IT.COM

advice Beaware....co.uk

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

nimtree

Established Member
Impact
Recently a NamePros member got in touch with me, enquired about my .co.uk domain name and the offer which was made on that domain and asked why I didn't accept the offer. I told him that I know the domain has potential and worth more than the offer of GBP 500.

After asking few questions, the member went ahead and hand registered the .uk (not .co.uk, as I own it) domain.

Probably he doesn't realise that he can hand reg the domain but cant give it 18 yrs of age, which my co.uk domain has. Moreover, .co.uk is the de-facto standard in UK , not simply .uk

Even if a site is built on .uk domain, people will automatically assume it .co.uk and free traffic will come on .co.uk domain, so I am good.

Inspite of the above facts, there are some lesson learnt :

a) Book both .co.uk and .uk domains together as buyer expect both of them included in the same price!
b) Be careful not to disclose pricing / bids etc on public forum until sale goes through COMPLETELY.

You have been warned.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that you could not own the .uk domain if you didn't own the co.uk as well? I have not ventured into .uk domains so I dont know what the requirements could be.....

•••
Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that you could not own the .uk domain if you didn't own the co.uk as well? I have not ventured into .uk domains so I dont know what the requirements could be.....

I have filed a complaint (Dispute Resolution Request) with Nominet and they are resolving it...that guy's happiness is going to be short lived..

•••

afaik, this is only valid for domains registered prior to a certain date (I think it's somewhere in 2014)

if one registers a .co.uk today then another can register the same name in .uk with no problem

again, that's how it used to be.. maybe things have changed?

•••
Last edited:
•••
Just to update you all, I have gained the ownership for .uk version of the domain name in question :)

•••
Nimtree, how and why would they give you the .uk?

is it a registered trademark?

•••
I did the same thing but didn't know. I acquired internet.uk and had it for a week before I received a refund with an explanation like above that you have to have the .co.uk to own the.uk at least until june 2019

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back