IT.COM

discuss Build Brands Not Mini Sites

NameSilo
Watch

DN Playbook

Established Member
Impact
Years ago there was a trend to build domains into mini sites. Mini sites are basically small websites with 5 to 10 pages of content. The idea was to create these sites and put up ads and affiliate links to generate revenue.

Read more on why you should focus on building brands, rather than mini sites, and what is involved.

https://www.dnplaybook.com/build-brands-not-mini-sites/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can't legally sell a social media account as isn't yours to sell so although nice to have matching handles but only thing your seling is a domain.

•••
@lock
Legality is one thing but Reality is another
everyday social media accounts are being sold for big money ^^ (special handles and what not)

•••
If Kim Kardashian put account up for sale Mark Zuckerberg will need his cut.

•••
Sell a website / domain, its social media accounts should just be an add-on to avoid legal headaches.

•••
Can't legally sell a social media account as isn't yours to sell so although nice to have matching handles but only thing your seling is a domain.
There's a law that prevents the transfer of social media accounts when a company/website is sold to another party?

•••
There's a law that prevents the transfer of social media accounts when a company/website is sold to another party?
A contract all the fine print skipped past signing up.

Last edited:
•••
Do you mean Facebooks terms?

•••
I remember when people were doing mini sites and I think compared to just parked pages, they were more profitable at the time.

But if you are trying to sell a brand, having a wordpress site with a cool design and a few pages of unique content probably help sell the brand.

•••
Sell a website / domain, its social media accounts should just be an add-on to avoid legal headaches.

If you are registering social media accounts with the explicit purpose of selling them, I can see there being a problem.

If you are selling a brand then social media accounts would be added value. If they are active accounts then there is a case for the buyer to be able to acquire those accounts as part of the acquisition. Those accounts would not be sold but transferred to the new and rightful owner of the brand.

•••
You should never sell social media accounts. But when it comes to selling a brand or a business there are items that are not directly attached to the business or brand. Such as posters, advertising material, business cards, letterhead, etc. Why would I hang on those items if I sold the business? No longer has any value to me. Social media accounts fall into the same category. I no longer have use for it so it should go to the new owner. What are your thoughts? This appears to be a very gray area.

•••
Brand selling is my business motto when it comes to investing and selling domain names. It just works better. We want to see more than just a name.
I never wanted to deal with the legal headache of selling something that doesn't belong to me, although it's being done every day. I still didn't want that problem. So all of my domain names/startups come with the social account as part of the plan. It's more like a transfer less like a sell of

•••
I can remember the old mini site days.. There were some business that did well doing nothing but creating mini sites for people, and some individuals who did well running mini sites instead of PPC parking. Those days are definitely gone, but the idea of building bigger things now (such as a brand) is probably the way it should've been done from the beginning anyways..

•••
I can remember the old mini site days.. There were some business that did well doing nothing but creating mini sites for people, and some individuals who did well running mini sites instead of PPC parking. Those days are definitely gone, but the idea of building bigger things now (such as a brand) is probably the way it should've been done from the beginning anyways..

You've hit the nail on the head. Imagine all the money and work gone into mini sites then completely erased by Google's algorithm updates, and compare that to building a few brands that you could manage according to your circumstances. In the former scenario all your investment is lost, in the latter your investment can continue to grow. Mini sites generally had poor quality content. Which in of itself made them essentially disappear in the SERPs.

•••
I still dont understand the advice of 'developing small sites'.

That doesnt work anymore (as far as I know).

I have one developed site and it takes so much time to write comprehensive articles, create Pinterest pins, network with other site owners in my niche for backlinks.

Not to mention all the admin time that Wordpress requires: updates, plugins, updating plugins, SEO.

How is it possible to have more than one site anymore? Lol...

•••
I still dont understand the advice of 'developing small sites'.

That doesnt work anymore (as far as I know).

I have one developed site and it takes so much time to write comprehensive articles, create Pinterest pins, network with other site owners in my niche for backlinks.

Not to mention all the admin time that Wordpress requires: updates, plugins, updating plugins, SEO.

How is it possible to have more than one site anymore? Lol...

You can manage a few larger sites but having hundreds of mini sites doesn't work anymore. They won't get approved for AS or ranked. There needs to be proactive engagement these days. Quality content updates and social media.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back