Dynadot

Beta test a new NamePros marketplace feature

NameSilo
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
Want to help beta test a new marketplace feature on NamePros? This is a prototype marketplace I developed to be integrated into the site. I'm looking for some early feedback to gauge whether the concept is viable and worthwhile to continue development. (In other words, would anyone use this? :D)

This new feature is custom designed for the reseller-to-reseller domain aftermarket-- specifically domains selling for $1000 range and under.

http://www.namepros.com/nm.php

Everyone can list up to 10 domains for sale at a time. If your name gets a purchase offer the system will alert you by private message with the details to finish your transaction.

Have a browse around or give it a spin with a few names that you're selling, then leave your feedback here in this thread... good, bad or ugly! :santa:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just listed a few...very easy to do - Let's see how it turns out.

Thanks RJ, Easy to find in the Marketplace :tu:

•••
I like the set up!
Make it easier really for both buyers and sellers.
The present forums for selling domains a bit over run and hard to find domains.

Like the fee structure also.

Hey, if this takes off RJ?
Close down all the other domain forums for selling and buying.

•••
I listed a few as well, I like that names will only be listed for 7 days. As long as people can stay realistic with pricing it could be a nice system.

•••
Listed one using the Top submit button

Additionally, the bottom submit button doesn't work at all.

Using FF 8.0.1 with NP Red / White / Blue theme 3.8

Update:
when I click on my name in the list now, it says "This domain is no longer for sale", but I haven't got a pm or email about it selling.. domain was: Unevenness.com

Further analysis:
When I first listed I forgot a "," and it error with a "Domain not listed - Invalid format used". This is good. However, the next attempt I accidentally used a "$" with the sale amount and rather than giving me the error in format, it listed the domain for $0. I then removed the listing and re-submitted it.

With the above noted, is it possible the database doesn't delete domains sold, thus making it so that the same domain can never be sold again after it's been sold once? (E.G. Joe sells a domain today to bob, bob decided he no longer wants it 2 months later and re-lists it for sale again, Database query's to find the domain already has been sold and bob is unable to sell the domain.)

Is that how it's supposed to be?

Eric Lyon

Last edited:
•••
Something I noticed are members offering payment options such as escrow/com, SEDO, etc. This would appear to layer fees on top of the NPNM fee and I wonder if those members are aware of the potential cost. This may cause some misunderstanding or abuse of the NPs "namemart".

I added the option to accept registrar gift certs as a form of payment. The registrar can secure the payment and manage that risk. No fee on top of "NameMart" fees. Paypal mass pay also still option.

Looks great RJ,

Seems you've been working to make NPs an even more feature rich forum. I, for one, appreciate the fact you still have an obvious passion for NPs. "Her" members are fortunate to have you for an owner. Hats Off my friend.:great:

NN

Hint hint .... It would be nice to have a static NPs member portfolio (names for sale) page in our members area.

•••
I listed a few as well, I like that names will only be listed for 7 days. As long as people can stay realistic with pricing it could be a nice system.

I wanted to keep it filled with fresh names that are in reseller price ranges.

Members can only list a domain once for 7 days. If it doesn't sell and they would like to relist after 7 days then a minimum price reduction of 10% is required. If members use the watch list they would be notified if a name they like has been re-listed at a better price.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Update:
when I click on my name in the list now, it says "This domain is no longer for sale", but I haven't got a pm or email about it selling.. domain was: Unevenness.com

Bug fixed. It was pulling up the original listing of unevenness.com as you suspected. I fixed code to retrieve the most recent listing of the domain instead.

Need to add logic on what to do if two members try listing the same name at same time.

Further analysis:
However, the next attempt I accidentally used a "$" with the sale amount and rather than giving me the error in format, it listed the domain for $0.

Fixed so it strips extra characters like $ from price figure. It will reject domain if value is 0.

Thanks for testing, I appreciate the early feedback! If this system works well I can pull from the NameMart domain database to advertise domains for sale around the forum in place of banner ads.

•••
Noticing all the listing are Fixed Price, I'm guessing NameMart will only replace the fixed priced section? Or will there be additional category's added later?

Eric Lyon

•••
Yes, it is purely fixed price. If you add a name to your watch list there is a feature to let you suggest a new price but it's a little different than an auction or offer-counter offer system.

I'm not trying to replace any sales forum but rather add an additional option for listing your names for sale. The forum still has the most flexibility for sellers. If I continue development I would like to have option to subscribe to new or hot names being listed.

•••
Sounds great to me... I'm going to list a second one, I figure if I list a few for $5 eventually we might be able to test the purchase procedure without anyone having to be out of pocket much. :)

Further testing results:
I used the full format this time "Name, Price, Description" and oddly enough the description is not viewable anywhere for buyers. Name in question: SurvivalistConsultant.com - Description added: Page Rank 2 (Description not showing in listing for buyers)

Added Note:
Actually, I think this could do away with Both fixed price threaded & the Bargain bin threaded technically, with the $29 or less being the bargain column. E.G. Fixed Price / Bargain Bin section links directly to NameMart on the home page. (Instant access exposure)

The only real debate about bargain bin is if someone wants to start a bargain threaded auction. Which the solution is simple & already being done, start a $1 auction in the auction section. And make offer bargains still fit in the make offer section. So really, the bargain sections only real purpose are low fixed priced sales anyways.. Might as well merge them into this new feature. :)

Eric Lyon

Last edited:
•••
Good thinking Scorp, this probably could replace the current bargain bin section. We can even link it to a NameMart category directly like $29 and less is at http://www.namepros.com/namemart/?cc=1

Yeah looks like I missed displaying the description on the sales page. :]

•••
More testing Notes:
Not sure if it's just me or if the text isn't wrapping for others. But all the $xxx columns are missing the "s" on less & only show "les". Also note that the banner column has broken outside the frame.

Screenshot: http://imagehosting.scorpionagency.com/images/739_NamePros.com_NameMart.png

My browser is: FF 8.0.1
My screen resolution is: 1280 x 768

Eric Lyon

•••
Whoa. Might be a missing or extra <div> somewhere.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

fixed!

•••
Just went through the checkout - on my own as a test and I received this message
Payment instructions from seller: None specified. PM seller for payment info.

Click here to send a Private Message (PM) to mis_chiff to confirm payment and coordinate the transfer of this domain.

The status of this transaction can be tracked on your Current Transactions page.

Nothing about the Paypal payment type, pretty sure I posted it [could be wrong] :guilty:

•••
More testing Notes: (Live Chat Log)

LinM: deal $5 sold.
scorpionagency: use the marketplace so we can test it please :)
scorpionagency: I havent tested the sold feature yet
LinM: ok so now whats this
scorpionagency: locate the name in the list on the left at the link above
LinM: ahh ic
LinM: you are makin a name shop with cart for np
scorpionagency: RJ is, still in beta
scorpionagency: I think it just sends PM's right now
scorpionagency: no cart really
LinM: hmm
scorpionagency: so me & you will learn as we go, since its both our first transaction on that system
LinM: im pretty good with carts, built a bunch of shopping sites but all for actual stuff
LinM: yup sure
LinM: ok so i clicked thru confirm purchase
scorpionagency: Heres the PM I got:: Good news, scorpionagency. Your domain has a buyer! Domain SurvivalistConsultant.com Price $5 Buyer LinM Once the buyer has submitted payment you should arrange the transfer of the name. Visit the following link to mark this transaction as completed: namepros.com/nm.php?a=sales
scorpionagency: did it give you my paypal address?
LinM: does it say you should send payment details to me?
LinM: ah yeah
LinM: it is on there, i didnt notice it tho
LinM: that needs to be bold and different color
scorpionagency: hmm
scorpionagency: ok, so you did get the paypal though?
LinM: u know what people are like, it was just another page of flat text, i didnt notice there was the key stuff on it til 2nd look
LinM: yup
scorpionagency: right
LinM: one mo i'll send it over...
scorpionagency: I'll record this chat log & post it in the beta testing thread
scorpionagency: kk
LinM: sent
scorpionagency: kk LinM, checking
LinM: oh crap
LinM: i forgot to put my gd details in the comments at paypal
LinM: thats a pretty pedestrian method anyway
scorpionagency: ya I just saw that
scorpionagency: I need your GD details
scorpionagency: lol
LinM: lol of course
scorpionagency: pm me on the forums so I can copy paste
scorpionagency: :)
LinM: the name mart maybe should ask for it and send it as pm instead of saying put in paypal, lots will forget
scorpionagency: thats a good idea
LinM: seriously i will forget again and again cos its an unusual move
scorpionagency: Transaction complete, I'll give you +iTrader here shortly LinM

So, in conclusion, There needs to be a better way to get the buyers attention with the payment + push instructions. Maybe BOLD like LinM suggested, or a popup reminder?

Eric Lyon

•••
Thank you for the most excellent beta test!

•••
I just bought a domain off NameMart and when I clicked the link to pm the user it sent me to the pm page, but it had RJ's name on it.

•••
Very neat,I like how you can see all domains at once instead of having to click on every post. Great feature.

•••
Should the "n" in the NameMart logo (A Marketplace for Domain name Resellers) be capitalized?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back