IT.COM

Be careful with Dynadot renewal prices

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,

I just was surprised when I noticed the .im renewal price was $30. Unfortunately my domain was expired and I could not even unlock it to transfer it out. On my email notification it wasn't mentioned the renewal price. After this, I checked their price list and noticed that the renewal price can even be 3 tomes more than the registration price. Their support says some registration prices are promo prices and not regular prices, well that may be true, but they do not mention anywhere the regular registration prices! :td:
So here you can compare their price list (reg fee / renewal fee)
f5tt.png

I decided to move away from them! >:(
I was never expecting this from them!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You whining humans can view all the scandalous Renewal pricing of various registrars in a summary posted at the Namesilo.com webpage here:

http://www.namesilo.com/pricing.php

Hope this helps.

•••
I hold my 5 or 6 remaining .im names @ name.com

•••
Thanks for the alert/warning, i use godaddy dnt have any prblm wit them, will keep using godaddy

•••
You should transfer to NAMEBRIGHT.COM. Seriously. I'm sure you'll be happy.

•••
Transferred some names,all .com to enom.com last year at a promo price around $7.50.

They are premium names and I set to auto renew. There are 34 in all. Fortunately just caught the second lot of renewals and saw the price- a bloody scandalous $39.95 per name :'( , 4 names out of the 34.
My fault perhaps for not checking something or other.

Anyway, the remaining names are being moved out and Enom have lost a customer. :P

•••
Yes, but I wanted it to be mentioned in the notification email, like other registrars do.

Understandable. It's indeed nice if the registrar mentions the price in the email, albeit it might cause some people to think that there's a cheaper option out there. (which there is if one looks hard enough...)

That's probably one thing that Dynadot and some registrars hope not to happen, albeit that'll (surely) turn off some people. It happens.

That's also why I said that that depends on what one expects. Beyond that, everyone chooses whom to do business with, especially if the latter does what the former expects.

•••
It's normal that registration price is different from renewal price. Many domain registries are offering promotional prices for the first year of registration. It's not dynadot fault that registries are charging more for the next years.

•••
I would have thought it is standard procedure for every Domainer to check renewal prices, as soon as you regged a domain with a Registrar.

•••
It's normal that registration price is different from renewal price. Many domain registries are offering promotional prices for the first year of registration. It's not dynadot fault that registries are charging more for the next years.

It is normal for a small difference between reg price and renewal, but when it is 2x or even 3x more well, than it is not normal anymore or at last it should be clear. Also it is normal that when the registrar notifies its customers about a domain expiration to show the renewal price as well IMO.

•••
My first year with MelbourneIT, i paid 1.99 for a .COM. And they tried to renew it for 36.50 one month in advance. With other registrars, they would even prevent you from transferring out by making it difficult for you to get the transfer codes.

This is not a first time. It could have been worse for you. Maybe you should make it a habit to set your Auto-Renew settings to "No". :)

•••
It is normal for a small difference between reg price and renewal, but when it is 2x or even 3x more well, than it is not normal anymore or at last it should be clear. Also it is normal that when the registrar notifies its customers about a domain expiration to show the renewal price as well IMO.

One can also say it's (so-called) normal for a registrar not to state the price in their renewal email to their customer. If anything, a customer may expect the renewal price to be included in the email, or whatever else he or she expects.

If that's what you - understandably - expect of a registrar, you might be shocked to know that other registrars do a similar thing. I've received renewal notices from registrars like eNom (through a reseller, actually) and NameSilo that don't state the renewal price, even for a .com.

•••
I think he was more shocked, not by the lack of pricing in the email, but he was shocked the renewal price is so much higher than the reg price.

This astronomical price difference has been like that for so long, it is already considered "normal".

You cannot call yourself a Domainer, if you don't check renewal prices way in advance (or even before you reg something).

•••
I think he was more shocked, not by the lack of pricing in the email, but he was shocked the renewal price is so much higher than the reg price.

This astronomical price difference has been like that for so long, it is already considered "normal".

You cannot call yourself a Domainer, if you don't check renewal prices way in advance (or even before you reg something).

Yup. That's probably what happens when one expects something to be similar or the same for everything else.

•••
This is simply a case of caveat emptor. There are many promo prices on many tld's. It's the TLD itself setting these prices. You cannot blame Dynadot. You don't think Dynadot are taking a hit with the promo pricing, do you? Also I would say most all Registrar's behave in the same way. Like alien51, I think it is the responsibility of the Registrant to manage their Registrations, including their Renewals.

•••
I never said "why do they have higher renewal prices" or "why their renewal price is not the same with reg price."
Seriously, if you don't have time to read the post correctly than do not read and/or post.
I blame dynadot for the lack of information they give through their emails, or even their front page.
They have to make it clear what's the regular price once they advertise a promo price and in the email notifications they have to add the renewal price. Godaddy, name.com and many others do it. I'm asking only to be fair, is it too much???
That is why I posted their price list and highlighted the TLD prices with bigger difference so anyone else can be careful.

•••
..... or even their front page.
If you go to Dynadot's frontpage website, there is a Price List link located at the bottom-left side. It's in the same position as in Name.com's frontpage website.

•••
.tv domains are like that at almost every Registrar, as is .me.

This is not something unusual, I would usually expect this kind of cost with those domains...

I use dynadot as their other prices are cheaper compared to GoDaddy UK (Theyre expensive when they want to sell in GBP :( )

•••
That's a large increase the last few months on dot ws renewals.
It was around $10 or $11.
The guys running ws should have gone for dot web. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
•••
-EM- said:
They have to make it clear what's the regular price once they advertise a promo price and in the email notifications they have to add the renewal price.

No they don't, and as alien51 states you can find the renewal prices on their website https://www.dynadot.com/company/prices.html, in the place alien51 gave you, at the bottom their front page. It can't be much clearer than that.

•••
If you go to Dynadot's frontpage website, there is a Price List link located at the bottom-left side. It's in the same position as in Name.com's frontpage website.

That's a link only, the information is not given in the front page as I said,why are you quoting that part of my post?. And even if you visit that link, the so called "regular price" (from the customer support) is not mentioned at all. Huh?
I was referring to something more visible, that does not need to click on links to get the information, which is on the front page.
ro5n.png

Anyway, I give up. Is useless.
Hope someone else is not going to be confused with their prices in the last minute.

•••
Do you really expect any registrar to put the register/transfer/renewal prices of hundreds of tld's on their front (landing) page. You're dreaming.

•••
Do you really expect any registrar to put the register/transfer/renewal prices of hundreds of tld's on their front (landing) page. You're dreaming.

Did you read my posts? I think you didn't.:bingo:

•••
Oh. I read your posts, but mostly they don't make any sense. For example..

-EM- said:
That's a link only, the information is not given in the front page

which is covered directly to my last posting. It's quite logical for any Registrar to have this as a link off their front page.

Example 2

-EM- said:
And even if you visit that link, the so called "regular price" (from the customer support) is not mentioned at all. Huh?

Yes it is does...

Registration im $8.99
Renewal im $29.99

So I think you should get off whatever you are smoking or popping.

Last edited:
•••
Oh. I read your posts, but mostly they don't make any sense. For example.

which is covered directly to my last posting. It's quite logical for any Registrar to have this as a link off their front page..
If you read only a few words and separate them from the post, it will not make sense. I am not talking about their entire price list (where do you think I made that screenshot in post #1 from?), I am talking about their advertisements they post in their front page.
Example 2

Yes it is does...

Registration im $8.99
Renewal im $29.99

So I think you should get off whatever you are smoking or popping.
You are wrong! Definitely wrong! That price for .im registration is a PROMOTIONAL not the REGULAR price. The regular registration fee for .im should be the same with renewal fee (as their support said) and this is not mentioned anywhere! Comprendo?
Now I ask myself, why do I have to explain you all this? You seem so smart :lol::laugh:

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back