NameSilo

.tv Brett Moffitt has passed away.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Brett Moffitt (idevelop.tv) passed away from cancer last week. He battled this hideous disease for over 7 years.
On searching his computer we found that his account here was one of his favorites.
We are not sure what to do with the domain names my Dad owned and would appreciate any advice on if they have any value / how to sell them. Any other information that might help us to understand the process of listing them for sale would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance, Isabella (daughter)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Our Sincere Condolences to you and the Family, looking at his previous post he looked to be a great guy. A lot of members here can most certainly offer help.

•••
•••
Sad news. Sorry for your loss!

As for the domains: the best bet is to list here for sale if you're liquidating. At least you'll get fair value from the reseller market. Otherwise you play the auction game but that could get tricky if you don't know what you're doing.

•••
My Condolences. Brett was a nice person, we used to have some conversations some time ago and made some deals between us.

As for the domains. I guess its better to keep the best ones (not to sell them on the forum in a rush).
Here at Namepros you can get the valuation if you will post it there. I think guys here, who are professionals, can give you a good advice what to keep and what try to sell quickly.

•••
Sorry to hear the news. I have a couple of friends who went through breast cancer treatment and it is a challenging experience for family and friends.

Actually I don't believe selling your domains on this forum will be the best means of yielding top dollar from the .TV portfolio. I would suggest contacting a broker who works with .TV domains (some focus exclusively on .COM) who might be willing to proactively market them to end users with video-oriented sites. Alternatively, the domains might could be auctioned through Namejet, SEDO or Godaddy if they are registered there. Some .TV holdings might not be worth the effort to auction off. You could solicit feedback from the forum as to which domains would be the best to auction off or hold long-term. However, with an estate, the desire might be to liquidate all assets even though doing so quickly might not yield the optimum sales price.

However, you will need to quickly identify where his portfolio was registered, obtain passwords and make sure the estate pays domain renewals until the domains are sold. Otherwise, his years of work acquiring the portfolio could be quickly lost as expired domains become available to others within 60 days after expiration.

Regards/condolences

Leonard

•••
To the OP:

idevelop.tv is currently not registered. Your call to register it and others here should leave it be.

•••
Sorry for your loss.

I suggest the best course of action initially would be to track down where your father's domains are registered. Many people have domains registered at various companies (registrars), so you may need to look back through emails for order receipts, etc. Once you figure out the password(s) and gain access to the account(s), create a list of all domain names currently owned (best to also include expiration dates). This will likely be a very tedious job, but it's crucial to see exactly where you stand with upcoming renewals, etc.

I expect only a portion of the domains will be worth renewing/selling at this point, and you'll need some help deciding which ones to focus on, and which to let go. Once you've made a list of all the domains, I'd recommend posting it here, and I'm sure some Namepros users will be happy to sort through it for the gems that should be renewed and/or can be sold.

•••
I too am sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I think it would be wise to find out what domains were owned by your father and then to get access to those accounts and not let the domains expire without getting an idea of what they are worth and how they are being used. For example as an email address or website.
GoDaddy has processes in place to help with account access if there is a death. If I can be of help just let me know.

•••
Hi, Sorry for your loss..

Domain names have to be renewed yearly so get access to your fathers domain registrar accounts (Godaddy etc) and make sure a premium name don't slip away. If you are not sure if a name is worth renewing you can get a free appraisal/advice here on namepros.

•••
Rip,
Sorry for your loss.

•••
So sorry about your the loss of your dad. When I got diagnosed with Cancer in 2011, your dad reached out to me and really was supportive, and I really appreciate that. I knew his battle, but I thought it was under control, and I didn't know it took a turn for the worse. He was a great guy, never met him in person, but I wish I did. You can be proud of him like he was of you. RIP to your dad!

Regarding what to do with your dad's domain names, people already gave you great input. But you check in here anytime, for help, suggestion, we have a good group of people who will make sure your are steered the right direction. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and the family.

•••
•••
So sorry for your loss. Brett was a quality guy here.

Frank

•••
Condolences on the passing of your Father. As far as domain names go you first want to identify where they are registered, check for when they expire, it will cost you something to renew and if they are .tv domains that can be a little more expensive, feel free to pm me and I will help you with a plan on what you want to do whether it be keep, sell, get listed on a sales site etc... Take your time.

All the best.

•••
Condolences for you and the family.

•••
•••
Brett Moffitt (idevelop.tv) passed away from cancer last week. He battled this hideous disease for over 7 years.
On searching his computer we found that his account here was one of his favorites.
We are not sure what to do with the domain names my Dad owned and would appreciate any advice on if they have any value / how to sell them. Any other information that might help us to understand the process of listing them for sale would be appreciated.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I would follow this advice from @-T-

"I expect only a portion of the domains will be worth renewing/selling at this point, and you'll need some help deciding which ones to focus on, and which to let go. Once you've made a list of all the domains, I'd recommend posting it here, and I'm sure some Namepros users will be happy to sort through it for the gems that should be renewed and/or can be sold."

There are many decent people on this forum that can give you some guidance.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

•••
•••

I would be willing to help for free. Let me know if you need something.

And I'm sorry for your loss.

•••
I'm very sad to hear this, really.
R.I.P.
Regarding domains I think you should wait and not try to sell them asap. Just look if there is something expiring soon to renew. You can also IMHO ask in this section of the forum and we'll all be happy to help you.

•••
Isabella

I am so very sorry to hear this dreadful news. It has really shook me. I new he had been ill, but I figured he was in remission and on the way to full recovery.

Australia (and Thailand) has lost a great guy.

Please accept my deepest condolences to you and your mum.

I had a fair few conversations with your dad in the past and we even did a few deals. I helped him get Phuket .tv and picked up Brett .tv for him way back in 2010.

I even sold him one name he really wanted, bought it back from him later, sold it him again back, then bought it again.

He was a straight-up guy and I liked dealing with him and hearing about his property deals in Thailand.

I think Brett may have got rid of much of his portfolio before he died. I bought a couple of names off him last year and understood he was trying to get out of domains and concentrate on real estate.

My advice to you now is very practical:

1. If you have access to his files, find out what names he owns. He may have used companies like GoDaddy, Name.com, Dynadot.com, DomainMonster, etc.

2. Once you have a list of the names please post them here on Namepros - in the TV section. There are enough of us here to give you impartial advice as to whether you should keep some of the names, try and sell some, or even get rid of some.

I know this must be a very difficult time for you and wish you all the very best.

•••
Being a cancer survivor (and currently still battling NF2), I truly offer my sympathies.

Regarding your domains, feel free to shoot me a private message. I can let you know if there is any value in them.

•••
Thank you all very much for these lovely words and advice. We appreciate all of the messages and help offered. Although he was first diagnosed with esophageal cancer, he had gone into remission and we all thought he had beaten it.. It was all very sudden really and he died of brain cancer, which none of us knew he had.

We are lucky that he was a very organized person and had all of his account details filed and ready for us to find. He must of known, but we had no idea.

I will follow the advise given and once we have gone through his accounts, we will form a list and then ask advice once more.

Thank you very much.

•••
Our Sincere Condoleance for you and his beloved ones.
May His Soul Rest in Peace.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back