Dynadot

question Best place to develop a domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Best website host?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Bluehost

vote
    25.0%
  • GoDaddy

votes
    0.0%
  • Hostgator

vote
    25.0%
  • WordPress.Com

votes
    0.0%
  • Other

votes
    50.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

BusinessDirect

Established Member
Impact
I've been pondering whether to start developing my domains. There are only 3 domains in my portfolio so far, and I see a lot of potential for one in particular.

I'm wondering where to start though. I'm not confident enough to make a WordPress.org on my own computer. So I'm looking for a hosting site.

I've seen some good offers for Bluehost, HostGator, and GoDaddy or WordPress.com seem reasonable at least.

What is the best website of these for development? Or is there another you recommend? And is it generally easy to make back the hosting fees with ad revenue?

Thank you for any advice.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are many review websites which compare web hosting services. You could check them first to get a rough idea about how well each web hosting service does. I personally use Bluehost, and I'm satisfied with their uptime and 24/7 live chat support.

And I suggest using dedicated web hosting services. Domain registrars might help you create a website quickly for provisional use, but when it comes to building long-term websites, dedicated web hosting services are more reliable. I haven't used GoDaddy's web hosting service, but I have heard two users who used it sharing their negative experiences. The two users' websites somehow went down and they waited for an unacceptable amount of time to get their websites working again.

As for ad revenue, it would depend on the popularity of your website. A popular website would have no problem generating ad revenue.

Hope this helps,
Ian

Last edited:
•••
I've used GoDaddy web hosting and have never had any issues. If you use the GoDaddy Managed Wordpress - that is a monthly fee you would pay to host one website. If you are only developing one website and don't mind paying that monthly fee, then that's okay ... but if you are only relying on ad revenue to make that much money per month, it will take you a long, long time to break even.

If you instead plan on developing multiple websites, then cPanel is the way to go, and you can host multiple Wordpress websites under one cPanel account. It's not as user-friendly to go the cPanel route, but there are plenty of YouTube videos to learn from.

Just remember, developing websites takes a lot of time. If you are in this business to buy and sell domain names, then you should probably concentrate on just that. Developing names into websites that increase the value of the domain name takes a huge effort, and possibly years of time. Good luck!

•••
@Visioner Studio thank you for your suggestion, I did just that, I found reviews, and spent quality time really digging into the options available to me. For now, I might have decided on one I didn't even consider in the first place, Squarespace. Since I am new to development, I figure it could be good to spend the extra cost of having a business account there and focus on just one domain, because they have so many EZ mode features that make it a breeze. Before I fully dive in though, I'm using the 14-day trial just to make sure it's what I want. At the same time I am experimenting with free WordPress. com websites to get the hang of that for future endeavors.

@Kpett Thank you for your suggestion and advice as well. As I mentioned to Visioner above, I'm learning Worpress right now by experimenting on the free side. The cPanel idea does sound nice, perhaps a future goal once I get the hang of things. I'm definitely not ready to invest time in all of my domains as I had previously thought, especially if I can't break even. However, I am excited about putting my focus on the one I am trying now, because I have a lot of faith that it will be worth a good deal of money someday, especially if I put my heart into it.

•••
@Visioner Studio thank you for your suggestion, I did just that, I found reviews, and spent quality time really digging into the options available to me. For now, I might have decided on one I didn't even consider in the first place, Squarespace. Since I am new to development, I figure it could be good to spend the extra cost of having a business account there and focus on just one domain, because they have so many EZ mode features that make it a breeze. Before I fully dive in though, I'm using the 14-day trial just to make sure it's what I want. At the same time I am experimenting with free WordPress. com websites to get the hang of that for future endeavors.
You're welcome. Having a good time playing with Squarespace!

Incidentally, my use of the term "dedicated web hosting services" in my previous reply might be confusing to some. I would like to correct it to "web hosting companies".

Besides, the two user feedbacks I mentioned might not be enough to conclude GoDaddy's web hosting service since @Kpett said he personally haven't run into any problem so far. So to everyone, if you're satisfied with the support you've been receiving from your domain registrar, you could also give their web hosting service a try.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back