IT.COM

Can GoDaddy staff log into your account and use it to search for names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have had an unpleasant experience with Godaddy lately. When I logged into my account recently, an unregged domain was showing there on my dashboard. I don't log in often, in fact hardly. So I never searched for the domain in question. It seems from contacting the support, that someone logged into my account and did a search for that domain, and that's why it is showing up on my dashboard as a 'recommendation' or 'reminder' from Godaddy.

Same thing happens if you click on the button to search for a suitable business name, any name you search for, that name appears on the dashboard later on, as a permanent (or semi permanent?) 'reminder'.

I feel a little disturbed by my experience. As it is, I never had a good impression of Godaddy all these years. Can they do such things?

Mods, feel free to move this thread to an appropriate section if deemed in the wrong section.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
can they do it technically... I think yes.

can they do it if they are smart and want to keep their job... no.

is if smart to work at gd and want to keep your job... no.

•••
I mean, they are your daddy, after all. Why shouldn't they be able to do this?

•••
It depends on who you mean with "GoDaddy." Some of the administrators technically could. But their phone support most likely couldn't.

Are they legally allowed to? No. There are regulations in place that prevent them from doing so without my explicit concession.

Not legal advice.

Last edited:
•••
•••
It is probably just a recommendation based on a search you did in the past, or other domains you have in your account. It might not even be a good recommendation, but suggesting available domains doesn't necessarily mean anyone logged into your account, that is a "feature" of the system. They are just trying to upsell you.

Last edited:
•••
I feel a little disturbed by my experience. As it is, I never had a good impression of Godaddy all these years. Can they do such things?

Hi @Datalife,
Absolutely not. Customer security is taken extremely seriously. If you're worried about unauthorized access, we'd recommend steps to sure-up your account, including changing your password.

Last edited:
•••
Also, enable 2 Factor Authentication. I've been on the phone with them, and they always needed the 2FA code to access my account.

•••
Hi @Datalife,
Absolutely not. Customer security is taken extremely seriously. If you're worried about unauthorized access, we'd recommend steps to sure-up your account, including changing your password.
The Godaddy staff I spoke to does not have any idea how come that domain appears in my account dashboard.

I can confirm 101% I never searched for any domains in Godaddy. So for this domain to appear in my account on the dashboard, is.....disturbing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back