Dynadot

question Can a domain still in redemption status be sold at auction?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
I have two domains both were registered on the same date.

8/11 both expired

One is in redemption status and a fee can be paid to redeem it.

The other was sold off at expired auction and I can no longer redeem.

Is this kosher?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Were they both dot com? I would think the one bought was a gtld so different.

•••
Both were .com. Registrar is saying because there was more interest in the other that it was sold and the one no one wanted at auction went into redemption status.

I don’t get it. Redemption status is redemption status. For long as I can remember the problem with expired domain auctions is that you were bidding on domains that at last minute people could pay a redemption fee to recover it.

If one of two domains is in redemption then surely the other is too regardless of whether someone like one more than the other to put a bid on it. Although I do recall instances when someone puts a bid on a domain at auction things change somehow.

I see enough people complain on here about how or why they won a domain and then they did not get the domain.

It was always explained that the owner paid the redemption.

•••
I notice when i drop some are taken almost right away i have dropped decent names outside my usual niches to keep on a budget and to buy more of what i want.

•••
Both were .com. Registrar is saying because there was more interest in the other that it was sold and the one no one wanted at auction went into redemption status.

I don’t get it. Redemption status is redemption status. For long as I can remember the problem with expired domain auctions is that you were bidding on domains that at last minute people could pay a redemption fee to recover it.

If one of two domains is in redemption then surely the other is too regardless of whether someone like one more than the other to put a bid on it. Although I do recall instances when someone puts a bid on a domain at auction things change somehow.

I see enough people complain on here about how or why they won a domain and then they did not get the domain.

It was always explained that the owner paid the redemption.
I don't know the exact ICANN rulling on this one, but I know that some registrars are doing this, for example, at namesilo, when a .com is 33 days expired and switching from grace to redemption, some can bid up to 24 hours before this and if you don't renew it until it goes to redemption, the bidder will get the domain, so no redemption period if there are any bids.

•••
3.1. With the exception of sponsored gTLD registries, all gTLD registries must offer a Redemption Grace Period ("RGP") of 30 days immediately following the deletion of a registration, during which time the deleted registration may be restored at the request of the RAE by the registrar that deleted it. Registrations deleted during a registry's add-grace period, if applicable, should not be subject to the RGP.

3.2. During the Redemption Grace Period, the registry must disable DNS resolution and prohibit attempted transfers of the registration. ICANN-approved bulk transfers and permitted partial bulk transfers are not subject to the prohibition of attempted transfers. The registry must also clearly indicate in its Whois result for the registration that it is in its Redemption Grace Period.

3.3. Registrars must permit the RAE to redeem a deleted registration during RGP (if RGP is offered by the respective registry).

Seems 30 days is all they have to offer the original registrant.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back