Dynadot

Buying domain from someone - What is renewal fee?

NameSilo
Watch

TerriJ

Established Member
Impact
If I purchase a domain from another person and not directly through a registrar, how much is the renewal fee?

Is it the standard for that TLD at MY registrar?
Is it based off of the seller's registrar?

For example, my preferred registrar is Namecheap.
Let's say I buy a whatever.com from BillyBob who uses Other Registrar.
Say their free for .coms is $18. But at Nameceap it's only $10.
Will I be paying $18 or $10.
I'm guessing the latter, but I'm not sure.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Edit: should say: "their FEE" ... not "their free"

•••
If you buy the domain and it is located at GoDaddy and he transfers it to your GoDaddy account, then you pay GoDaddy prices.

If you ask the seller to provide you an auth code so you can transfer it to NameCheap, then you will pay NameCheap prices.

How do you know where the domain is currently located? Ask the seller or run a whois check.

http://www.gwhois.org

Last edited:
•••
If you want the domain transferred to your registrar, then you ask the seller for the authorization code and you apply for a transfer at your registrar.

•••
It depends upon registrar you choose to go with. And its simple if you want to transfer to namecheap you will be paying $10 as renewable fee. And please do keep in mind transferring domain names from one registrar to another do cost you a bit of money. It would be around $7 to $8 in my experience.

•••
It depends upon registrar you choose to go with. And its simple if you want to transfer to namecheap you will be paying $10 as renewable fee. And please do keep in mind transferring domain names from one registrar to another do cost you a bit of money. It would be around $7 to $8 in my experience.

Wow.... thanks for the reminder. I totally forgot about that.

I have my eyes on a domain name someone's selling on eBay. Luckily this person is also at NC... so no transfer fee. :$:

•••
Wow.... thanks for the reminder. I totally forgot about that.

I have my eyes on a domain name someone's selling on eBay. Luckily this person is also at NC... so no transfer fee. :$:
Good Luck with it.:)

•••
The only curveball you can be thrown here is, if it is a tld that has some special Premium Domains that have some stiff Premium renewal prices. You did not specify which tld. I would assume it is com, net or org. If so, then you are fine. All of those 3 have standard renewal fees with no crazy premium renewal fee pricing structure.

Last edited:
•••
The only curveball you can be thrown here is, if it is a tld that has some special Premium Domains that have some stiff Premium renewal prices. You did not specify which tld. I would assume it is com, net or org. If so, then you are fine. All of those 3 have standard renewal fees with no crazy premium renewal fee pricing structure.
Yeah, it's a .com
I own a few other tlds and know how expensive they are. $30+
My plan is if I don't do anything with those domains (sell, auction or build a monetized site) I will definitely be letting those expire.

•••

So what are the TLDs that have that kind of premiun pricing?

Thank you :)

•••
Back