Dynadot

Boycott Icann's New Domain Name Extension Release, Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The end of domaining ?

Biggest Expansion to Internet in Forty Years Approved for Implementation

26 June 2008

Paris, France: The Board of ICANN today approved a recommendation that could see a whole range of new names introduced to the Internet's addressing system.

"The Board today accepted a recommendation from its global stakeholders that it is possible to implement many new names to the Internet, paving the way for an expansion of domain name choice and opportunity" said Dr Paul Twomey, President and CEO of ICANN.

A final version of the implementation plan must be approved by the ICANN Board before the new process is launched. It is intended that the final version will be published in early 2009.

"The potential here is huge. It represents a whole new way for people to express themselves on the Net," said Dr Twomey. "It's a massive increase in the 'real estate' of the Internet."

Presently, users have a limited range of 21 top level domains to choose from — names that we are all familiar with like .com, .org, .info.

This proposal allows applicants for new names to self-select their domain name so that choices are most appropriate for their customers or potentially the most marketable. It is expected that applicants will apply for targeted community strings such as (the existing) .travel for the travel industry and .cat for the Catalan community (as well as generic strings like .brandname or .yournamehere). There are already interested consortiums wanting to establish city-based top level domain, like .nyc (for New York City), .berlin and .paris.

"One of the most exciting prospect before us is that the expanding system is also being planned to support extensions in the languages of the world," said Peter Dengate Thrush, ICANN's Chairman. "This is going to be very important for the future of the Internet in Asia, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and Russia." The present system only supports 37 Roman characters.

Upon approval of the implementation plan, it is planned that applications for new names will be available in the second quarter of 2009.

SOURCE

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We know that from into 2009 Icann will be releasing custom domain name extensions to private companies with a $100,000 'starting bid' entry fee

Thankfully .com typo's are not permitted. Plus also this may be desirable for some companies to have their trademarked names as extensions if they wanted that, like: .ibm, .msn etc City Geo's could be excepted too I guess

But, if there are private companies out there that think all domainers are stupid, think again, this thread is not for the legit trademark holder customers extensions. This thread is to boycott, greedy companies thinking they can invest $xxx,xxx to $x,xxx,xxx and stand a chance of pulling the wool over our eyes and trying to sell us bulldust domains like .fun, .motors, .school, .clubs, .shop, .buy, .whatever

Join the boycott, lets make it known that if any companies try to make an extension to sell to us, they can keep their 'JUNK', we are not buying it:

My pledge is I will not touch any of the new domain extensions if any of them are released to the public next year (personally I have excepted .web, because they have been trying since the late 1990's, I don't care about .web personally and won't be buying .web personally, but they deserve a go)

Make your pledge against new 'JUNK' extensions here, join the new extension boycott :tu:

Note: 'All' country codes like .nl, .co.uk, .cr, .be, .ca, in, am, .fm, .st, es, .cc, .dk, .gr, .tm etc etc 'are not' part of the boycott, country code domain names not only 'already exist', they serve a purpose representing peoples home countries. I know most of you already know this, just clearing it up for some

Last edited:
•••
I just pledged my support with a sticky :tu:

•••
Reece said:
I just pledged my support with a sticky :tu:
Reece awesome man, thats what I call support :tu:

Last edited:
•••
If they are "junk" then no one will reg them.

•••
Once it becomes clear that new extensions are a dime a dozen most domainers will not be interested, except for the very best names - which probably will be held back for high prices, anyway.

The most important thing will to be educating noobs - and that can be a bummer when somebody comes in with a stack of newly bought .whatevers and wants us to tell him that his retirement is assured. It will happen.

My chief worry is that those who buy the new extensions will find themselves SOL when the company promoting them fails -- and ICANN says "not our responsibility."

•••
Dean26 said:
If they are "junk" then no one will reg them.
There are always newbies that can be 'conned' into buying junk, if 'junk' is advertised to them, by a professional marketing team even more so (If this were not so, then spam would have no customers and spam would not exist) This is what some greedy corporations may try to have a shot at IMO, although it is very likely such greedy corporations will just fall 'flat on there face' trying to do it :]

accentnepal said:
My chief worry is that those who buy the new extensions will find themselves SOL when the company promoting them fails -- and ICANN says "not our responsibility."
^ Very good point accentnepal: Indeed this would be of great concern once some of these companies go 'belly up' and a bunch of new domain investors are left holding the 'bag' or left holding 'nothing' except remorse

Last edited:
•••
raredn.com said:
But, if there are private companies out there that think all domainers are stupid, think again, this thread is not for the legit trademark holder customers extensions. This thread is to boycott, greedy companies thinking they can invest $xxx,xxx to $x,xxx,xxx and stand a chance of pulling the wool over our eyes and trying to sell us bulldust domains like .fun, .motors, .school, .clubs, .shop, .buy, .whatever

Join the boycott, lets make it known that if any comapnies try to make an extension to sell to us, they can keep their 'JUNK', we are not buying it:

My pledge is I will not touch any of the new domain extensions if any of them are released to the public next year (except maybe .web, because they have been trying since the late 1990's, I don't care about .web personally, but they deserve a go)

Make your pledge against new 'JUNK' extensions here, join the new extension boycott :tu:

Pointless.

The funniest part of this is that after all this about how you say domainers won't buy these (and frankly lots of domainers are going to buy them), is that you finish by saying that maybe you'll buy some .web yourself! What sort of boycott is that?

•••
I really don't think that a boycott will make any difference. Each of these extensions will live or die based on end-user appeal (of which I think most will be sadly lacking).

I've said it before that we, as domainers, really don't influence the markets nor the success or failure of new extensions except for very short periods of time or in tiny niches.

Saying that though, I think we should all try and do something to reverse this crazy decision for the sake of the internet using public as much as anything!! Just don't know what would be effective...

•••
snoop said:
Pointless.

The funniest part of this is that after all this about how you say domainers won't buy these (and frankly lots of domainers are going to buy them), is that you finish by saying that maybe you'll buy some .web yourself! What sort of boycott is that?
You have got what I said wrong, 'no I am not going to buy .web', what I said was since .web has been trying to get its application recognised since the late 1990's, it should not be bundled in with the 'domain extension snake oil cowboys' which should appear next year. Please note snoop from my original post: "I don't care about .web personally"

Snoop this thread is a Boycott, so if any domainers or new domainers were contemplating getting a .NewWhateverExtension, then they can realise that they would be feeding greedy 'Opportunist CowBoy Companies' that have no interest in the good fortune of domain investors, only their own pockets

This thread is also for domainers to have their say on this charade, you snoop are also most welcome to do so :tu: I know you and I have not got off on the best of terms before, but no hard feelings

netfleet said:
I really don't think that a boycott will make any difference. Each of these extensions will live or die based on end-user appeal (of which I think most will be sadly lacking).
This boycott is also to make 'Opportunist Snake Oil Merchants' think again, incase they were getting 'Big Ideas' (if they come across this thread) also maybe saving some from falling flat on their faces, so perhaps a boycott will work for both sides

Last edited:
•••
raredn.com said:
You have got what I said wrong, 'no I am not going to buy .web', what I said was since .web has been trying to get its application recognised since the late 1990's it should not be bundled in with the ' domain snake oil cowboys' which should appear next year. Please note snoop from my original post: "I don't care about .web personally"

Snoop this thread is a Boycott, so if any domainers or new domainers were contemplating getting a .NewWhateverExtension, then they can realise that they would be feeding greedy 'Opportunist CowBoy Companies'

This thread is also for domainers to have there say, you snoop are also most welcome to do so :tu: I know you and I have not go of on the best of terms before, but no hard feelings

Thanks for clarifying your position.

How exactly are they domain snake oil cowboys? And why is .web in a different category simply because they have applied in the past? I don't quite get it.

What is the real problem, is there truly a concern for newbies wasting money (how come nobody tried to boycott .biz, .info, .mobi?) or is this really about people being worried about prices falling in established extensions?

•••
snoop said:
Thanks for clarifying your position.

How exactly are they domain snake oil cowboys? And why is .web in a different category simply because they have applied in the past? I don't quite get it.

What is the real problem, is there truly a concern for newbies wasting money (how come nobody tried to boycott .biz, .info, .mobi?) or is this really about people being worried about prices falling in established extensions?
.Web Feel free to boycott that also, I am just personally giving it some grace (personally only), I don't even like .Web,

As for .biz, .info, .mobi, i know that there is opposition daily for these extensions expressed on this forum, the fact that they have not got a strong foot hold on the internet shows that there is a kind of a boycott already happening IMO Although I know some investors in these extensions hold 'positivity' and 'hope' for their future

As for why companies that try to 'flog' us new extesnions being cowboys, well they are really playing high stakes 'roulette' with these extensions hoping that there will be domain name investors who fall victim to there 'scheme' and the victims become their 'payout'. Then this will most likely fall to pieces after they go 'belly up'

Last edited:
•••
raredn.com said:
As for .biz, .info, .mobi, i know that there is opposition daily for these extensions expressed on this forum, the fact that they have not got a strong foot hold on the internet shows that there is a kind of a boycott already happening IMO Although I know some investors in these extensions hold 'positivity' and 'hope' for their future

People not buying domains because they think it is a poor investment isn't a boycott. There is no protest going on, people just don't think the names are very good. I think you'll see that naturally these new domains will have little speculative success like the prior releases.

•••
snoop said:
People not buying domains because they think it is a poor investment isn't a boycott. There is no protest going on, people just don't think the names are very good. I think you'll see that naturally these new domains will have little speculative success like the prior releases.
I am using Boycott as an interpretation of: Your quote snoop: "People not buying domains because they think it is a poor investment" and also your quote snoop: "I think you'll see that naturally these new domains will have little speculative success"

A Boycott hopefully makes these feelings more 'public'. Cowboy corporations, 'how do you like them apples' :tu:

Last edited:
•••
Come on, so you are saying that you aren't going to be the first one in line to get your domains in the .donny gtld? :)

Donny

•••
Donny said:
Come on, so you are saying that you aren't going to be the first one in line to get your domains in the .donny gtld? :)

Donny
lol Donny, have you got the $100,000 needed just to stand in line? .donny here we come :tu:

Then again some people think this whole icann extension thing will never get of the ground, some people think icann talking hot air

Last edited:
•••
Boycott new extensions. That's ironic. It seems to me that these new extensions are coming into existence as a boycott against domaining. How can we boycott what we've created?

For example, one of the domains that dotNYC is talking about is Taxi.NYC. Why? All extensions are gone and currently too expensive. Taxi.us is currently on auction at SEDO for 35k. That's a little less the one third of the price of making your own extension.

Here's a break down of Taxi/TaxiCabs -

Taxi.com Owned by A & R company
Taxi.net NL Taxi Company
Taxi.Org NL Taxi Company (same as Net)
Taxi.info redirects to 1maia.com
Taxi.biz redirects to hopescience.com
Taxi.us redirects to SEDO auction page where domain is being auctioned for $35,000 (reserve met)
Taxi.de Owned and being used by Taxi company
Taxicab.com (Parked and ugly)
Taxicab.net (Parked and ugly)
Taxicab.org (Parked and ugly)
Taxicab.info (Parked and ugly)
Taxicab.us (Parked and ugly)
Taxicab.biz (Parked and ugly)
Taxicabs.de (Parked and ugly)

Out of the 14 domains listed, only 2 taxicab companies are represented here. So please, who is being greedy?

If I was the head of the National Taxi Association, I think it would be a service to my members to start dotCab and limit it to TAXI companies.

What scares me about new extensions is seeing something like .Google, .MSN or .Yahoo. What would stop them from selling these extensions publicly and then tampering with their search results. Couldn't Google/MSN/YAhoo take over the Internet if they were allowed to get their own extensions?

•••
The domain industry exists for end users, not domainers. Nobody is going to care that a few domainers who are afraid of change are selectively "boycotting" extensions they don't like. It's not a boycott when you refrain from buying something you don't like, it's called making a choice.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Well i will make a choice!! and not register any and support this boycott i own a register/hosting company in the UK and iam sick and tired of all these new domain extensions. Thats why we purely stick with county ext and the major ext like .com, .net etc

Sure .mobi i can understand because everyone carries one around with them so it was obvious that extension was coming and suited its use but even that extension in my eyes failed.

The only reason for all these extensions is greed ... and more greed by people at the top hoping to catch people hook line and sinker by registering these names.

The true enduser who wants to buy a name will always look for either .com or there country extension they are the real winners.

I can understand the days have gone when there was a piece of the pie for domain collectors i know i was there with the .com boom and i did ok out of it and did for many years after but then it became hobbys for more and more people. Then the likes of drop companies sprang to life and backordering and what was available in premium extensions has all been sucked up and the average joe doesnt stand a chance of getting a name.

For newbies who read this my advice!! save your money and buy 1 great name or average like a 3 LLL.com than waiste money on all these crazy extension names. So many people spend thousands on names only for them to let them drop a few years down the road becuase they failed as an extension due to no interest. now if they used that money and got a average domain then it would be a sound and respectable investment today..

Just my input ... good thread.

•••
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Very Nicely Said Steve :tu: 'tipsfromthetop'

Rep added

Well thought out post

•••
I am already married with .com :D Can't have new ones.

•••
accentnepal said:
Once it becomes clear that new extensions are a dime a dozen ....

It's already that way - And "Domainers" are still the driving force causing newer extensions and fads to keep going around in circles. Face it , it's nothing new in this industry. Most of the news we see that supposedly is proof that "This company supports this extension" is actually not proof at all - It's "This company is trying to protect it's Brand by registering any approved extensions it can". With the latest ICANT news ... The sky is the limit !
There can be a new "Grand Illusion" every week now for people to drool over.

•••
The logic tells me that if there is a company in germany [Europe]

They can still get .de or .eu

But yet why .com is .com :o

Same stuff will happen later on. Companies who are willing to put 100,000 will put it and yet they will think they need the .com version of the domain name. :D

Some tld's were good but now this is too much and I don't know why this type of steps are being taken. There are already loads of TLD's where the company can go and brand their name. Branding their name with their own TLD that nobody knows of will be more hassle.

•••
tipsfromthetop said:
Well i will make a choice!! and not register any and support this boycott i own a register/hosting company in the UK and iam sick and tired of all these new domain extensions. Thats why we purely stick with county ext and the major ext like .com, .net etc

Sure .mobi i can understand because everyone carries one around with them so it was obvious that extension was coming and suited its use but even that extension in my eyes failed.

The only reason for all these extensions is greed ... and more greed by people at the top hoping to catch people hook line and sinker by registering these names.

The true enduser who wants to buy a name will always look for either .com or there country extension they are the real winners.

I can understand the days have gone when there was a piece of the pie for domain collectors i know i was there with the .com boom and i did ok out of it and did for many years after but then it became hobbys for more and more people. Then the likes of drop companies sprang to life and backordering and what was available in premium extensions has all been sucked up and the average joe doesnt stand a chance of getting a name.

For newbies who read this my advice!! save your money and buy 1 great name or average like a 3 LLL.com than waiste money on all these crazy extension names. So many people spend thousands on names only for them to let them drop a few years down the road becuase they failed as an extension due to no interest. now if they used that money and got a average domain then it would be a sound and respectable investment today..

Just my input ... good thread.

There are only so many of these "average LLL.com" domains you speak of, do you really think the average Joe Dingle Johnson will spend $15,000+ on jdj.com (or $300,000 on joe.com) when he can get Joe.fun for $10? Sorry but you're not going to convince the "average joe" of anything.

This isn't 1990 anymore where .005% of the population of the planet has access to the internet. It is more like 15% now ( i'm pretty sure i read recently 1 billion people have internet access, maybe not, even so the point stands). That number is only going to go up. Com is king only because that's what people learned with. For my son I got hisname.us, his favorite arcade site is a .co.uk, and he's not phased when he sees cc extensions. He asked me if I could get him hisname.mn rather than .us since we live in Minnesota, he's only 9 and i've never mentioned that there was a .mn tld, he simply thought you could just get any tld that you wanted. He didn't grow up with .com, in his mind anything is possible, if I told him to go to the site great.superfun he wouldn't hesitate. I think alot of people severely overestimate how internet dumb the general populus is, and how much younger it gets every year. In 10 years it will be dominated by people like my son who grew up without the .com training.

Not to say this new tld thing will be a success. I think the obvious tlds will be snatched up (web, sex, fun, xxx, etc), and none of tha bothers me. But that's probably it, there will be no .tld squatting, there will be no microsof.tcom or namepros.con, in fact it sounds like they're doing it right, and don't try to claim you didn't see this coming, this is a natural progression of internet tlds. With millions of possibilities did you really think we'd be stuck with com/org/net/gov forever? Of course not.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back