IT.COM

question Can a domain be change from Non-Premium to Premium status?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Can a domain be change from Non-Premium to Premium status?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Can a domain be change from Non-Premium to Premium status?

Maybe you guys can answer that. I've done a lot of reading and couldn't find anything that says a domain cannot be changed to premium from non-premium. I'm not a lawyer, I just play one online, so maybe it's there and I'm just not seeing it.

RightSide said they have no plans to do anything like that, but didn't say that they couldn't change a domains status/classification. Kudos to them for at least saying something.

I started a "Call out to Registry Reps" thread, but they didn't want to answer this question.

Can the registry change a domain from Non-Premium to Premium. If the domain is unregistered I'm sure they can do it, but what about registered domains?

Not trying to start a The sky is falling thread, I just want an answer on this issue.
I agree that it would not be smart to do something like this, but can it be done?

Please debate this issue.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe it has happened here. There was a thread about how the registry changed the renewal from 20 to 500 so as to obtain the domain name back from the registrant.

Will post the link, if I find it.

•••
If the registries would put out a list of premium domains before launch, it would be harder for them to re-classify a domain that someone registered for a standard reg fee after launch.

Not saying they couldn't, just saying they would have a harder time justifying any reclassification.
There have been a couple reports of fishy things like this happening, but no one seems to be able to get to the bottom of the issue. The registries won't step in and clarify things either.

The agreements all seem very vague of course. I can't find an ICANN rep to save my life.
I've sent a complaint to ICANN and haven't heard from them.

The TOS between the registrant and the registry says that prices can change without notice so that might be the wiggle room need to re-classify a domain and get away with it.

If anyone on here knows Michael Berkens or a way to contact him, we could ask him more about his issue with Mind&Machines.

•••
@brindle123 . You seem to put a lot of effort into this. Appreciate. This is a very, very important core question about the new LTDs from which we should not look away.

•••
''premium'' and ''non premium'' are just arbitrary words.

bottom line is 1) an agreement to rent is made at one price, with total balance due all over again in 52 weeks, and then all over again 52 weeks again after that (keep repeating)
2) this agreement was breached because the smell of more money was smelled.

•••
•••
No it can't be changed, without notice. The fact is if you reg the domain at a sale price but it's considered a premium that's what's getting everyone confused and upset. I've been there!

•••
For clarification purposes, should the POLL question not be:
Can a domain be changed from Non-Premium to Premium status, while it is currently being hold by someone ?

Because, that is the catch right ?

Last edited:
•••
•••
No it can't be changed, without notice.

"Prices are current as of 3/27/2016, and may be changed without notice."

This was in the small print from an email I got from Godaddy. This was for a renewal notice, but it still could be used as a notice to increase the price to anything really.

The fact is if you reg the domain at a sale price but it's considered a premium that's what's getting everyone confused and upset

I'm talking about reg'n a domain at what is considered a standard renewal price, but then the registry changes the classification of your domain to what they consider "Premium". So you buy it at $20, then when you go to renew it, the new renew fee is much higher than what the standard renewal is.

Example: you are now being charged $100, but you could register a different domain for $20-$25.
or your renewal goes from $20 to $400 per year.

Can this type of thing happen? I know renewal fees can change, but can they change to whatever the registry wants them to change to?

•••
"Prices are current as of 3/27/2016, and may be changed without notice."

This was in the small print from an email I got from Godaddy. This was for a renewal notice, but it still could be used as a notice to increase the price to anything really.

I'm talking about reg'n a domain at what is considered a standard renewal price, but then the registry changes the classification of your domain to what they consider "Premium". So you buy it at $20, then when you go to renew it, the new renew fee is much higher than what the standard renewal is.

Example: you are now being charged $100, but you could register a different domain for $20-$25.
or your renewal goes from $20 to $400 per year.

Can this type of thing happen? I know renewal fees can change, but can they change to whatever the registry wants them to change to?

Is it the register, or registry doing this? I own hundreds of them and during spot checks everything has remained the same with pricing. I've read about this happening, maybe someone can provide an exact example, or have they somewhere?

It was my understanding all registry increases must go through ICANN.

•••
IMO, registries can't increase renewal prices for names (premium) which are already registered.

Last edited:
•••

IMO, registries can't increase renewal prices for names (premium) which are already registered.

You would hope they can't or wouldn't, but I don't think it is clear if they can change a domain to premium if it is already owned.

The registrar can charge you anything over what the registry puts on the extension. That's why people move domains around from registrar to registrar.

Now to the real issue of what the registry can tell the registrar to charge you. Michael Berkens is the biggest example of the registry telling the registrar to change what they were charging him for renewals. The registry said that there was a pricing discrepancy and that the registrar should have charged him at premium pricing.

Now if the registry had a premium list out and it had those domains on the list then that would clear that issue up a little more. We don't know if there was a premium list put out of what the registry considered premium.

Can they add a domain to a premium list after that domain is already sold and registered by a registrant?
Where does is say in any contract that the registry can't change a domain to premium, registered or not?

My understanding is that they only need to give notice to ICANN and the registrar of a price increase. As far as I know they don't have to state what that increase is. No notice has to be given to the registrant either!

I'm making the call for price caps and 60 day notice to be given to the registrant of any price change or increase.

•••
Well, I just read a post by Colin of .club in the "Official .Club" thread.

He said that if a domain is dropped, it can and will be reassessed by the registry to determine if it should be reclassified as premium and placed into the registry's "Tiered Pricing Program".

If that is the case, any domain that gets dropped, can be reclassified from non-premium to premium.

What that means is that if any domain is developed into a brand, is a generic keyword, LLL, LLLL, NNN, NNNN, or any domain really, can be placed onto the premium domain list that is held by the registry. It can then have higher pricing placed on it. Over time, all domains with any real value will be placed into the "Tiered Pricing Programs" throughout all GTLDs.

Even domains held by registrants can get placed onto the list and when not renewed, could be deemed premium. If you build a brand and develop a site, you better have your auto-renew on or you could be in for much higher pricing. I'm not sure how this may work with brands that get TM protection. Could they be placed into higher pricing tiers?

Registries won't come out and say that domains held by registrants could be reclassified from non-premium to premium. Any domain not held can be placed into the tiered pricing program at anytime. Any domain that gets dropped can also be placed into the tiered pricing program.

It is my belief that domains held by registrants can be placed on the list, whether or not premium prices can be placed on them when still held has yet to be determined.

More needs to discovered on this topic. Not many people want to talk about or look into this and the registries and ICANN don't help by being very vague on the issue.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back