Dynadot

domains Buying an existing domain name doesn't have to cost a fortune

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
A window on the fascinating world of ‘domaining’

Recently, internet auction house Sedo.com published its Global Domain Report for 2020. As well as describing trends in the market as a whole, the publication provides information about the domain name trading mediated by Sedo. The report makes compelling reading. Because, with roughly 19 million domain names for sale, Sedo is a major global player on a market where good data is hard to come by. Rather than giving a representative picture of the market as a whole, the report is a window on the fascinating world of 'domaining' -- the business of buying and selling domain names. The central take-home point is that transactions of less than $1,000 account for the majority of trades.

Low-value sales dominate
It may come as a surprise to hear that domain names generally change hands for so little money. After all, most sales that make the news involve huge price tickets: when voice.com was sold for $30 million last year, it hit the headlines all over the world. However, the reporting of such mega-deals can easily give a distorted impression. In reality, Sedo says, about two thirds of all domain names sold in 2019 changed hands for less than $1,000. Indeed, 45 per cent of sales were for less than $500. And the hammer went down at more than $10,000 in just 3 per cent of auctions.

Averages and corrected averages
The influence of the top-end sales is emphasised by the difference between overall average transaction values and the average values after excluding outliers. In 2019, the overall average price for a .com name sold through Sedo was $2,693, for example. However, once outliers -- very high and low-value transactions -- are removed from the picture, the average comes down to $530. The corresponding figures for .nl are $1,683 and $776.

Read more (SIDN)

Een domeinnaam kopen kost minder dan je denkt  SIDN.png

Read more (SIDN)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if your average sale is not between $4-6K per .com then you are selling for too low or you have crappy domains

•••
Thanks @Lox. I haven't downloaded the full report. But your summary makes interesting reading.

1). I assume .ai is so high because it's so HOT with fewer sales but at a much higher rate. It's a ccTLD which I haven't been concentrating on. (missed the boat I suppose by now. All the cream gone or hard to get).

2) I was shocked to see the low average price of .com's. But it's all those small value domains being sold depressing it. I don't use sedo anyway. I've always found Afternic a better proposition. I basically stopped using them when I deleted all my domains to refresh my domains, and they wanted me to point all my domains back to their servers again (a mistake on my part, which I'd forgotten about), but I was selling before that 1 domain a year at Sedo, and between 10-20 domains a year at Afternic. So it was an easy choice to ignore Sedo. It sounds like a hard sell to me to get the upper side of the average. And to be honest, I'm not interested in selling my domains at the $600 level. (except to get rid of them).

3) I was surprised in this report to see the liquidity of the european ccTLD markets, except maybe Germany. It's nothing I actually pay attention too.

4) my interest is only in .com and to a much lesser extent (maybe only 5-10% of .com), .net .org .biz. I think it's time to drop my .net .org .biz.

5) I was surprised to see .biz still selling anything :)

That was my take.

Last edited:
•••
Sedo failed to innovate - too slow to respond to change, ignoring the competition, counting on existing network of their B2B B2C connections. Not thinking much about -in the future- CEOs CFOs Decision makers etc Chair rotations.

As for Afternic, there's something going on ... indications are they'll focus more on selling NameFind DNs and GD appraisal tool massively contributed in shaking (already downhill) aftermarket price by lowering the value of t T2 T3 and T4-unproductive (junk) domain names.

If you follow DAN's sale reports, you'll notice they are doing a great job in selling cctlds & ngtlds. (Today, I noticed a very large amount of .me DNs going out / sold and a couple of T1 domains 5 figures).

It's too late for .net and .org to recoup. In 2019 .ORG alone lost 400k regs. Maybe yet another Regbait $0.99 tactic can help them in a short run.

More likely micro-platforms (influencers) will rule the aftermarket in 2021-25, providing business environment where the consumer/prospect can "focus" on a few category defined (identified) names vs jungle-jack.

(my 2ct)

Regards

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back