer free domain for big projects on personal servers. You have to arrange the conveyance and hotel expenses for our inspector who will visit to assess if the project is really big and the server is personal. Once our inspector is satisfied, we will send you the domain through international courier.
:-D:-D:-D:-D

•••
•••
Big project and don't want to spend money buying domain name! What kind of big project and your idea is!!
They probably are investing a whole huge 4 bucks. Or even 5.

•••
•••
The OP posted this exact same question on another board a week or so ago. Personally, I think it's some kid just messing around and trying to push our buttons. Certainly no one with a big team working on a large project with their own web server would ask such a ridiculous question.

•••
My team and I are currently working on a big project; building a website. We are using a personal server. Our aim is to make the website as professional as possible but we don’t want a purchase a domain.
Unbelievable...big project and as professional as possible but don't want to buy a domain. However that's your choice. How about 99 cent domain. Find coupon and buy it. It's better free domain anyway.

•••
Oh wow, is it really getting to the point where people not only don't want to pay aftermarket prices for domains, it's now basic registration fees being a deterrent? :laugh:

Last edited:
•••
sounds like a small price to pay for a big project ;)
nike says just do it.
good luck :)

•••
you can but it needs a mutual understanding with the already owned buyer

•••
There are many domain providers that offer free subdomains, but some even offer domains. It is better to purchase a domain because the free domain is ownership is usually with the domain provider.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back