Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
a little light is always better than zero light

I can't agree here

this will most probably get you even more confused/ misguided

•••
•••
•••
I can't agree here

this will most probably get you even more confused/ misguided

Not really with a litlle light you can make your way out of the maze, I was making an over arching statement, not just focused on sales data, I never depended on anyone else's research to make any decisions.

But to keep it on the domaining topic, no sales reported is darkness, 30% is some light and that should never confuse anyone. It is a data point to give a little insight. The subjectivity of brandable domains is unlike any other niche. The majority of people I have spoken to about brandables all had the same line, Their names were great everybody else's names sucked.

I used to talk to Zane Gocha and he thought BB names were inferior to Namerific and while I never asked her I would be willing to bet Margot would say the opposite.

•••
decision based on incorrect / incomplete data are as good as decision made out of gut feeling

you may be lucky or not

in the end there is only trial and error

which is absolutely good enough for me personnaly

•••
removing, because I think I misread/misunderstood the original statement. :)

•••
Look, I am not into broad academic discussion with "BB experience" thread.

I am discussing practical and tangible conclusions. For myself, personally, I have decided that no-kw-brands are not going to be more than 1-5% of my total .com portfolio based on the above, until I see data, corrupt or not, telling me otherwise.

And, accordingly, my thanks go to @hookbox and @Dnbolt for spotting out something that could save me a lot of money over the time.

See my above edited post, I misread your original post - sorry.

In any case, to speak to that, the problem is that there is such a large range in what we mean by "kw" and "non-kw". A lot of non-kw domains accepted on BB, I wouldn't handreg. On the other hand, I personally sold one for $5k on BB last year. There is a lot more to whether it is KW-based or not that goes into that discussion. :)

•••
If someone here would say "data is corrupt, because I have sold personally few non-kw-brands in last month or two" that would also tip the scales towards "it is corrupt" camp...

I have sold personally few non-kw-brands in last month or two

•••
I have sold personally few non-kw-brands in last month or two

Personally, they sell better for me, but I am also pickier than most on the ones I select, so that could be part of it. :)

•••
•••
on BB? ) We are still on whether 80 BB sales are missing any non-kw-brands )

yes on BB

I am not completely out of my brain .. just a little

•••
•••
•••
Also @svede there are some many things that you said that makes me feel worried about where you got your knowledge from regarding Data Analysis in General. Data Analyst and Software Engineers are two different vast fields. With right knowledge anything can be solved. I have outsourced many private task of mine (not domain related) to some developers who claims it practically impossible to achieve and another developer suggesting that it's possible. If you fail to create a working algorithm that doesn't mean others can't create one. This is why we have researchers who's job is dedicated to make the impossible possible.

if you can think it - it can be done
sooner or later ;)
by you or somebody else !

•••
@svede please prove your case by presenting some domains that did not sell which is currently on the list? Around January 2016 when it was first published the data was not 99% correct but now that has been cleaned and 6-8 months into this I am pretty confident that accuracy are extremely high. I would be happy if you or anyone can prove me wrong. If you spot great amount of domains which did not sale I would be more than happy to shut it down.
I've already said, I will not share it because I haven't agreed with all of your practices handling the data and in regards to other domainers. I don't need to prove anything to you.

Also @svede there are some many things that you said that makes me feel worried about where you got your knowledge from regarding Data Analysis in General. Data Analyst and Software Engineers are two different vast fields. With right knowledge anything can be solved. I have outsourced many private task of mine (not domain related) to some developers who claims it practically impossible to achieve and another developer suggesting that it's possible. If you fail to create a working algorithm that doesn't mean others can't create one. This is why we have researchers who's job is dedicated to make the impossible possible.

Its easy to question another's experience, but again, I have nothing to prove to you if you don't take me at my word. I've been doing software engineering for over 15 years. My job has been MUCH deeper than that of a data analyst (they need to understand less than I do for what I am doing) and I am currently working in a company doing big data and data warehousing. But that means nothing if you don't want to believe me.

And yes, sometimes one developer can do something another can't. But that isn't what we are talking about. We are talking about a methodology/practice that is KNOWN within the software engineering fields to have major limitations. It has its uses, but not for reliant trustworthy data such as is being done. If you think otherwise, I likewise question any credentials you have. But then we are where we started - so lets drop this purposeless line of pursuit and stick to the topic.

•••
I spent about an hour going through each and every domain listed as sold in May from DNbolt's website. This is real data from 82 real sales from BrandBucket.

They are either a live website, a brand bucket page with no buy it now button, forwarded to another website or a dead page.

Normally with a live name you will have a Save, Inquiry, and Buy it Now button. Previously up to a few months ago when the name would sell the Buy it Now button would be removed and a Sold tag would be added to the name. Now they only remove the Buy it Now button and put no Sold tag. Below is all 82 sales from May with exactly how each name resolves. 78 of the 82 names or 95% are verified as sold. Still working on the other 4 that are not verified yet.

Each name is listed as keyword based, partial keyword based or MUP. 82 names listed as sold and only one, Xumio, is the only true Made Up Pronounceable/Invented name. All others are either partial keyword or keyword based.

kw = keyword based
pkw = partial keyword based---(keyword in parenthesis)
MUP = Made Up Pronounceable/Invented

real/moment--forwards to website. sold. kw

up/gig--website. sold. kw

bit/peer--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

course/cube--forwards to website. sold. kw

raz/elle--forwards to razelle.io sold. pkw (gazelle)

think/wallet--website. sold. kw

al/ap--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw (lap)

vac/ayo--website. sold. pkw (vacay, vacation)

neat/zo--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw (neat)

fit/alytics--website. sold. kw (fit-analytics)

rev/grow--forwarded to website. sold. kw

story/rocket --website landing page. sold. kw

du/ura--website landing page. sold. pkw (durable)

se/lio--website. sold. pkw (sell, select)

bio/fense--website landing page. sold. kw

get/setup--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

omni/cus--website. sold. kw

tech/ona--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

num/eto--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. pkw (number, numeric, numeral)

ban/nio--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

idea/brush--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

doc/uta--website. sold. pkw (document)

zoo/hu--website. sold. kw

merch/surf--website. sold. pkw (merchandise) kw (surf)

tag/lr--website. sold. kw

credit/able--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

navva--website. sold. pkw (navigation, navigate)

trav/oda--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. pkw (travel)

von/zer--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw (von-German)

sunnyy--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

rhii/no--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

ya/rd.ly--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

tr/im.ly--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

velo/va--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. pkw (velo, velocity)

nutr/ada--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw (means Nutrition in Esperanto)

orbit/en--website. sold. kw

sign/ava--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

drop/secure--website. sold. kw

click/scale--website. sold. kw

co/hatch--website. sold. kw

smart/ova--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

active/ga--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw (active, activate)

stat/ful--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

deco/vo--website. sold. pkw (deco, decor, decorate, decode)

esti/lon--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. pkw (estimate, establish)

piano/te--website. sold. kw

q/onscious--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. pkw (conscious)

home/zy--website. sold. kw

voila/box--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

junior/y--forwards to shopify page. sold. kw

thorn/stone--website. sold. kw

farmer/ly--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

xu/mio--website. sold. MUP

sel/eo--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. pkw (sell, select)

a/lov--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. pkw (aloe, aloft, aloha, love)

crown/luxe--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

health/lings--website. sold. kw

score/ful--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

food/ivo--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

x/avage--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. pkw (savage)

elev/ven--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

These names below went to dead pages so were checked with Google by searching insertyournamehere. com brandbucket and following link to brand bucket page.

enrol/o--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. pkw (enroll, enroll, enrollment)

crypti/q--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. pkw (cryptic)

credit/ium--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

rebark/able--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

spy/cloud--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

trip/let--website. sold. kw

brand/nova--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

x/imble--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. pkw (nimble)

fore/brain--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

conv/oo--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. pkw (convert, conversation)

zen/ops--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

earn/labs--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

meeting/ly--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

store/match--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

herb/sy--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

self/craft--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

tech/better--brand bucket page. no buy it now button. sold. kw

These 4 below are not verified yet

mind/hack--forwarded to brand bucket. 410 page not found.

con/gial--forwarded to brand bucket. 404 page not found.

pay/tia doesn't resolve

right/ful--Godaddy parked page

•••
Why do you think data is incorrect? Do you have the correct data to claim someone's is incorrect? What is incorrect about it? Prices or sold names are not sold or sold ones are not included? If he has about 80 names there and BB claims to sell around 80, it can't be much inaccurate, can it?

If the data is "incorrect" by 20% or so, it won't affect the conclusion that you are protesting. Namely, that only 1 completely made-up no-keyword brand has sold out of 80. Heck, even if he has got half of the names wrong, and it is 1 out of 40, it won't change the conclusion much, will it?

Namely, the conclusion is this:

1. Out of 30,000 names on BB around 25%-30% are not based on any keyword.
2. The chance of keywordless brand being among sold ones is 1.25%-2.5%.
3. Therefore, the chance to sell keywordless brand on BrandBucket is 12-24 times less than other category names (keyword+suffix, keyword+keyword etc.)
The problem with the arguments put forward by the negative posters is they don't know the difference between a keyword brandable and an invented brandable.

If we pick a few names from DNBolt's list the following are considered invented brandables.

cohatch
activega
barkz
bannio
etc....

The following are keyword brandables:
bitpeer
botdesk
cashboom
clickscale
etc...

In order for a name to be a keyword brandable both the first word and the second word (when combined) must be dictionary words - otherwise they are considered madeup words/invented words.

Hence, if a dictionary word ends with a suffix such as "BrandVue" it is defined as an invented word. However if the word was "BrandBucket" then it would be defined as a keyword brandable.

So it is untrue to suggest that DNBolt's list contains only 1 invented word.

•••
The problem with the arguments put forward by the negative posters is they don't know the difference between a keyword brandable and an invented brandable.

If we pick a few names from DNBolt's list the following are considered invented brandables.

cohatch
activega
barkz
bannio
etc....

The following are keyword brandables:
bitpeer
botdesk
cashboom
clickscale
etc...

In order for a name to be a keyword brandable both the first word and the second word (when combined) must be dictionary words - otherwise they are considered madeup words/invented words.

Hence, if a dictionary word ends with a suffix such as "BrandVue" it is defined as an invented word. However if the word was "BrandBucket" then it would be defined as a keyword brandable.

So it is untrue to suggest that DNBolt's list contains only 1 invented word.
Not true. Here are a few directly from BrandBucket in the keyword category. Payopa, Hubova, Spotina, Listoa, Deeru, etc.......do you want a few thousand more?

•••
These are modified keyword names

cohatch
active
ga
barkz
bannio

BrandBucket actually breaks down keyword categories.

keyword1.gif

Last edited:
•••
Out of the supposedly 80 sales last month at BB

I always question marketplaces that do not share their sales BUT they are so keen to ask for exclusivity, fees pre and post sale, contracts...
I also wonder how many of these 80 domains belonged to BB owners, directors etc, how many were a result of a negotiation with the buyer who was ( maybe ) offered a different / more suitable name than what he originally chose. Brokers do it all the time ( see DNS )

continue to take your 10 bucks.

And some hundred dollars for logos that are worse than mediocre and that you can have for 5$ on Fiverr.
BB either have the wealthiest designers on the internet or they put that money ( or part of it ) in their pocket turning their commissions to close to 50% in some cases if the above is true.

they don't know the difference between a keyword brandable and an invented brandable.

:xf.eek:

I also wonder if the contract you are asked to enter is 100% legal. Fine with the listing fee, fine with the exclusivity ( even if I disagree with it ), fine with the outrageous commissions but the 30 days thing? No thanks

Last edited:
•••
You are both wrong once again.

According to BB they are very specific about keyword domains and non-keyword domains.

Below is how they define them.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For domain sellers and brand inventors
Buyers Sellers Designers

Selling a Business Name on BrandBucket

What kind of names do you accept for listing?

To accept or not accept a domain is often a tough decision. Many very good and "brandable" names are submitted, but because we try to keep the marketplace small enough for a single buyer to browse in an evening, we've created some basic guidelines:

We are looking primarily for non-keyword, short and catchy names. For these types of names, we mainly focus on:

• If the name is based on a dictionary word -- and sounds the same as that word -- it should have no more than one spelling variation or "error" away from the original word. This makes it easy to explain to customers. For example: Digg is "dig with two g's".
  • Pronunciation should be straightforward.
  • Spelling should be as expected.
    • Ask your friends to spell your name -- can they get it in one or two tries?
    • Is the same vowel being used for two different sounds, or is the same sound represented by two different vowels (for example, the 'ee' sound can be an 'e' or an 'i')?
  • If the name has a keyword, or root word, it should apply to a popular industry, or be broad enough to apply to several different business types.
  • There should be no more than three syllables.
In some cases we do approve domains with keywords, but that follow specific criteria. For two-word (compound) names. we're looking for:

• Both words should be spelled fully and correctly.
  • The words should have something in common, or a linguistic connection (same first letter, same vowel sound, etc.). They can also be a common phrase, or play on a common phrase.
  • One (or both) of the words should relate to either a popular industry, or be broad enough to apply to many different types of industries.

•••
No it is you who is wrong, you can see by the graph below that one of the names you mentioned ActiveGa.com would be a keyword plus a suffix which made up 17% of sales. Not my opinion just the ability to read.

If the name has a keyword, or root word, (THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR THIS LANGUAGE IF THEY WERE NOT TALKING ABOUT MODIFIED KEYWORDS) it should apply to a popular industry, or be broad enough to apply to several different business types. Like the root word Active does in the example you laid out as a made up word.

keyword1.gif

•••
No it is you who is wrong, you can see by the graph below that one of the names you mentioned ActiveGa.com would be a keyword plus a suffix which made up 17% of sales. Not my opinion just the ability to read.

If the name has a keyword, or root word, (THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR THIS LANGUAGE IF THEY WERE NOT TALKING ABOUT MODIFIED KEYWORDS) it should apply to a popular industry, or be broad enough to apply to several different business types. Like the root word Active does in the example you laid out as a made up word.

keyword1.gif
For two-word (compound) names. we're looking for:

•••
For two-word (compound) names. we're looking for:

Right that is one naming convention but all names that don't have two words but are more than the root word are not invented. BrandBucket puts them as Keyword + Suffix. or Other 34 % of keyword names sold like that in April.

•••
I think I see the issue here.

M Krell, in his webinar, pretty much indicated what @equity78 said, that Keyword + Suffix names are in a different category from truly invented names, i.e Healthza & Zocdoc aren't in the same category.

However, earlier in this thread, and also in his webinar, Mkrell generalized to say that each month there is a 60:40 split between keyword names & made up names. (when he saids this, he is categorizing the keywords+suffix with the other invented names, )

So, on the one hand, he puts keyword + suffix in a different category from invented words, yet on the other hand he doesn't.

That's the confusion I think. Hopefully I didn't confuse it more. lol.

Anyway, the point is that when @hookbox saids only 1 made-up word was sold, he is referring to a truly invented name, not a keyword + suffix. I guess I'll be staying away from truly invented names then. lol. Thanks

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back