IT.COM

new gtlds Booking.com wins the biggest advertising mistake of 2016 with Booking.yeah

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
With the launch of tons of new gTLDs from .CLUB to .GURU, .ATTORNEY to .XYZ consumers are still trying to wrap their head around all the new domain extensions. It’s safe to say that most people don’t know all the different new domain extensions that have launched over the last couple of years. Did you know there was a .HOLDINGS? What about a .GDN?
booking-yeah-google-768x424.png
It might just be one of the biggest marketing mistakes of all time. What do you think?..
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Certainly most people don't know all the new domains, most domainers don't either, there's a lot of them!

I don't see the problem with your example.

•••
The problem is that they're paying millions of dollars to advertise "Booking.Yeah" and when viewers type that into their browser, it will take them to a search engine with results for Booking.Yeah.

Then, Booking.com has to pay money to the search engines (like Google) to have their website appear at the top of those results, which costs them even more money, unnecessarily, every single day. Also, they're losing traffic to other results on the search page like the first organic (natural) search result that leads to bookingyeah.co.uk (not owned by Booking.com).

It was never a good idea for them to use Booking.Yeah in their commercials, but now with the new gTLDs, it's an even worse idea since consumers will think they can type it in more often whereas before they may not have tried to type it in.

•••
.yeah isn't an extension though.

Edit: I see

Last edited:
•••
I also think it would have been better with Booking.cool, .world, .today or .online etc and then a redirect to their .com.

•••
The problem is that they're paying millions of dollars to advertise "Booking.Yeah"

Didn't know that. Why on earth would one do such a thing when .yeah doesn't exist? Their marketing manager should be sacked!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back