Domain Empire

Better domain parking?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

greggb

Established Member
Impact
I'm new to the business of domain flipping, and I've found the issue of domain parking very mysterious. Like why did my Sedo parking essentially try to install a virus on my computer when I first parked my domains there? And why have I gotten 200 clicks on one site at Sedo and made 39 cents? And why after I parked a bunch of domain names at Bodis have I only gotten 13 views, and no clicks?

Shi* just isn't adding up.

I'm getting ready to create a parking platform for my own sites, which will allow me to have my own ads and analytics so I can see what's really going on. I also want to make it very clear that my domains are for sale, and make it easy for a prospective buyer to get in touch with me.

It occurred to me that I could make this service available to anyone. So I just thought I'd drop a line and find out what the people here think about the idea of a domain parking service that's fully customizable, where you can have your own ads (i.e., google adsense) and your own traffic tracking so you can really know what's going on.

I could make this free and profit by having an affiliate link to escrow.com, and maybe have one section of ad space reserved for me.

I just figured I'd get some opinions here before diving into this. What is wrong with the ideas I mentioned?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like your ideas just think you need help with them. You one muhfuckah trying to share the dream all by yourself. No one can do it alone, that's obvious

I think your ideas are incredible though and really I just have one question so far, and that's is the drone and 420 domain search sites automatically or manually filled with entries?

Either way, I love the layout, I love the operation ability and not just the function but how you set it up (GUI) as well! I think you're on to something!

•••
I like your ideas just think you need help with them. You one muhfuckah trying to share the dream all by yourself. No one can do it alone, that's obvious

I think your ideas are incredible though and really I just have one question so far, and that's is the drone and 420 domain search sites automatically or manually filled with entries?

Either way, I love the layout, I love the operation ability and not just the function but how you set it up (GUI) as well! I think you're on to something!

Thanks for the kind words. Specialized search has been my specialty for quit a while now. And to answer your question, the search sites are automatically filled. Actually, because of the way Sedo loads search results, I have to jump through some hoops, which doesn't allow things to happen quite automatically...

And if you think there's some validity to a domain-flipping platform please let me know. And by that I mean a big one like Sedo, because so much could be done to make a better experience for the users. But then I've noticed some bigger companies like Sendo tend to get complacent when they rule the market, because they know sellers will still list their stuff there, because that's where they can get the best price. And buyers will go there because it's the biggest show in town. That's the business model Microsoft has used since just about day one. But I digress...

•••
the validity of what exactly? lol, of Sedo? Being what? lol

•••
I personally tried just over a year to sell domains. I could of done way different/better but with what I learned I'm glad I did it. With the exception of purchasing domains I can't/haven't developed, I'm glad so far with the little I have learned.

As far as a service market goes, I started my site just for basic function. Everyone wants auctions, bin pricing, etc, but with Sedo you get 10-15%+ in fees at the end of a sale. My only sale was through my own marketing my sites, but since I did the sale on sedo they took a hefty % compared to the amount of work I was doing (forwarding traffick to them and advertising my sites for sale) and all for only 85% of 1 sale.

In the end I learned my methods weren't right but also, I was against SOOOO many limitations and restrictions.

So IFUGE was created to kill high fees, and try to give legit sellers control of real tools, not just extra exposure for forwarded traffick they bank from, while we suffer.

I (for 2 months) have gotten 0 hits from Sedo for my domains listed there. How can I (who had 2,737 uniques and 1,758 clicks for only $2.50 in my pocket / 6 months) have absolutely 0 hits now that I have taken away my forwarding from Sedo? It's because they are fraud

I like your ideas and I think different simple functions that you are creating and just the idea for tools and features for users, is great.

•••
That's the first page that comes up in a google search. It says nothing about retirement. But then when you go to the setup page, it says that it's been retired. So it's true that google is no longer an option. That was one of the things I was really counting on.

I started this thread to get some opinions as to the profitability of creating such a platform myself. What I'm gathering is that it probably wouldn't be all that profitable.

I do think someone could do a lot better job than Sedo has been at facilitating a domain flipping platform. But I've been down the road of trying to compete with the giants, no matter how crappy of a job they're doing, and I know how tough/impossible it is.

I'm probably going to stick to niches, like the websites listed in my signature. By allowing people to list their domains and use escrow.com for escrow purposes it seems to me I could save them a lot of money in fees and make some money myself with affiliate programs and featured domains and what not.

The thing about either of the niche websites in my signature is that I can set one up in a day, so if you guys have any ideas for other niches feel free to drop me a line. But I think I'm going to scratch the original idea here.

Thanks for all the thoughts/opinions/insights!

If you're that good at building websites, why don't you just make money building websites for people? I mean brand identity marketing, it makes good money if you know what you're doing. I wanted to get into that myself! I have an amazing eye for design and color and a good head for business idea's but I'm not really a fallow through kind of person so needless to say I never finished learning how to actually build a website. Instead of domain flipping why not website flipping? buy a great domain build a store front for it advertise a complete package undercut the competition, am I right?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back