Dynadot

discuss Best TLD domain to buy after .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BUL

Established Member
Impact
What do people do when they don't find .com?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Depends on what the project is. If you are buying as investment, I would say after .com could be your native ccTLD. Otherwise, I would say .net or .co. I also like .org, but that is limited in some ways.

•••
If its a two word .com and the second word is also a TLD then I would try the perfect match of this TLD.

Example:

AdvertVideo.com not available so I register Advert.Video

•••
if really can't acquire dot com then dot co or a gTLD depending on company niche or sector

•••
•••
Here is the 'hit parade' of extensions in transactions reported by Namebio for keyword domains only

Clearly .co, .io and .cc have gained momentum. Surprizingly, .de and .co.uk have dropped. The big 3 remain stable.

Since 1 Jan 2015
Ext Nb Transactions
.com 17544
.net 2962
.org 1592
.co 765
.io 667
.cc 533
.info 373
.us 254
.biz 254
.de 249
.tv 218
.me 214
.xyz 212
.co.uk 167

Before Jan 1 2015
(since there are 10 years of transactions, the # of registrations are not comparable with the other list)
Ext Nb Transactions
.com 56458
.net 12505
.org 7307
.de 3839
.co.uk 3181
.com.au 2746
.info 2418
.eu 1807
.mobi 1359
.tv 1350
.us 1017
.fr 973
.co 963
.biz 824

Note: If I were to choose a domain for a real business (not to resell it), I'd probably look for a .com and I would not give much attention to other extensions. There are plenty of brandable or keyword+prefix/suffix domains still available (or low priced) for virtually all business activities
However, secondary extensions become quite popular for startup. (see angel.co/companies)

•••
•••
tech companies usually move to .io after .com...some for .net.

•••
no surprise, .top not in sight

•••
Good luck finding end users on anything that is not .com

•••
as we all know dot com is the pinnacle, the most wanteed, but the other extensions are viable options in this time and will only rise as not everyone can have the .com of their liking so they turn to other gtlds and cctlds that relate to their niche/biz or just because they like the look or shortness of the tld

•••
•••
•••
can try .io , .ly, li, .pw

•••
It depends. Though lots of opinions here, IMHO, I would like

0) Go for .com (if possible)
1) In most countries, it is recommended to go for ccTLDs like .co.jp, .co.uk, com.cn, etc., or just use .jp, .uk, .cn to make it short. This option is preferred if you are running a business in a specific country (not targetting at international market).
2) If you are aiming to expand your business to other countries, go for .net or .org if you like the traditional and well accepted extensions. (Personally I found very few companies/startups use .info or .biz as their main domain names.)
3) If options in 2 seem not attractive to you, pick .co (more traditional), or .io (technological, especially IT related). Also .tv is a good choice if your business is related to that. At the same time, you can try .me or other internationalized ccTLDs. BTW, Google treats these ccTLDs as international TLDs: .ad, .as, .bz, .cc, .cd, .co, .dj, .fm, .io, .la, .me, .ms, .nu, .sc, .sr, .su, .tv, .tk, .ws. You may like one of them for your needs.
4) Forget to mention that, no need to take the above "rules" seriously. Just pick what you like. For example, some domain hacks are quite impressive like dnpric.es :)

If possible, buy all the above for protection :D

Last edited:
•••
If I had to choose just one, it would be .one. I really enjoy that extension.

But I have a guilty pleasure too, which is .ooo. Just enjoy the way it looks in the address bar, with a good keyword prefix.

Even though I love those extensions though, I don't use any of them for my websites. Any of my sites names+extensions specifically reflect what that site has for content.

The best to use after .com would be pretty much what ever you felt like. You are not restricted to just traditional tlds anymore. You could match brand.keyword or brand.brand or keyword.brand or keyword.keyword or whatever.whatever into a lovely pairing.

Good luck finding end users on anything that is not .com

Are you serious? Maybe you should venture out a bit more, you might be surprised..Good stuff popping up all over the place.

•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back