IT.COM

sales BigData.com is it worth 6 Million?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is BigData.com worth the 6 million asking price?

• 1st

Less than 1 Million

votes
    72.2%
  • 2nd

1-2 Million

votes
    20.5%
  • 3rd

6 Million

votes
    6.6%
  • 4th

3 -5 Million

vote
    0.7%

Super Software

Established Member
Impact
MediaOptions has listed the domain name BigData.com for sale with an asking price of USD 6 Million...read more about this in our blog post below and chime in:

BigData.com is this domain worth 6 Million?
Wiki defines Big Data as “Big data is an all-encompassing term for any collection of data sets so large or complex that it becomes difficult to process them using traditional data processing applications”, learn more about Big Data Wiki definition here.
BigData.com is privately registered and is a 11 year old name. However the listing claims it is registered since 2001. It has 78,00,00,000 search term matches on Google alone. Two U.S. Trademarks are included in the sale, which with a little research tells me is owned by SYSTAP, LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY D.C. 4501 Tower Road Greensboro NORTH CAROLINA 27410. See one of the USPTO Trademark Search results in this link here.
IMHO it is worth between $1-$2 Million BIN and most of the potential end users including the BIG 3 (IBM, Oracle, SAP) solution providers would have either already considered and dropped the possible acquisition given the lofty valuation demands, would be my guess. Other potential suitors could have be Salesforce, Amazon, EMC etc.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Estibot value is only $10k

•••
•••
@Julian Tells you something about Estibot's formula! Both buyers and seller's are often mistakenly referencing automated tools to evaluate something "subjective" and names that have too many non tangible evaluation criteria...

As someone famously said a domain name is worth what one sells it for...period... and boy have we seen a lot of WTF deals!;)

Got me looking at what our own site evaluation service throws up - it says 132,446K of course that is purely what the website is worth, based on search presence and traffic etc..not the "domain', the two trademarks that it comes with and any "subjective"" criteria of what a business could be worth around this name for the likes of the Tech Giants!

So, 6 million is a steal! Just kidding.
Good one - just saw that while writing this response!

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
•••
•••
•••
I completely understand that valuate.com (estibot.com) is a VERY rough estimate. However, the fact is this isn't a 7 figure domain (unless of course someone with deep pockets thinks it is) but it will most likely be high 4 to low 5 in my opinion, and I could be wrong. Who knows :ahhh:

•••
BigData.com could be a 7 figure name to the right buyer. It's a big industry with strong comparable sales to prove it.

•••
Not that big, less than a million! :xf.rolleyes:

•••
Big data is a wild industry but 6 million is ridiculous.

•••
The short answer is no.

There are a handful of domains worth $6 million or better. There are a handful of buyers on the planet willing to pay millions for a domain name. It's not a good equation for 2 word names with million dollar expectations...

•••
Low $xxx to mid $xxx - resell.
high $xxx to mid $x,xxx - end user.

Not bad but this is not even a good domain.
It is absurd that they think it can sell for 7 figures.

Edit: If they include the website as part of the sale, it can reach 5 figures.

Last edited:
•••
Low $xxx to mid $xxx - resell.
high $xxx to mid $x,xxx - end user.

Not bad but this is not even a good domain.
It is absurd that they think it can sell for 7 figures.

Edit: If they include the website as part of the sale, it can reach 5 figures.

Seriously, come on...

•••
Seriously, come on...

Seriously. I find nothing special in this domain name nor website.
I really don't find a reason to justify even mid 5 figures with the website.
I wish best of luck to the owner/s in selling this domain name but I highly doubt it will reach 6/7 figures.
If it does reach such prices, I will pity the one who bought it.

•••
@Sheogorath , You find nothing special in BigData !? Man - we are 2015. Watch the news. For the right buyer - yes - this surely can reach more than a million.

•••
@Sheogorath , You find nothing special in BigData !? Man - we are 2015. Watch the news. For the right buyer - yes - this surely can reach more than a million.

That is my personal opinion. I'm aware of Big Data term meaning.
If I'm to believe in conspiracy theories, I would say this thread serves as an advertisement for the listing ;)

•••
All I know is that it's growing in value by the minute with all the exposure it's getting. :xf.wink:

•••
Maybe the band BigData would buy it if they became huge. Not sure it would fetch 6Mil.

•••
No conspiracy this @Sheogorath @DavidWalker , not affiliated with MediaOptions or the Domain Owner, however the blog post with views are mine.

I was about to say : "I would take that capital and launch dot DATA in the next nTLD auction and Z (with big.data on registry reserve ;))"

That is until I just realized it is one of the applications in this round itself, with 3 parties vying for it I think! Donuts might take the cake!

•••
a seven figure name to a corporation like Google.

•••
This thread reminds me of Castello Brothers asking $1.2 Billion for a bunch of 30 something dot com portfolio. Maybe Andrew would never get $6M for BigData.com but it's a good publicity stunt. Some sucker may offer him $1M, thinking it to be cheap in comparison with the $6M asking price: Goal Accomplished!! :)

Data.com may certainly be worth $2-$5 Million to the right business but BigData.com should be about $50k-$250k AT THE MAX. Why? Read on.

The dot com domains that sell for millions are usually a one word "GENERIC" keyword that is very well-known to the masses and where the masses (Google Searchers) are the major business/revenue contributor for that keyword.

Firstly, how many "real" people know the keyword "Big Data", sparing the people with an IT background? Perhaps only 0.25%. Now, compare it with Data.com!! Almost everyone on the planet knows what "Data" is.

Google has its own big database tech (they in fact started this), Facebook its own and many other companies their own. But all their big data tech are different: Cassandra, MongoDb, Hadoop, HBase, CouchDb and the list goes on.

Also, 95% business for Big Data keyword would come from the corporates, not the masses (Google Searchers). Since most of the IT corporates already have fixed venues for outsourcing their Analytics work, what's the benefit of someone acquiring BigData.com for multimillion?

None, IMO.

Last edited:
•••
Definitely a good name, too many non-believers in this thread. Definitely will sell mid-high 6 figures.

•••
Firstly, never trust or depend on estibot when valuing a domain

Secondly, there is no fixed value for any domain names. It depends on the buyer and seller

Thirdly, @David Walker is right, it is gaining valuable exposure, I never even knew there was a domain bigdata.com in existence :'(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back