IT.COM

BrandBucket to launch BrandNewName.com - Crowd-sourcing platform

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Received an email before few minutes and it stated the following.
"
We're very excited to announce the upcoming launch of our new partner Brand New Name.

Brought to you by the people behind BrandBucket, Brand New Name is a crowdsourcing platform focused entirely on the initial branding needs of a new bootstrapped business: a startup name, tagline and logo.

By engaging a global creative community, Brand New Name can help the bootstrapped startups of today become the brands of tomorrow.

How Does It Work?
  1. Entrepreneurs ignite a contest outlining their logo design and/or name/tagline needs in a detailed brief.
  2. The community of creative logo designers and naming gurus suggest concepts in hopes to wow them.
  3. Entrepreneurs pick a winning concept and an award is paid to the winning creative.

An Exclusive Invitation
Brand New Name is launching soon, and they're looking for creative logo designers and naming gurus. Since they are promoting quality over quantity, all new applicants must pass a design test and portfolio review. However, active logo designers on BrandBucket can bypass those requirements and go straight to designing!

A creative within the Brand New Name platform can either be a logo designer, naming guru or both. As a logo designer you'll be able to join and participate in logo design contests with a cash prize of $150 per contest. That's a good chunk of change! "

Not sure if everyone got the invitation part as I am a designer there. This service is very similar to SquadHelp I think though it is not clear if creatives can list any names. I just signed up and I dont see any option at the control panel to do this. So I think, this service is basically intended to counter Squad Help and provide another alternative. I have plans to start something like this and even got a name, but BrandBucket beat me to it at the moment.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It costs $125 to do a naming contest and they pay the winner $100 so they make 25 bucks. Really??? You can't be serious that they think this is a profitable business model unless the only names that can be suggested are BrandBucket names then it makes total sense.

i also agree that Brand New Name is a HORRIBLE name. Maybe they need to use their own service. 😀

Last edited:
•••
Why people are willing to work their butt off coming up with an unregistered name that satisfies a cheap but picky client for $100 is beyond me. Branding companies charge huge bucks for this kind of “guidance”

As far as I am concerned, the whole idea cheapens this industry at whatever site it is implemented at and makes outsiders think all domains should be dirt cheap. Like a domain walmart.

To stand out from SH, the minimum price for the ideas of many should have been raised to a less embarrassing $250 to $500.

BB would have done better by improving their super long review times, hiring more staff, selling more domains etc. This will end up with issues just like SH has issues with their contests.

•••
that is a tooo long brand name,why not use a short name like dan.com,business will grow fast

•••
SquadHelp has been around doing this a pretty long time. They have 48 open naming contests as of right now. The first contest ends in a few hours and the last one in a week. If they only made $25 per contest then that's only $1,200 over the course of one week. How in the world can that be profitable after expenses?

•••
That is not an issue here. They did not drop the hyphen, they separated the word into two in their logo. They should have gone with merging everything into brandnewname, just like it is facebook, not Face Book. Or better yet, they should have shelled out some money for brandnew/com that seem to be available for purchase.
brandnewname all as one word looks ridiculous. Not one branding agency would ever advise to that.

•••
I lost interest after the first three sentences.

•••
How is BrandNewName - too long? It is just 12 letters. Don't we all routinely buy and sell names of that length?

It is not too long, but it is not accurate either. The names that will be offered won't all be "brand new".

it’s 3 words, which makes it feel longer.

13, w/ 2 words better than 12 char 3 words imo

Last edited:
•••
I am not feeling it at all when i go to the site, we need to move forward with innovation for domainers, the concept actually takes me back in time when there was a website, can't remember the name, but people would list a niche and domainers would submit names, the name chosen by the customer netted a prize for the name submitter.

I get your point but I don't think this site was created for domainers. I think Margot sees all the money Squadhelp makes with contests and wants some of that and the opportunity to sell these new entrepreneurs BrandBucket names.

Domainers are a pawn on this chessboard, they are not the king or queen.

•••
it’s 3 words, which makes it feel longer.

13, w/ 2 words better than 12 char 3 words imo

Brand new, and per Merriam-Webster, it is to be spelled with dash, is actually one word "Brand-new", like "Top-notch".

So, they have 2-worder, but, sadly, in the logo, they have written "Brand" and "New" separately.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/brand-new

The reality is they, and many other sites like them, are domain sellers, not brand consultants. As, any branding agency would definitely pay attention to details like those even for clients and certainly wouldn't make that mistake for their own project.

•••
Why people are willing to work their butt off coming up with an unregistered name that satisfies a cheap but picky client for $100 is beyond me. Branding companies charge huge bucks for this kind of “guidance”

As far as I am concerned, the whole idea cheapens this industry at whatever site it is implemented at and makes outsiders think all domains should be dirt cheap. Like a domain walmart.

To stand out from SH, the minimum price for the ideas of many should have been raised to a less embarrassing $250 to $500.

BB would have done better by improving their super long review times, hiring more staff, selling more domains etc. This will end up with issues just like SH has issues with their contests.
I have lost many names on SH which where unregistered. I know I will not be suggesting any unregistered names to any place anymore. People just take the name and hide behind privacy and that is it.

•••
I don't understand, people can suggest unregistered domains but can only suggest registered names that are on BrandBucket? What stops the contest holder from getting lots of suggestions and then registering the best names under a different contact without ever paying up?

Last edited:
•••

Exactly it's what the Internet has become, Branding companies get paid huge money, now look I get it these are startups maybe 1 person shops, they can't go to a big branding company. But this whole let's get a bunch of people to go on this incredible scavenger hunt, finding names and social handles for $100 competing with others like it is the amazing race is a bit of a joke now.

•••
that is a tooo long brand name,why not use a short name like dan.com,business will grow fast

How is BrandNewName - too long? It is just 12 letters. Don't we all routinely buy and sell names of that length?

It is not too long, but it is not accurate either. The names that will be offered won't all be "brand new".

•••
SquadHelp all over again. Innovation is dead.

•••
They are trying to get some of the pie and they see an opportunity. It all depends on how they market and what other features they announce. Premium names will be there and they might source them from their own inventory. This 125 is just for names that can be hand registered. What I find interesting is the NDA they say it includes.

•••
I am not feeling it at all when i go to the site, we need to move forward with innovation for domainers, the concept actually takes me back in time when there was a website, can't remember the name, but people would list a niche and domainers would submit names, the name chosen by the customer netted a prize for the name submitter.

•••
I don't understand, people can suggest unregistered domains but can only suggest registered names that are on BrandBucket? What stops the contest holder from getting lots of suggestions and then registering the best names under a different contact without ever paying up?

Exactly you know what these sites should do, if an unregistered name that one of our participants gets registered and it's under privacy, you are paying something. #WeDonTBelieveInCoincidence

Now I believe they are saying there will always be a winner so the contest holder will definitely pay the $100 to someone.

There is no guarantee that you will earn any cash prize. Only the winner of each contest is awarded the prize. But we guarantee that each contest will have a winning entry and a chance for each creative to win.

Looks like payout is Payoneer only

•••
Exactly you know what these sites should do, if an unregistered name that one of our participants gets registered and it's under privacy, you are paying something. #WeDonTBelieveInCoincidence

Now I believe they are saying there will always be a winner so the contest holder will definitely pay the $100 to someone.

There is no guarantee that you will earn any cash prize. Only the winner of each contest is awarded the prize. But we guarantee that each contest will have a winning entry and a chance for each creative to win.

Looks like payout is Payoneer only

OK so the fact that there is always a winner is comforting to know but $100 to get great suggestions for 100 domains which I may go and register as well as getting a winning suggestion is just too cheap.

Here is a suggestion - the cost of the contest is $700. People suggest domains and someone from brandnewname shortlists a maximum of 20 names. The shortlisted names are sent to the contest holder. For being shortlisted, the 20 get paid $25 each for making it through to the next stage. The winner then gets an extra $100. BrandNewName are actually doing something valuable for once and they get the remaining $100 for their part. Still not a great formula though but better than theirs IMO.

Last edited:
•••
Its would be amazing when prize more than $ 500,

•••
•••
Not sure. I just did :xf.smile:

I feel you.
Always lose interest when a business promotes something starting with "We're excited..."
Similarly to you, I'm not sure why.. I just do :)

•••
How is BrandNewName - too long? It is just 12 letters.
It's not, but makes one feel they're talking like a ...'pro' (??), and then suggesting they should get and use a 6 figure name to be 'successful'. :rolleyes: I think Margot knows what she's doing by now.

•••
brandcater.com would have been a much better name. :xf.wink:

•••
Brand new, and per Merriam-Webster, it is to be spelled with dash, is actually one word "Brand-new", like "Top-notch".

So, they have 2-worder, but, sadly, in the logo, they have written "Brand" and "New" separately.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/brand-new

The reality is they, and many other sites like them, are domain sellers, not brand consultants. As, any branding agency would definitely pay attention to details like those even for clients and certainly wouldn't make that mistake for their own project.
A "real" branding agency would have dropped the hyphen since it's more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back