Dynadot

Be careful with Dynadot renewal prices

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,

I just was surprised when I noticed the .im renewal price was $30. Unfortunately my domain was expired and I could not even unlock it to transfer it out. On my email notification it wasn't mentioned the renewal price. After this, I checked their price list and noticed that the renewal price can even be 3 tomes more than the registration price. Their support says some registration prices are promo prices and not regular prices, well that may be true, but they do not mention anywhere the regular registration prices! :td:
So here you can compare their price list (reg fee / renewal fee)
f5tt.png

I decided to move away from them! >:(
I was never expecting this from them!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No problem, alien51. -EM- has just amended his first post to include the Dynadot Price List which proves what he was claiming is not true. It was posted all along, but -EM- never decided to go looking for it until after his domains had expired. There's no games being played here by Dynadot. They do it the same at GoDaddy, and every other registrar. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
•••
What good is knowing the regular registration price, When the only price you can pay is the promo price. The only price you need to know before you have registered is the renewal cost (which would be the closest to any regular registration price). This price is clearly described on their website and it is your responsibility to check this out before you purchase a domain. Caveat Emptor.
:-/
You came in here complaining that Dynadot did not adequately warn you about the renewal cost, when they have clearly and adequately shown their prices in their price list in a link off the front page.
Yes, but I wanted it to be mentioned in the notification email, like other registrars do.

Also these domains are past renewal date, so you are probably stuck with Dynadot, which is not an abnormal situation. We could ask why you didn't take actions, say 30 days before expiry. Although I don't think you will find much difference between other registrars transfer price, and dynadot's renewal price. I haven't checked that, but I suspect that to be the case.
Because it is my personal business why I didn't take action 30 days before the expiration date and no one has the right to ask that.
$29.99 renewal fee at dynadot, $9.99 transfer fee at name.com

Lastly there is no such thing as a Regular Registration Price.There are only Registration Price (which includes both Promo and and "Regular" Pricing), Renewal Prices, and Transfer Pricing. No registrar I know of has a 4th Category, Regular Registration Price, because there is no such category of pricing..
The "regular" price, as so called the fourth category by you, was introduced to me by dynadot's support, which means the non-promotional registration price of a TLD which is currently promoted. To make things easier to understand, based on dynadot's support, the current registration price for .im, currently promoted, is $8.99, BUT the regular price (the non-promotional price, standard price or whatever) is $29.99 and it is the same with the renewal price.

You blame Dynadot falsely for your situation when I see the predicament you are in to be entirely your fault.
How hard was to write in their front page, ex: .im promo price: $29.99 $8.99 and the same in their price list page. Asking them to add the renewal price in the email would be too much :imho:

No problem, alien51. -EM- has just amended his first post to include the Dynadot Price List which proves what he was claiming is not true. It was posted all along, but -EM- never decided to go looking for it until after his domains had expired. There's no games being played here by Dynadot. They do it the same at GoDaddy, and every other registrar. Caveat Emptor.

Thank you captain.

alien51, Quote where did I complained about their prices.

Last edited:
•••
I don't have any more to add to this thread.

•••
Yes, but I wanted it to be mentioned in the notification email, like other registrars do.

Understandable. It's indeed nice if the registrar mentions the price in the email, albeit it might cause some people to think that there's a cheaper option out there. (which there is if one looks hard enough...)

That's probably one thing that Dynadot and some registrars hope not to happen, albeit that'll (surely) turn off some people. It happens.

That's also why I said that that depends on what one expects. Beyond that, everyone chooses whom to do business with, especially if the latter does what the former expects.

•••
Understandable. It's indeed nice if the registrar mentions the price in the email, albeit it might cause some people to think that there's a cheaper option out there. (which there is if one looks hard enough...)
The truth is, such caveats are standard marketing practices in the free world of Capitalism. It's not illegal. It's like saying: "You didn't tell me about it!", Answer: "...well, you didn't ask me!" Fair enough. It would appear shady. But caveats, are the reason why advertisers put their disclaimers in fine prints.

Sometimes, you have to learn how such Caveats work, and use the promos to your advantage.

However, there are people who have no time to play such games of caveats just to get a 1.99 promo, so they don't bite and leave. But if you want, you can defeat their game plan and get the upper hand without getting yourself screwed by falling to their trap.

For example, i have regged almost 100 domains with Yahoo, using their 1.99 promos. I got screwed the first 3 regs because their caveats are much more complicated that this Dynadot issue. But once i learned how their trick works, i came back full force and was never charged 36.95 for renewals.

•••
I didn't said it is illegal, I said "be careful". It is something that can happen to anyone

•••
I wasn't referring to your issue anymore. So maybe you can give it a rest.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back