Dynadot

discuss BrandXXXX or XXXXBrands?

NameSilo
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
After 18 months of thinking I was domainer I finally learned I'm a brand guy. Here's a question? If a brand marketplace uses a three word name for it's domain, which of these names works best?

BrandCanDo or
CanDoBrands

Is it a good idea to have both, and point one to the other? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If "Branding" is going to be your focus, then the brand itself should follow the same power patterns as other creative brands. One of those patterns is the grammatical influence.

For example:
"CanDoBrands" - It's what we do!
Vs.
"BrandCanDo" - What a brand can do?, Do what?, No sure?

Explinations:
CanDoBrands is more assertive, absolute, and authoritative. It tells you what they do and the tag-line emphasises they specialize in it. Psychologically creating authority in it.

BrandCanDo is more unsure, insecure, and confusing. It tells you that they "Think" they can do brands (Psychologically). Who wants to put their business in the hands of someone that "Thinks" they can do it vs. someone specializing in it with passion?

Note: The above is only if the exact word combinations would be the brand. If not and those were just examples, only some (Not all) the above applies, because each brand is unique in it's own way and requires creative direction in different niche areas to resonate with their specific target consumers.

There are lots of other branding patterns that should be researched and considered as well. The grammatical and psychological influences are only a fraction of a creative branding project.

That's just my opinion though.

Everyone's different.

•••
After 18 months of thinking I was domainer I finally learned I'm a brand guy. Here's a question? If a brand marketplace uses a three word name for it's domain, which of these names works best?

BrandCanDo or
CanDoBrands

Is it a good idea to have both, and point one to the other? Thanks for any help.
BrandCanDo sounds like a name you come up with when english is a third language. It doesn't makes sense.

•••
If "Branding" is going to be your focus, then the brand itself should follow the same power patterns as other creative brands. One of those patterns is the grammatical influence.

For example:
Vs.

Explinations:
CanDoBrands is more assertive, absolute, and authoritative. It tells you what they do and the tag-line emphasises they specialize in it. Psychologically creating authority in it.

BrandCanDo is more unsure, insecure, and confusing. It tells you that they "Think" they can do brands (Psychologically). Who wants to put their business in the hands of someone that "Thinks" they can do it vs. someone specializing in it with passion?

Note: The above is only if the exact word combinations would be the brand. If not and those were just examples, only some (Not all) the above applies, because each brand is unique in it's own way and requires creative direction in different niche areas to resonate with their specific target consumers.

There are lots of other branding patterns that should be researched and considered as well. The grammatical and psychological influences are only a fraction of a creative branding project.

Everyone's different.
Just a quick note to acknowledge and say thanks for your comments. I especially like - "It's what we do!" to compliment CanDoBrands. Enjoy your weekend!

•••
BrandCanDo sounds like a name you come up with when english is a third language. It doesn't makes sense.
Makes sense...funny, CanDoBrands was never previously reg'd, and BrandCanDo was reg'd for three years from 2013-2016. We may have gone to the same school:xf.rolleyes: Thanks again.

•••
While not totally thrilled with either, I tend to prefer CanDoBrands with the what we do explanation that @Eric Lyon gave. I would not do both with one pointing to the other - decide which more authentically describes what you do.

I think as domainers we sometimes want to jump to the domain name, but from what I have read the brand professionals have companies first dome up with statements about what it is that the company does, what are its core traits, etc., and only after that consider the company and domain name.

Bob

•••
•••
While not totally thrilled with either, I tend to prefer CanDoBrands with the what we do explanation that @Eric Lyon gave. I would not do both with one pointing to the other - decide which more authentically describes what you do.

I think as domainers we sometimes want to jump to the domain name, but from what I have read the brand professionals have companies first dome up with statements about what it is that the company does, what are its core traits, etc., and only after that consider the company and domain name.

Bob
Thanks for chiming charming in Bob. I think I've finally determined who I am and what I want to be when I grow up. It was my guy/rep at Go Daddy who pegged me as more of a brand guy than a domainer. I was really getting tired of having to explain to the "average" person what a "domainer" is, so I just decided I'm a "BrandNameGenie", and as such I just formed the "BrandNameGroup" Now I can tell everyone that I'm in the brand name business and they understand. I think you saw at NamesCon my personalized Virginia license plates "Name Guy", and now when people ask me what "Name Guy" stands for, I have an explanation. Now it's time to go and make some money, however the FUN! I've had here has been worth every penny:xf.wink:

•••
Candobrands is better
Thanks, it's mostly because I've had a "can do attitude" all my life that I was surprised this was available to hand reg. Furthermore there a lot of domains I'm eyeing that compliment CanDoBrands like "can do attitude" and "can do domains" for starters. I own a compliment of about a dozen "CanDo" brands/domains, and about to launch BrandFear(.)com and FearBrands(.)com. Sounds a little negative after "CanDo", but it fits the narrative:xf.wink:

•••

For example:
Vs.

Explinations:

Everyone's different.
Eric...i just thought I'd share what my rep at GD said about CanDoBrands;
"Wow Richard, I’m surprised that candobrands.com was publicly available? Kinda shocked, but I like cando way better than brandcan. I agree with all the commenters. Congrats!"

Here's another name I just reg'd; BrandKwik™, but was unable to reg KwikBrands:xf.frown: While you came up with a great tagline...."It's what we do!" for CanDoBrands. First, how do you think BrandKwik compares to CanDoBrands, and second how does BrandKwik compare to BrandBucket and BrandPa? Does BrandKwik even need a tagline? Thanks Eric

•••
The obvious but with the other there is still splash landing page or forwarding if your hell bent on both.

•••

For example:
Vs.

Explinations:

Everyone's different.
Eric, you were so good with the tag line, "It's what we do!" for CanDoBrands, could you take a shot at Napease™ (for a nap product idea)? The best I've come up with so far is; "The Ultimate Power Nap"
Thanks,

•••
Eric, you were so good with the tag line, "It's what we do!" for CanDoBrands, could you take a shot at Napease™ (for a nap product idea)? The best I've come up with so far is; "The Ultimate Power Nap"
Thanks,
Maybe something like:
  • Napease™ - Easy does it!
  • Napease™ - Sleep with ease
  • Napease™ - The easy way to sleep
  • Napease™ - A nap time solution
  • Napease™ - Sleepy Time Remedy
  • Napease™ - Taking it one snore at a time!

•••
Maybe something like:
  • Napease™ - Easy does it!
  • Napease™ - Sleep with ease
  • Napease™ - The easy way to sleep
  • Napease™ - A nap time solution
  • Napease™ - Sleepy Time Remedy
  • Napease™ - Taking it one snore at a time!
Thanks Eric...that's good stuff, what do you think of "Easy Snooze"?

•••
Thanks Eric...that's good stuff, what do you think of "Easy Snooze"?
A nap and a snooze are relatively the same, both representing a short time of sleep, rather than a deep lengthy one. The trick here is to make the tagline relate more to the consumers desires in sleep, which brings us to psychological trigger words for that niche like, deep, peaceful, comfortable, relaxing, revitalizing, etc..

Taking that into account, maybe snooze, is too negative on the psyche. While it does represent what the product does (Short nappy time), the brand itself already says it.

"Easy" is stimulating, but could we squeeze a double stimulation in for optimal impact or maybe a single-word of emphasis?

What about:
Napease™ - Invigorating!
Napease™ - Tranquility at it's best!
Napease™ - Peaceful Bliss!

I'm liking these better. :)

•••
Back