IT.COM

BREAKING: Cloud.com Being Bought For $200 Million – $250 Million

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
According to TechCrunch, Citrix Systems is buying Cloud.com for between $200 million and $250 million.

TechCrunch says the deal should be announced within the hour.
Read more...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
That's just crazy! Hard to believe a domain could fetch so much money.

•••
It appears cloud.com is a developed website and has had at least $20 million in funding.

•••
It a lot more then just the name...

“Our focus is very much around enabling organizations to build cloud-scale architectures and infrastructure the way that the largest clouds in the world have been built,” Dholakia said.

Cloud.com customers include companies such as Nokia, GoDaddy and Zynga, which offers the popular Farmville series of online games. “We are proven at scale. Some of these customers are well into thousands of servers deployed in their clouds,” Ulander said.

•••
I agree they are buying more than a name. But, still, the question needs to be asked: What does this mean to the domaining industry?

•••
•••
•••
I agree they are buying more than a name. But, still, the question needs to be asked: What does this mean to the domaining industry?

Blogs, Forum Threads, Increased Posting of Wow I have CloudCrap.com! And .....

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

It appears cloud.com is a developed website and has had at least $20 million in funding.

One would hope that a multimillion dollar funded IT company on the bleeding(tested) edge with some of the most reputable names in the business on their benches would have had the where-with-all to create a website :)

•••
This is a business sale not a domain sale. Hardly even worth mentioning here.

•••

This is a business sale involving a superpremium domain and what is built around it, so the news fits perfectly NamePros.

•••
Which is why this thread is still here :)

This is a business sale involving a superpremium domain and what is built around it, so the news fits perfectly NamePros.

•••
According to Webarchive one of the previous owners of this name is Brad Fitzpatrick, the creator of Livejournal.com
Interesting :)

•••

Unlike this insightful comment which is definitely worth mentioning here. :hehe:

just friendly joshing

•••
Great domain of course. But I still don't find cloud storage to be that promising at all. My flash drive offers the same benefits and all I need is a usb port to access my files on any computer around the world. IMO all the promises of storing your files in a CLOUD is overrated.

•••
Great domain of course. But I still don't find cloud storage to be that promising at all. My flash drive offers the same benefits and all I need is a usb port to access my files on any computer around the world. IMO all the promises of storing your files in a CLOUD is overrated.

Comparing iCloud.com to Cloud.com as competitors like some are doing is laughable. There are a lot of innovations in the storage space though. One of the bleeding edge technologies is replacing large scale relational databases with huge in-memory-databases - allegedly blazing fast, highly recoverable and will change data processing.

What CloudStack offers is far greater than storage. They are one of the few companies that are actually venturing into a true "cloud" platform vs just pure marketing. They are managing shared virtualization, and on-demand and a utility based platform that targets public, private and hybrid cloud platforms. (I think, I can't say I've done too much investigation)

I am skeptical about some of the claims I see, however. I've worked very talented individuals who struggled for months with just how to correctly accumulate and attribute CPU usage to a client in a utility computing environment (we're talking OS / Hardware level guys) and with Virtualization on top it's almost impossible to determine usage with a great deal of accuracy, imho) and this is just a SMALL part of what they are offering, almost as a sidebar.

It's almost ironic that I come here and bitch about the lack of "real cloud" offerings and then in the news comes one of the few technology groups actually truly in that space!

Move over Apple - you've just been BUMPED!

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

I prefer the idea of having Linux (or something) and all my files on USB and being able to plug into terminals.. so I don't disagree :) Need better hardware abstraction still for peripherals :)

Pretty sure that's what h4x0r5 do as well. Pop it in, set something loose, walk away.. no one has a clue who did it and the trail of evidence is about zero.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back