IT.COM

new gtlds .blog is available today & the prices are crazy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Atta

Top Member
Impact
Hi everyone,

As many of you have already known (from NC newsletter) that .blog is now available. I was one of the persons who rushed to check what is left for registration. To my surprise, none of the keyword, I searched, was under 6 figures yearly price. For example,

WebHosting.blog --> $130,000/yr
Free.blog --> $130,000/yr
website.blog --> $130,000/yr
guide.blog --> $130,000/yr

These are crazy prices. Not sure who is going to purchase these domains at such a high price. In this price, anyone can easily buy one word premium .com instead.

Does anyone of you able to get a good .blog domain at cheap price? This looks impossible to me.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I went to goodaddy to see pricing. Searched .blog and it said
Sorry, this domain extension is not available.
?

•••
•••
Ya, but i was searching names at daddy and now it says extension not available, which it didnt this morning

•••
•••
Its working again.
BuyerBeware.Blog

•••
Its working again.
BuyerBeware.Blog

lol.. great pick I must say :D Create a landing page and put a bold message "Buyer Beware .Blog Is Not For Blogging" on it :D

•••
Has anyone checked to see if ripoff is taken?

•••
Jackpot.blog $139,000 ? lol dilusional !

You can save $19,000 !!! by buying from Dynadot for 120,000 ;)

Kidding aside I am not sure Greed is the word to describe the situation.... they have paid a few mil for this extension and the only way to recoup this investmen is by charging high prices.

•••
Who needs Black Friday or Cyber Monday with 6 figure .blogs available...hours later and I still can't believe these prices.

•••
lol.. great pick I must say :D Create a landing page and put a bold message "Buyer Beware .Blog Is Not For Blogging" on it :D

I didn't buy that. I have more important things to do than criticize a stupid overpriced extension.Just stating buyer beware in my warped way.
New numbers are in https://namestat.org/blog. Already 11 sites in alexa top 1 million :laugh:
Interesting geographic spread, Germany and USA slugging it out for first in # of registrations.
Don't count out the chinese.
And watch those russians too

•••
I took a look yesterday. Blog will possibly be a successful gTLD. It aught to be with Wordpress behind it. I found nothing interesting available. There are just too many premium reserved domains, and everything below 4 chars. With the price at a tad under $30, and nobody offering any discounts. At these prices, I thought twice about buying my 4L.BLOG. and decided to keep my 4LBLOG.COM instead. At which point I lost interest in actually trying to make any money out of the .BLOG gTLD. 4 times the price of the .com/yr was too much a price to pay, for an, as yet, untested gTLD. Those $30/yr soon add up. No problem, if you already have a profitable blog. But how many blogs are for profit?

Last edited:
•••
Those $xxx,xxx price are for premium .blog only, I see the normal price of .blgo is about $18 at GD.

•••
But how many blogs are for profit?
Far and few between. Just as the profit to be made from investing in it. Bloggers blog, they care for the content, more than the headline. If one is taken, they will think of another.

•••
Those $xxx,xxx price are for premium .blog only, I see the normal price of .blgo is about $18 at GD.

I only checked at DomComp where Uniregistry were $29.88

•••
Uniregistry less TopCoins..make it cheaper

Cheers
Corey

•••
My impression is that they don't want to miss a big sale at sunrise. Their thought is that between thousands of premium domain names there may be 2 or 3 that can me sold for 50k or higher (don't forget the fat commissions of registrars). So they want to follow this policy for about a year. Then lower to maybe at half, and wait again. They will sell some more. Then lower again etc. This policy is for the (what they believe as) premium names only. This strategic has also the advantage that it tries to give value to TLD, it suggests that the TLD is not "cheap". People tend to believe that what sells high holds some value.
In my opinion this strategy is wrong. They will fail to attract the domainers, and the domainers are always the big buyers. The opposite strategy is the correct one, as the strategy of the awful (in my opinion) .xyz TLD followed, making it somewhat a success. Well, compared to the other TLDs anyway. Better give away for free at start to make a registrant's (I don't say customer's) base. And hope for the best in the long run.
We will see soon enough a change of strategy and tactics for .blog. Or will see it dissapear.

•••
upload_2016-11-24_3-13-31.png

--------
anyone has a Promo code ?

•••
DotCom.Blog

$139,999.99

$139,999.99/yr when you renew

•••
I wonder if this crazy pricing will lead to an increase in the prices paid for blog .com names.

•••
even 13000, is too high for blog domain. this will just prove a big flop for .blog
they should have been very good in pricing rather than shooting v v high in reg fees..
Ultra premium domains would work but should be max in low to mid xxxx per year. and with this they wud have got hell of money, now they are blocking themselves
I was lucky to grab two decent blog domain @ 25 each
HTML5.blog
3dGames.blog

and I think with these shooting reg feez it will be easy for me to sell these in decent pricing.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Matt Mullenweg: "We're very reasonable on the pricing, so people will be able to consider renewing."

"Pricing is really hard. I think it's a calculus that everyone goes through in this phase, where you want to find a price point where people take it seriously and you're not so low that they're attracting a tonne of speculators, but you're not so high that you're out of reach of normal people."

https://www.namepros.com/blog/interview-we-talk-blog-with-wordpress-creator-matt-mullenweg.972066/

•••
I think ,blog will be a success, with those who use blogs, for the price of a decent blog(memorable) name it is reasonable, I am not talking about premium names, just decent ones 24yr. I don't think it will work for too many domainers though because you would need to reg a ton of the decent names so bloggers wouldn't have the option of looking elsewhere, of coarse I don't even own a cell phone so my opinion is only woth 2cents
Joe T

•••
I picked up only one domain howtomakemoney.blog and informed Godaddy Mexico was going to pay for it :) in all seriousness they will come to their senses really quickly when reality kicks in gve it a few months.

•••
I picked up only one domain howtomakemoney.blog and informed Godaddy Mexico was going to pay for it :) in all seriousness they will come to their senses really quickly when reality kicks in gve it a few months.

After posting I regged a couple for 27.00 I actually convinced myself it was a good deal, Probably could reg 50 strong keywords but I don't like jumping the gun
Joe T

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back