NameSilo

Big Company harrassing me for domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Last year I started a software company in India and was busy minding my own business when I got a letter from the lawyers of one of India's top IT companies stating that my company name was violating their client's trademark. So I changed my company name and thought that the problem was sorted out. That was 4 months ago. This week I received another letter form the same lawyers saying that I should transfer the domain name to their clients, free of cost.

My lawyer says that legally they cannot ask me to transfer the domain name since they cannot prove that I registered the domain name in bad faith or to squat on it. I actually had a valid company under that name and did business. However they can make my life miserable by dragging me to court. I dont have the time nor the patience to take this matter further. Neither do I want to let them bully me into handing over the domain name to them. I have had enough trouble and lost enough money changing my company name.

I want to get rid of the domain name. If anybody is interested in buying the name, please contact me at [email protected]. I will send you information on the domain name and the IT company.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If it goes to court, this case will be handled in India. Are you sure that "settlement negotiations are generally inadmissible in court proceedings" is true in their legal system?

I would be shocked if it wasn't true, since the rule is one of English law, and is true in Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and every other commonwealth country. India's legal system is entirely based on the English system.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back