Dynadot

discuss Buyer pays first. Any other option?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I lately faced a couple of issues where I suspect one of the reasons to be, asking the buyer to pay first.

While the deals were mostly $175, $199 and so on (outbound), I think if asking the buyer to pay first is the reason they are backing out, thinking if this could be a scam (even after sharing my contact number, LinkedIn id in the signature), then there might be a solution to this that someone may have figured out already. Or is there?

I mean Escrow is out of choice. PayPal has the refund policy given the scenario, in case the domain name investor does not end up transferring the domain name to the buyer's account.

But is there some kind of policy for domain name investors, such that, if they transfer the domain first (to make the buyer comfortable about the payment), and if the buyer defaults, can the domain transfer be reversed?

If yes, please share the same with me or any experience that you may have had, where you transferred the domain name to the buyer's account first, but they did not end up sending the payment to your account. Was it your loss or could you do something about it?

If no, how do we do this for small transactions? I saw a couple of buyers recently left after asking how do we do this? To which I generally reply, transfer the amount to my account and I will transfer the domain.
A couple of them left!

Maybe, I am biased in some way or the other here, and maybe, deal always falls out this way. But there has got to be some way.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A successful deal will happen if it is meant to be.

I have had deals went off due to different reasons but I dont think most deals fall off due to trust. I have had situation where I have offered to transfer domain to enduser first after weeks of twist and turns cum agreement but still ended up not paying

I have also seen other domainers successfully completed a transaction after end users called them a scam due to payment issues on Dan but they still ended up paying anyway, after changing nameservers to other marketplace.

In short, a serious buyer who sees value in what you are offering him

Last edited:
•••
Dan.com, imported lead or just raise your price a little bit to account for their 9% fees. Safest for both parties, nice landers, easy setup.

•••
Use DAN or Epik or even Afternic. Your problem is not pay first. Its not being on a platform that does escrow to begin with.

•••
Sorry I didnt directly answer your question earlier. I only gave a reply to the bolded part. When outbounding, make sure you list your domain and set your nameservers to either Dan or Epik with your buy it now price. Send the link to your buyer and just inform him Dan or Epik will handle all transactions. That's the best way to go.

•••
I lately faced a couple of issues where I suspect one of the reasons to be, asking the buyer to pay first.

While the deals were mostly $175, $199 and so on (outbound), I think if asking the buyer to pay first is the reason they are backing out, thinking if this could be a scam (even after sharing my contact number, LinkedIn id in the signature), then there might be a solution to this that someone may have figured out already. Or is there?

I mean Escrow is out of choice. PayPal has the refund policy given the scenario, in case the domain name investor does not end up transferring the domain name to the buyer's account.

But is there some kind of policy for domain name investors, such that, if they transfer the domain first (to make the buyer comfortable about the payment), and if the buyer defaults, can the domain transfer be reversed?

If yes, please share the same with me or any experience that you may have had, where you transferred the domain name to the buyer's account first, but they did not end up sending the payment to your account. Was it your loss or could you do something about it?

If no, how do we do this for small transactions? I saw a couple of buyers recently left after asking how do we do this? To which I generally reply, transfer the amount to my account and I will transfer the domain.
A couple of them left!

Maybe, I am biased in some way or the other here, and maybe, deal always falls out this way. But there has got to be some way.

Why didn't you have the domain names at marketplaces? I have sold domains in those ranges and I transfer first before receiving the money... never been scammed!

•••
Whenever a customer ask you how to proceed always give them 2 options, how to get it from you and from a marketplace.

•••
On the one hand, you could provide a variety of trading channels, as push. On the other hand, buyers don't have to buy because they are not very satisfied with the domain.
Generally speaking, we need find the best domain name to sale.

•••
Dan.com, imported lead or just raise your price a little bit to account for their 9% fees. Safest for both parties, nice landers, easy setup.
Only 5% for imported leads

•••
Dan and Sedo are not suitable for outbound of the US buyers...
Very often these buyers prefer AMEX as payment method which is not accepted there.

Use Epik marketplace/landers OR just their escrow...

Last edited:
•••
I’ve transferred first many times. This was for outbound sales and domains were hand registered do minimal loss if things fell through. Never had trouble yet. All payment was PayPal. US and European buyers.

•••
why don't you simply give him the domain upfront
and let him pay via paypal

all you lose is a handreg domain fee
and a little ego

•••
Why is 'Escrow is out of choice'?

I believe that you can push domains between GD accounts - that may be an option for you.

•••
For small amount just trust the buyer, Tell them pay me only after you got the domain, that boost the buyer confidence. Mostly buyer pay you.

•••
I've pointed domains to the DNS of the buyers choice prior to payment in the past. This seemed to help assuage any fear that it was a scam.

Last edited:
•••
Who is suspecting who of scamming whom?

•••
A successful deal will happen if it is meant to be.

I have had deals went off due to different reasons but I dont think most deals fall off due to trust. I have had situation where I have offered to transfer domain to enduser first after weeks of twist and turns cum agreement but still ended up not paying

I have also seen other domainers successfully completed a transaction after end users called them a scam due to payment issues on Dan but they still ended up paying anyway, after changing nameservers to other marketplace.

In short, a serious buyer who sees value in what you are offering him
In outbound, you have to drive the sale, I believe, instead of thinking it as something that buyer sees value in. Which means, you are responsible if the deal goes bad, since you are creating the demand.

Noted! Will list and send them a link.

Use DAN or Epik or even Afternic. Your problem is not pay first. Its not being on a platform that does escrow to begin with.
Sure. There is a tradeoff there. Between price and the fee. So the buyer has to pay the extra fee, which might be a deal breaker.

Sorry I didnt directly answer your question earlier. I only gave a reply to the bolded part. When outbounding, make sure you list your domain and set your nameservers to either Dan or Epik with your buy it now price. Send the link to your buyer and just inform him Dan or Epik will handle all transactions. That's the best way to go.
Makes sense. Noted in my domaining diary!

•••
Why didn't you have the domain names at marketplaces? I have sold domains in those ranges and I transfer first before receiving the money... never been scammed!
I'll list it today on Afternic and Dan.
I’ve transferred first many times. This was for outbound sales and domains were hand registered do minimal loss if things fell through. Never had trouble yet. All payment was PayPal. US and European buyers.
But still, it was a potential $$$ for you. You did lose $$$.

why don't you simply give him the domain upfront
and let him pay via paypal

all you lose is a handreg domain fee
and a little ego
And time invested in buying that name and a potential name that almost sold for $$$?

For small amount just trust the buyer, Tell them pay me only after you got the domain, that boost the buyer confidence. Mostly buyer pay you.
Will try this nevertheless.

•••
I suppose you could send him via email an agreement that he will receive the domain upon receipt of the funds... make him reply "I agree" with his personal info. Or you might attach an actual contract instead that you both sign. At least then, if they try to cheat you, you have something backing you up. It probably helps them feel better about it too, knowing there is a contract in place.

Last edited:
•••
I suppose you could send him via email an agreement that he will receive the domain upon receipt of the funds... make him reply "I agree" with his personal info. Or you might attach an actual contract instead that you both sign. At least then, if they try to cheat you, you have something backing you up. It probably helps them feel better about it too, knowing there is a contract in place.
But the question ism who goes to the court for a $199 deal. The buyer knows this. A contract is of no use here, in that case.

•••
But the question ism who goes to the court for a $199 deal. The buyer knows this. A contract is of no use here, in that case.

why don't you simply trust people
not to fool you for a low-value deal?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back