Dynadot

question Best reasons to give to potential buyers who already have a website?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I´m about to start a big outbound selling campaign for several domains I own and I´ve read a lot about email and negotiation strategies. However it´s not completely clear to me what to tell businesses who already have a website.

Let´s say for example that I owned testosteronesupplements dot com (which I don´t) and wanted to sell it to a nutrition website, but they wouldn´t want to move their whole domain because they sell more than test supplements. How would I convince them? Do I tell them to create a new site because the keyword-rich domain will help them for PPC campaigns?

Thanks in advance

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
More just a one liner. Enhance your current online presence with the generic name most suitable to your business.

•••
In my experience it's often a waste of time to open with a pitch, they probably won't read most of it. Keep the initial E-Mail fairly short & to the point, but create a sense of urgency so they know others may be interested.

If they sell more than one service/product but your domain is still relevant to them it's usually a good idea to bring up any relevant search or traffic stats for your domain's keywords and suggest that owning the EMD for that specific product/service could bring them extra traffic & revenue from those searches. Just because they have a website already doesn't mean there isn't opportunity to capitalise on the benefits of an EMD.

•••
I thought when first reading why bother but Electric-shadow actually kinda nailed it.

•••
It depends on how much work you want to do. If I had the time, I would put together an information site specific to that product, and then mail any companies that might be interested, and ask them if they have an affiliate programme. You might pick up some advertising revenue, and you might sell the name. Either way the company will be aware that they can contact you about the domain.

•••
In my experience it's often a waste of time to open with a pitch, they probably won't read most of it. Keep the initial E-Mail fairly short & to the point, but create a sense of urgency so they know others may be interested.

If they sell more than one service/product but your domain is still relevant to them it's usually a good idea to bring up any relevant search or traffic stats for your domain's keywords and suggest that owning the EMD for that specific product/service could bring them extra traffic & revenue from those searches. Just because they have a website already doesn't mean there isn't opportunity to capitalise on the benefits of an EMD.
Does this only apply to single dictionary words?

Let me keep this simple. But what about 2 or 3 word keyword domains ?

And

Hacked keywords?

Like Shopify?

•••
Each niche has it's own pros and cons, you can't necessarily apply a catch all because it won't work in every instance, especially with hacked names which most serious companies would see as a novelty for their brand and thus should be marketed to them accordingly with the exception of high traffic names.

•••
as an observer of such threads,
my main concern is how true are the statements being made about "traffic, search volume, and if it's an emd" or not?

or are they just assumptions of what could be or are misleading, in an attempt to make a sale?

will they really benefit the potential, as expressed in the context of such solicitations?.

but i'd say the best pitch, if you must toss the ball first... is a domain name with existing traffic for their market.

imo....

•••
Let´s say for example that I owned testosteronesupplements dot com (which I don´t) and wanted to sell it to a nutrition website, but they wouldn´t want to move their whole domain because they sell more than test supplements. How would I convince them? Do I tell them to create a new site because the keyword-rich domain will help them for PPC campaigns?

The easiest suggestion would be to forward the domain to the relevant page on their current site.

In my opinion, if they don't recognize the benefit themselves, you'll have a difficult time selling the idea via email correspondence. They either get it or they don't so finding the right contact is the key.

•••
They could use the keyword domain to set up a blog that then drives traffic to their main site.

•••

Haven´t tracked the traffic for any of the domains :(

It depends on how much work you want to do. If I had the time, I would put together an information site specific to that product, and then mail any companies that might be interested, and ask them if they have an affiliate programme. You might pick up some advertising revenue, and you might sell the name. Either way the company will be aware that they can contact you about the domain.

That would be too much time for every domain, besides I know from experience how much time it can take for a blog to get good organic traffic

The easiest suggestion would be to forward the domain to the relevant page on their current site.

In my opinion, if they don't recognize the benefit themselves, you'll have a difficult time selling the idea via email correspondence. They either get it or they don't so finding the right contact is the key.

But why would users want to go to the minor domain? A specific PPC campaign?

They could use the keyword domain to set up a blog that then drives traffic to their main site.

Sounds interesting, what would you suggest if they ask why not just having a section for e.g. t-supplements on their existing site?

•••
personally! you think to much :xf.smile:, just tell them, I want to sell my domain, if you interested with my offer let me know!

Don't over do! we all hate salesman! remember that! but we don't hate people that give profitable offer :xf.smile:
example, : you send me PM, "want to buy my domain only $5k good-domain.com" of course I will reject(you scammer) ! but if you give good deal, something like this, LLL.com, only $5k! :xf.smile: how can I refuse that offer ? :xf.smile:, I must be stupid if refuse your LLL.com only $5k! right ?

what if I don't have LLL.com ? well, that's your fault! :xf.laugh:

my point is, just tell them, you want to sell your domain! :xf.smile: as simple as is that! if they interested they will reply! if not move on! for several cases, they will reply with! you scammer, get a life! :xf.smile: if you can't take it move on! :xf.cool:

btw if I have establish brand/domain, and someone tell me to change! I will instantly to hit spam button! because its same like insulting my taste! unless, I have better domain to offer! :xf.cool:

Last edited:
•••
personally! you think to much :xf.smile:, just tell them, I want to sell my domain, if you interested with my offer let me know!

Don't over do! we all hate salesman! remember that! but we don't hate people that give profitable offer :xf.smile:
example, : you send me PM, "want to buy my domain only $5k good-domain.com" of course I will reject(you scammer) ! but if you give good deal, something like this, LLL.com, only $5k! :xf.smile: how can I refuse that offer ? :xf.smile:, I must be stupid if refuse your LLL.com only $5k! right ?

what if I don't have LLL.com ? well, that's your fault! :xf.laugh:

my point is, just tell them, you want to sell your domain! :xf.smile: as simple as is that! if they interested they will reply! if not move on! for several cases, they will reply with! you scammer, get a life! :xf.smile: if you can't take it move on! :xf.cool:

I hear you, but that´s precisely what I am looking for, not to look like a scammer; and I thought if I added an explanation on how the domain could benefit them specifically (or being ready to answer that if they asked), my chances would be improved.

Also, in your example you mention the price immediately, would you recommend that as a standard procedure?

•••
I hear you, but that´s precisely what I am looking for, not to look like a scammer; and I thought if I added an explanation on how the domain could benefit them specifically (or being ready to answer that if they asked), my chances would be improved.

Also, in your example you mention the price immediately, would you recommend that as a standard procedure?
personally I never tell the price! because for some reason, if they interested with my domain, they will click the link! in there, they will see the price and etc!( I redirect to my sedo LP offer)

domain name are unique product! you don't have to tell people what for and what benefit! most of the time, they will know instantly about your domain value!

what if my domain made up words, or twisted domain ? well, again, that's your fault! :xf.laugh: sell domain name that most people will understand! the tricky part is, we have to find, the right people that have same mindset like us! if we can find it! I am sure he will buy our domain! with 1 condition! the price are reasonable!:xf.grin:

last night(my time) I tell to jeff B, ! since my domain are tricky! its 3C, I tell him, hi jeff, my domain bla..bla..bla..! who know, it would be suitable for your new project! and the price are also quite reasonable! only $2k+, but if you think too much, you can send an offer! start as low as $500!

and I am sure, my 3C for $500 are quite reasonable! as result all of them visit my LP! :xf.smile:
question is, are they willing to buy my 3C domain with $2k or $500 :xf.grin:
personally I don't really care, they will buy or no! that's not my problems! because that is his problems! :xf.smile:
me as seller , my job is to tell them! to the right people, that I have decent domain, with reasonable price! whether they will buy or not! that's not our goal! because if we hope to much, that our outbound will make sales! trust me! you'll get a lot of disappointment! because the question is, who do you think we are! :ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back